K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Posted October 15, 2015
It saddens me to give such a low rating to a once great school. Things do change and Crescents Valley Adventist School has unfortunately changed for the worse. The changes are very apparent with the number of principal’s the school has rotated through. CVAS is currently on its seventh principal in nine years. The School Board chair also was dismissed abruptly this year. There is only a single teacher that has stayed through all sever principals. If you ask the school they will tell you the problems started with the financial crisis and they have never been able to recover. Certainly the financial crisis did put a burden on the school, but the leadership was ill-equipped to recognize what made the school great in the first place and how to promote these qualities. Instead, what took place was a sad story of self-promotion at the expense of the school. The worst example of this was the promotion of Wendy Newmyer from day care lady to school principal. Wendy didn’t have the experience or qualifications to become the school principal and in retrospect her time at the school was the most devastating. Although Ms. Newmyer has been replaced, the damage done to the school still exists. Several good families left during this time and a very poor choice for teacher replacement was made with the hiring of Chanda Castaneda. I believe the spiritual examples of Ms. Newmyer and Ms. Cataneda are vacuous. I have no doubt there were forces fixated on destroying such a loving, happy, Christ centered school. I wish it were not true but at CVAS they succeeded.

Posted May 28, 2015
I’m afraid this school has been infiltrated. There is no longer a loving Christian presence like when Ned Brown was the Principal. This didn’t happen overnight and there is no one person or even a group that can be blamed entirely. I can say for sure though that the School Board took a huge risk hiring Wendy Newmeyer as the Principal and it didn’t pay off. Crescenta Valley Adventist School is nowhere near the school it used to be. I’ve read a few of the reviews on this site and you can see a stark difference of opinion of how the school is doing. I’ve actually recognized a few of the five star reviews and these came from teachers and board members. In my opinion these folks are not unbiased.

Crescenta Valley Adventist School 2

Posted March 30, 2015
Wendy came to me the other day and asked why my two boys were not coming back next year. I told her it was because the commute was to long but we've been making the same commute for five years. The truth is there are some things going on in the 7th/8th grade I don't like. All these strange LAB's going home and the kids are showing the stresses. So many of the long time families are already gone, we're going to a school with larger enrollment.

Posted March 13, 2015
I am beyond impressed with the recent turn around in this school. As someone who has been a part of this school family for 10 years, it is evident to me that the staff, the school board, and many of the families are working very hard to make this place a caring, Christian environment. From the increase in academic excellence to all of the after school programs created within the last 2 years, CVAS has really taken off! The sports program (just started within the last 2 years) coupled with the creation of our mascot (The Rams) made our school united and excited to be a part of something so fun! All of these improvements have made a big difference, but the most important change on the campus is the spiritual one. I see the junior high students leading in the school wide chapels as well as the staff joining the students every morning in school prayer. Where else can you go to pray and praise God in a safe and nurturing environment? I intend on being a part of CVAS for many more years and encourage everyone to check it out!

Crescenta Valley Adventist School 2

Posted March 05, 2015
The principal asked that we get on this site and submit a review. I was a bit torn about doing this because I ve been quiet about my feelings this year with the changes happening. I don t like this new direction and the changes made by the consultant. Some of these changes include not letting the kids keep things in their desks. That doesn t make any sense to me. When I asked about that policy I was told it was to keep up appearances . I thought the focus should be on the students first. That policy was then reversed which made me question why it was implemented in the first place. There are several small but strange things like this that have taken place. The kids now are getting in trouble for leaving a pencil on a desk or a water bottle on a table. These things have really changed the outlook of the students and I see it in their faces. My daughter tells me she doesn t like school. We won t be returning.

Posted March 02, 2015
The 7th/8th grade teacher does not have experience teaching multi subjects. This lack of experience shows in her inability to explain some subjects. It is well known that she often asks Math questions from one of the 8th grade students because she doesn t understand the concept. Even with this mediocre education being provided, the School continually attempts to try and pretend this is some sort of college prep school.

Posted February 26, 2015
Crescenta Valley Adventist School is such an incredible school to work at. Since day one, I have felt very welcomed by the parents and staff, both old and new. All of the teachers and principal know every student on a first name basis; we are the true definition of a school family. Anytime a student or teacher needs help, there are always helpful hands available. We are so fortunate to have the opportunity of meeting each of our student s individual needs. Not only are we teaching the foundations of education, but God is incorporated in everything that we do in the classroom. This school has been around for a long time and I see this school continuing to prosper, all through the work of the Lord. May God continue to bless this amazing school family and the positive parents who continue to support our school each and everyday.

Posted February 25, 2015
Crescenta Valley Adventist School is a very special place to be a teacher where we work hard to teach the students spiritually, academically, and physically. We have a strong academic curriculum with individualized instruction, utilizing the benefits of combined classrooms where the younger grade hears their peer s instruction and can grasp the skill that they will be taught the following year. Not only do we advance a student if they show mastery, we can also assist a struggling student to receive the benefits of hearing a review when taught to the younger grade. Academics is vital, but a vibrant multicultural campus is extremely important to us as well. We have international students who come in to learn English through total immersion. This is a benefit to them and us: they learn to read, write and speak English and we get an opportunity to learn about their language and culture. Come take a look at our campus and you will see what the buzz is all about!

Posted February 24, 2015
My family has a long history with CVAS and it used to be a great Christ loving environment to bring your children. Sadly, things do change. The school has some consistency problems. There have been six different Principals in the last eight years and there has been a 90% teacher turnover in that same time. It would appear the School Board has become desperate and the current principal was the day-care lady just a few years ago. The Principal, Wendy Newmyer, seems overwhelmed and ill-equipped to handle any concerns or problems. It saddens me but I no longer can recommend this school.

Posted February 21, 2015
CVAS is an amazing school! It focuses on the whole child-mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. The faculty challenges the students in being critical and creative thinkers. Incorporating sports and encouraging healthy living is emphasized on campus. Because of the small classroom size, students as well as teachers, are allowed to connect and build meaningful relationships. Most importantly, God is intertwined within all aspects of CVAS. From the minute you walk onto the campus, you can feel that God's presence is there. CVAS is a wonderful school!

Crescenta Valley Adventist School
6245 Honolulu Avenue, La Crescenta, CA  91214
Last modified Crescenta Valley Adventist School is a Private school that serves grades K-8