Huntington Beach High School

Public | 9-12 | 1 student

Living in Huntington Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $622,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,850.

Posted June 22, 2014

This is a great school with an amazing nationally recognized arts program called APA. However I have been very disappointed with a couple of the academic teachers. My son struggled in pre-calculus and we made a huge effort to get him help, including spending hundreds of dollars on tutors and attempting to work with his teacher, but she was not willing to work with us or offer any additional help to my son. In spite of all our efforts and my son working extremely hard spending numerous hours of additional study time, he failed this class. His teacher could care less... no one should ever fail a class if they are giving 100 effort.

Posted June 22, 2014

Good school; APA is OK but not in the same league as OCSA. Sports programs are good. Teachers are demanding but fair. One comment posted that she doesn't understand about how working hard results in a failing grade. That's the sound of a participation award mentality that is warping this generation. Kids shouldn't be allowed to think that they will always be successful as long as they try hard.

Posted January 31, 2014

I love Huntington Beach High school. I think its better than many of the other schools in the HBUHSD. I had to do some research since my home school was Marina. (There was NO way I was going to go there!) And Huntington is definitely the right fit for me! I like APA, without it I don't think I would've made so many friends! I do think they need to hire some better math teachers. But they also offer some great electives, like guitar!

Posted January 18, 2013

HBHS is an exceptional school with many dedicated educators that motivate students to work to their full potential. We are very pleased that our daughter is attending this great school! She has truly enjoyed all her teachers and looks forward to classes. Even though the AP classes can be overwhelming with homework, assignments, and reading, she continues to enjoy learning! The Campus atmosphere is also friendly and diverse. A gem of a high school!

Posted January 8, 2013

This school does not protect children that are bullied. They talk a good game. My child was bullied for month's. They did a five minute investigation. The bullies Were not corrected.

Posted October 29, 2012

Regarding the September 7, 2012 post: I disagree about HBHS not helping 'below average kids'. My son scores way below average, in the 6-11 percentile (bottom 10%) on standardized tests since 4th grade, with an 11% on the PSAT last year. He entered HBHS with a 6th grade reading level; he took the HBHS reading class for two years. He was embarrassed - now he reads at 11-12 grade level. He takes college placement courses - and struggles with a few B's, C's & one D. The school created a 4th year math class above algebra 2 and below pre-calc for students like him. It's a struggle for him - we expect his SAT scores to be 320-420 in each area - low. He is in the Academy of the Performing Arts (APA), specifically in the MMET program as a guitarist. Even that was a struggle - he did not get on main stage until his junior year [now he is one of the top guitarists and has a two night show this week]. We have provided tutors at home, we help out and so on. That's his ability level. We have a child in GATE who aces everything -- that's her level. [see my previous post below - he's the one retaking chem]

Posted September 7, 2012

So far I have very little good to say about HBHS. I have had trouble getting help for a below average student since freshmen year and we are now a Junior. No one seems to care about the below average kids. Yes, they offer tons of great stuff for above average kids but nothing in the way of extra help for the others. I would only recommend this school if you have a child utilizing the arts program, honors or leadership programs. They finally got rid of a principal that needed to go. So I am hopeful that the new prinicpal will take some interest in the school.

Posted October 3, 2010

We applied and were accepted to several private schools and chose HBHS because: The leadership, teachers, parents, student academics and environment at HBHS IS THE BEST.

Posted September 17, 2009

They have a beautiful campus-excellent teachers and offer AP and honors classes that are comparable to the private schools we have attended. The HBHS teachers are accessible during the tutorial period which is offered every day for students to go and ask questions or get extra help if needed.

Posted September 6, 2009

huntington is an excellent school with great teachers and a fun learning experience. not to mention we have a great reputation.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 26, 2009

I am very happy with HB High all in academic standard, APA and Sport program. My first's now attending UC. My second is a Varsity's. My thrid will be there in a couple of year. Their goals are the higher education, nothing less.

Posted January 28, 2009

Huntington Beach High School was one of my most fondest memories. It is where I created an academic path to my college dreams, and where I made life long friendships. For the most part, my teachers were incredible and knew what we were capable of and push us to the limit. I always felt safe and at home at Huntington. I will always be a proud Oiler!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 7, 2008

My daughter graduated in '06, my son will graduate in '10. I have been (overall) very happy with HBHS, and have had timely responses from teachers about issues. My biggest complaint - hire more math teachers with above-average qualifications - Ms. Bojorquez can't do it ALL (& she is amazing!!!)

Posted April 15, 2007

I love the parental involvement at Huntington Beach High School. The principal has transformed our school into a great high school where parents are welcome and where students needs are put first. The academic programs have improved significantly under the principal's leadership. We are very happy at HBHS and believe our child is receiving a great education. The emphasis upon technology is truly terrific. The new parent portal is a great tool to communicate with parents and let us know our child's progress. We wish all teachers would use this. The school is undergoing a modernization program to improve the facilities. This is very exciting. The students seem to have a lot of school spirit and appear to love their school. We are very proud of the California Distinguished School Award that HBHS is receiving this year. This shows great leadership.

Posted April 8, 2007

Teachers demonstrate a refreshing commitment to students and scholarship. In an age of apathy, our child's teachers break the stereotype. Several teachers surprised us when they called or wrote emails simply to establish rapport and later to simply share good news about our child's progress. MUN Remains strong and provides life skills unlike nothing else. School remains under construction but is making progress. Principal has yet to write a review here even though it was brought to his attention 6 months ago AND we were disappointed he did not acknowledge or show interest in other circumstances that elevated the school's/district's exposure to risk. Experience with V.P. Guidance & Academic Counselors extremely positive. Administrative Support staff helpful and attempts to solve problems. V.P. Activities lacking in ADULT communication skills (including 'listening' skills workshop)as well as follow through/promises/commitments. Strong Communications skills & demonstrated accountability are two key elements integral to effective leadership.

Posted March 4, 2006

This classic two-story school has a lot of history and is going through a major facelift in it's 100th anniversary. Though it may seem like a laid back, beach-bum atmosphere, it takes it's academics very seriously. There is a high attendance of theatrical of students. It is a very well known school and is equipment with the most updated computers and equipment available. Plus their sports departments are all very competive.

Posted February 1, 2006

Great surf team but other sports do not shine as much.

Posted January 6, 2006

The school is overdue for a major make-over. Even the walkways. The bathrooms are just gross. Classes are overcrowded.

Posted November 7, 2005

I am very disappointed that communication from teachers to parents is virtually non existent. When I requested information regarding my Honors English students' performance in class, the teacher responded with, 'I have 180 students, I can't tell you how your child is doing. Ask your child.' Furthermore, I emailed the principal, Mr. Linzey, and have not received a response from him---my email explicitly requested a response. Educators gripe about not being viewed as true professionals, however they shirk one of their professional obligations, which is to communicate with parents re: student performance. HBHS has been a true disappointment from my standpoint as an involved parent.

Posted October 29, 2005

I am a graduate and now parent of Huntington Beach High and can speak highly for their progams and teachers. My only problem was this school was so big, it is hard for some to find their way and niche. GATE and MUN programs were fantastic.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

333 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

716 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

740 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

205 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

409 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

725 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

222 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

726 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

714 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

247 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

204 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

629 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

215 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

629 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students38%

English learner16%
Fluent-English proficient and English only82%
Gifted and talented100%
Parent education - declined to state80%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students7%

Hispanic or Latino0%
Students with no reported disability0%
Parent education - declined to state6%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

745 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

743 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students95%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room