Posted September 21, 2014
The counselors are terrible. They don't know what they are doing and don't know who to direct parents to for answers. One counselor mockingly responded with "that's not in my pay scale". One of my children ended up with a life threatening illness and ended up missing the entire school year. Up until then, she was in the G.A.T.E. program, honors and I.B. program with a 4.3 G.P.A. but received an "F" in one of her classes because she wasn't "physically in class"; she was in the hospital. Although, she was able to complete all class work at home and at the hospital, they tried kicking her out of school and not let her graduate with her class. My other kids attended here for a short time also. There were a few excellent teachers but others were mediocre to poor with questionable professionalism. The campus is old and tired and lacks a dedicated football field. But ultimately the determining factor for us to leave the school and put our children at private school was the incompetent counselors. I jokingly used to say when I retire I would become a Wal-Mart greeter but now I say I will become a counselor at E.T.H.S. since it doesn't require knowledge or effort and pays better.

Posted July 17, 2014
Transferred my child from Santa Margarita and after she graduated she told me it was the best thing that ever happened to her. She wasn't bullied at Santa Margarita, she just felt like she couldn't express herself and had some issues with not getting enough science education. She's studying to be a MD now.

Posted September 06, 2013
I'm a student at El Toro and I think that the school is amazing. The teachers are great, and the school offers a variety of classes; thus ensuring you are happy with the courses you are taking. Also it helps get you used to the real world with the great diversity of people. You have people from different ethnicities, religions, and incomes coming together and getting along; life works that way too. The community always seems to support the school which is important to success. Lastly I would like to add how encouraging everyone is. The faculty encourages people to join lots of clubs and sports teams so the student can feel as comfortable as possible. It's not difficult to get help if you ask. Everyone, especially the teachers, is very supportive and understanding. This is a wonderful school. Go Chargers!!

El Toro High School 4

Posted June 25, 2012
Both of my kids went to El Toro and loved it. It was challenging academically (my kids were average students who had better grades in college), but that's a good thing. The review submitted by a parent whose child is being sent to Silverado is ridiculous. Grades are easily accessed online; a parent who doesn't know his/her child is failing is just plain ignorant and looking for someone to blame. The teachers and principal are dedicated and caring. The many students I met over the years were wonderful, kind human beings; bullying was almost non-existent. The only thing really missing is a football stadium!

El Toro High School 2

Posted May 31, 2012
I go to this school and I'm just not satisfied with it. I don't know if it's just me but I talk to a few of my other friends too and they don't like it here either. Some of the teachers are good but others are horrible. It's also not located in a very good area of the city. El Toro is very old and I'm not sure why we can't redo any buildings, because some of them desperately need it.

Posted June 07, 2011
My daughter has been attending ET High for 2 years now. Not once has she seen a counselor until the last few weeks of school. They called her in to tell her she will be going to Silverado next year. They did not contact me about this nor did they ever send a letter home. So much for early intervention. Why are the counselors even on the payroll if they do absolutely nothing to help the students? This school is full of snooty over paid office staff and counselors who really have no idea what is going on with the students. She also won an Excellence Award AND was given a spot on the High School newspaper about 1 month ago. Now all of that is taken away, and her name isn't even posted on the HS's website as a winner of the Excellence Award, but all the other kids names are there. Funny how this award notification is mailed to my home, however NOTHING about her failing or having to go to another school. I'm actually glad she will be leaving El Toro. Now maybe she will get the help she needs. ET High needs to get their priorities straight!!!

Posted February 16, 2011
This is my 5th year as a parent at ETHS, I cannot say enough about this school; the principal and staff are wonderful and accessible. Unfortunately, some amazing teachers retired last year and it will be hard to fill there shoes; I'm confident that there are more wonderful teachers out there that want to work in such a great environment.. I have never seen nor heard of gang activity. This school has always gotten a bad wrap because of it's location. The different ethnic groups and income levels are a part of real life. Rich, Poor, Black, White are all living together and getting along. The community is also very supportive of our school which shows at most sporting events. Go Chargers.

Posted February 24, 2010
great departments in all subjects! The teachers for AP and IB programs are supportive and give students the materials necessary to succeed. Definitely the best school in the area!

Posted November 06, 2009
This school fails to provide equal opportunities for all students. The staff -teachers, administrative office principal etc. need to be more diversified.

El Toro High School 0

Posted October 18, 2009
I don't know why some are saying there's a gang or violence problem. I don't remember the last time there was a fight or the last time I saw a gang. The administration is not negative, as one reviewer says, nor are the teachers too old. One teacher is retiring this year and another will retire within 5 and they are easily the school's most distinguished, loved, and inspiring teachers.

El Toro High School
25255 Toledo Way, Lake Forest, CA  92630
Last modified El Toro High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
El Toro High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top