Bad
Good

My children have attended Vlma for five years. We as a family love this school. My son experienced some bulling in 5th grade but had utmost support from the staff all around. I am involved in pta and all aspects of the goings on in this school, as it may not be perfect I dont want my kids to attend anywhere else. I have a 5 yr old who will be attending VLMA for 8 years!! When ever a problem arises rest assured it will be solved. And yes we have gone thru a few principles it is not the school, 1 retired and the other moved up in her career. Lots of things are changing as the years progress but they soar in loving the children and wanting the best for them!!

If you aren't happy with your school, you can always bring a charter school in to take over. It would take some work, but there are some great charter schools looking for a place to locate.

Teaching staff is nice, but aren't teaching to the realistic expectations of preparing the students for high school, as they don't hold the students accountable for not turning in their homework in on time. They allow too many chances to make up missed or late work which they give full credit for & allow for students to retake failed tests. I guess it's understandable to want to improve their students confidence in their academic performance by doing these types of things, but it doesn't teach the students any responsibility and gives a false sense of productivity.

I have 3 children at this school and I must say that I am happy to be moving out of the district. The staff is ok but the teachers that my 2 girls had are not ones that I want to be teaxhing my children. I don't feel like they learned much. When my child got bullied by a boy I heard nothing from the teacher. My other daughter had incidents with a few kids as well and I can't help but wonder where are the teachers when things are happening. They use the dojo system that they DO NOT comment on and when I call all is said is that my child is great? My husband hates the dojo!! My sons teacher was awesome on the other hand. She communicated very well. My son learned in her class. I am just really greatful that my kids will not be attending this school next year.

I ama student and I am in the student council currently we got a new leader/supervisor for it and we have had less meetings and spirit days

My son has been attending this school for the last 3 years and is now in 6th grade. It's the middle of the school year and I am now looking into moving him from this school. We have had 3 different principles over the last 3 years, As I read the older reviews I've noticed that this school has had an issue with keeping a principle. We have had lots of issues with my student being picked on and bullied with very little assistance from the school in following up on our complaints. I've also had issues with the teachers communicating with us when there has been issues with my student in class. It shouldn't take me emailing them to get an idea of what's going on. This school fails all around and I am happy to be moving my student.

VLMA is an excellent school. I have 3 children going to the school kinder, second and fourth grade. All the teachers that my children have had have been wonderful. The school does a great job keeping the upper grades away from the elementary kids. They have minimal contact through out the day. I have yet to experience a problem with the office staff. They have recently added new gates and started a new system when entering the school making the campus safer for the children and staff. I would recomend this school to any parents.

Vista La Mesa is the worst school you could send your child to. The office staff is horrible, very rude, most of the teacher's could care less of the children there. They worry more about upholding an image of this perfect school which they are not. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Initially, we were concerned about this school upon registering our daughter, for first grade. She was fortunate to have Mrs. Wood as her room teacher and words cannot even express the gratitude and appreciation we have for her dedication, commitment and patience she personifies with each student. She is a remarkable teacher who takes pride in supporting each student in allowing and encouraging them to develop their skills with comfort and ease. We strongly recommend VLMA as one of the "BEST" schools in San Diego, with a staff who remains vigilant and true to their dedication of service to our children, our future! Mrs. Wood, we as parents sincerely thank you for your day to day support and assistance with the developmental learning process for our child and all the children fortunate to be in your class.

I am a parent of a 1st grader attending Mrs. Hayden's class. I was EXTREMELY SKEPTICAL of this school at first when I enrolled my son. In fact, I was thinking of going to the district to have my son enrolled somewhere else because I didn't think this school was going to be so great. BUT I'm very glad I didn't. Since enrolled, my son, who has been enrolled in SPEECH THERAPY since preschool, is now reading .... and this is NOT A JOKE.... 38 BOOKS A DAY!!!! And all because of the reward system Mrs. Hayden has in her 1st grade class. My son made it HIS GOAL TO FINISH HIS ENTIRE READING LOG (WITH 38 SLOTS) IN A SINGLE DAY!!! All because he wanted to be rewarded with 2 new books for finishing 2 sides of his reading log. Also I received his DISTRICT TEST SCORE TODAY AND HE SCORED ADVANCED!!!! He had a 94% rating in Mathematics! This school is making a SERIOUS EFFORT TO TURN THINGS AROUND and work together to give our kids a great education. I couldn't be happier! I see a lot of parents coming to this school and getting really involved. Mrs. Hayden is top notch! She gives me calls and talks to me daily about his progress and really helps me understand any areas my son needs help in.

Last modified Vista La Mesa Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.