La Mesa, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted June 09, 2014
Teaching staff is nice, but aren't teaching to the realistic expectations of preparing the students for high school, as they don't hold the students accountable for not turning in their homework in on time. They allow too many chances to make up missed or late work which they give full credit for & allow for students to retake failed tests. I guess it's understandable to want to improve their students confidence in their academic performance by doing these types of things, but it doesn't teach the students any responsibility and gives a false sense of productivity.

Posted June 07, 2014
I have 3 children at this school and I must say that I am happy to be moving out of the district. The staff is ok but the teachers that my 2 girls had are not ones that I want to be teaxhing my children. I don't feel like they learned much. When my child got bullied by a boy I heard nothing from the teacher. My other daughter had incidents with a few kids as well and I can't help but wonder where are the teachers when things are happening. They use the dojo system that they DO NOT comment on and when I call all is said is that my child is great? My husband hates the dojo!! My sons teacher was awesome on the other hand. She communicated very well. My son learned in her class. I am just really greatful that my kids will not be attending this school next year.

Posted May 07, 2014
I ama student and I am in the student council currently we got a new leader/supervisor for it and we have had less meetings and spirit days

Posted January 28, 2014
My son has been attending this school for the last 3 years and is now in 6th grade. It's the middle of the school year and I am now looking into moving him from this school. We have had 3 different principles over the last 3 years, As I read the older reviews I've noticed that this school has had an issue with keeping a principle. We have had lots of issues with my student being picked on and bullied with very little assistance from the school in following up on our complaints. I've also had issues with the teachers communicating with us when there has been issues with my student in class. It shouldn't take me emailing them to get an idea of what's going on. This school fails all around and I am happy to be moving my student.

Posted September 04, 2013
VLMA is an excellent school. I have 3 children going to the school kinder, second and fourth grade. All the teachers that my children have had have been wonderful. The school does a great job keeping the upper grades away from the elementary kids. They have minimal contact through out the day. I have yet to experience a problem with the office staff. They have recently added new gates and started a new system when entering the school making the campus safer for the children and staff. I would recomend this school to any parents.

Posted August 04, 2013
Vista La Mesa is the worst school you could send your child to. The office staff is horrible, very rude, most of the teacher's could care less of the children there. They worry more about upholding an image of this perfect school which they are not. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted November 14, 2011
Initially, we were concerned about this school upon registering our daughter, for first grade. She was fortunate to have Mrs. Wood as her room teacher and words cannot even express the gratitude and appreciation we have for her dedication, commitment and patience she personifies with each student. She is a remarkable teacher who takes pride in supporting each student in allowing and encouraging them to develop their skills with comfort and ease. We strongly recommend VLMA as one of the "BEST" schools in San Diego, with a staff who remains vigilant and true to their dedication of service to our children, our future! Mrs. Wood, we as parents sincerely thank you for your day to day support and assistance with the developmental learning process for our child and all the children fortunate to be in your class.

Posted November 01, 2011
I am a parent of a 1st grader attending Mrs. Hayden's class. I was EXTREMELY SKEPTICAL of this school at first when I enrolled my son. In fact, I was thinking of going to the district to have my son enrolled somewhere else because I didn't think this school was going to be so great. BUT I'm very glad I didn't. Since enrolled, my son, who has been enrolled in SPEECH THERAPY since preschool, is now reading .... and this is NOT A JOKE.... 38 BOOKS A DAY!!!! And all because of the reward system Mrs. Hayden has in her 1st grade class. My son made it HIS GOAL TO FINISH HIS ENTIRE READING LOG (WITH 38 SLOTS) IN A SINGLE DAY!!! All because he wanted to be rewarded with 2 new books for finishing 2 sides of his reading log. Also I received his DISTRICT TEST SCORE TODAY AND HE SCORED ADVANCED!!!! He had a 94% rating in Mathematics! This school is making a SERIOUS EFFORT TO TURN THINGS AROUND and work together to give our kids a great education. I couldn't be happier! I see a lot of parents coming to this school and getting really involved. Mrs. Hayden is top notch! She gives me calls and talks to me daily about his progress and really helps me understand any areas my son needs help in.

Vista La Mesa Academy 4

Posted April 29, 2011
Hey you the one talking bad about the 6-8th graders. I am a 7th grader at that school. i understand that some kids are immature. But remember you can't protect your child forever from hearing sailor words. life as we know it is filled with people who talk bad, i hear curse words ALL the time on streets and in stores. Not ALL the older kids are rude. Remember YOUR CHILD WILL BE A TEEN SOON! Around the age 11 to 16 your child [not so little no more] will be one of those "SO CALLED BAD KIDS" Personally I HATE CURSE WORDS! Also we 6-8th graders LOVE the litter kids. they are soo cute and funny. Our 6-8thy grade teachers are HIGHLY educatded, and even the science teacher have published a book before. and went to the BEST collages! Also a other personal thing is that i dont like the new 6-8th grade classes. they treat us like we are the bad guys and they treat us like childern. Also the money is going to build a new libary in lemon grove middle school. and other money goes to less fortunate childern. Now have a nice lovely day =)

Posted February 24, 2011
This school has gone down hill alot in the past 3 years that we have attended. They brought in the 6-8th grade students for 2 years while the middle school is being remodeled. This forces the younger kids to have contact with the not so nice older kids. I hear the "F" word everyday while walking my 2nd grader into the school. I wish this school was more focused on the students instead of updating the building and the security gates! I understand that California is under a huge budget problem but this school receives federal money for each military student that attends, where is that money going????

Vista La Mesa Academy
3900 Violet Street, La Mesa, CA  91941
Last modified Vista La Mesa Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vista La Mesa Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top