Lancaster, CA

Del Sur Senior Elementary School 2

Posted May 11, 2014
Not preparing kids for high school! Like any school, very hit & miss with this staff. Sadly, middle school math & language arts teachers are not good at all. My child has not written one single essay here. Eighth grade teacher said she didn't have to teach writing, not her year. Yet, WUSD advertises students will write narratives, persuasive essays, etc. My kid, an A student, can't write worth a darn. They have huge literature anthologies; teachers teach less than ten stories from them. They say they will teach this & that; give an assignment or test; kids do badly; teacher gives up & throws it out of curriculum. I honestly don't think my kid learned anything in two years of language arts. Math teacher hardly used the textbook, making up her own curriculum. Kids who took her Algebra 1 are having to retake Algebra 1 in high school. Kids get A's here & think they are really smart, only to go to high school & realize that they are behind & can't compete. Kids coming out of Hillview are far better prepared & are top ranked at h.s. PRINCIPAL needs to step it up & take a look at what these teachers are not doing that they should be. WUSD should take a look at what is going on here.

Posted March 14, 2014
I had a horrible experience with this school. My son was in Kindergarten for 3 months, when the principal Vice principal, and teacher had a meeting with My husband, and I. The teacher said while my son was Bright, and caring he wouldn't do well in 1st grade And that I should remove him from school, and try Kindergarten next year. Her exact words after three months. I am happy to report I immediately enrolled my Son at Desert Montessori Academy where he Has been doing magnificently! He reads, and is doing 1st grade work. His teacher loves having him in class. He loves school again. Del Sur Elementart Could have made an innocent child dread school The restof their school career if left with them. Please research this school. I am not the only one Who has had this experience. Do not let Them drag your child down. They do not deserve The star above.... But you had to choose something

Posted March 13, 2014
My boys and I absolutley LOVE this school! The teachers and Staff are wonderful and actualy CARE about the students! It is an AMAZING community school!

Posted January 24, 2014
I went to Del Sur from kindergarten to eighth grade and loved it . Del Sur is an amazing school especially the teachers make it so fun to learn. I especially loved being able to play on the volleyball,basketball,soccer,and track team. I participated in both Cjsf and was in the AVID program there and graduated as a valedictorian. The only way you can truly love school is by actually putting yourself out there and not being afraid to have fun as well as having a time managed schedule with both school and the extra curricular activities.

Posted January 23, 2014
Del Sur School is a jewel in the desert of the Antelope Valley. The teachers there really go out of their way to help each and every student succeed. The staff including the new principal this year is caring and involved with everyday student activities. They always have fun events going on through the PTSA and ASB. There are so many teachers with great attitudes towards student achievement and incorporating the AVID program at all grade levels. With the change of curriculum move to common core and the funding options open; the school provides an atmosphere for parent, student, and staff involvement reaching for success. The teaching staff takes on many extra curricular actives for students to participate in. I highly recommend Del Sur School K-8 program to anyone considering moving into the area or looking to transfer. It has a family atmosphere and small classroom size to allow individualize attention for kids.

Posted May 08, 2013
I went to Del Sur from kindergarten to 7th grade. The teachers were kind but the children were awful. I was emotionally and physically bullied and the staff, especially the principal, did NOTHING to stop it. I ended up having to leave because the harassment was so terrible. 1 star is being too generous.

Posted February 10, 2013
I agree with the feb. 1, 2011 posting. In my experience as a real parent who is not employed by the school, some of the teachers are very unkind and emotionally bully children. When brought to the principal's attention, he will not even consider it as a possibility and has no concern for the physical and emotional safety of our children. My child loved school until I sent my child here. After one week my straight A student was begging me to remove them from this school to get away from the teacher. Some teachers are very nice here but if the principal will not acknowledge problems with teachers, who make the kids who want to learn afraid of going to school, The bullying will never stop and it will be someone else's kid tomorrow.

Posted February 09, 2013
Great school! Love the principal, he is rarely in his office during school hours as he is usally on campus or in classrooms interacting with students and staff, though is available for parents when necessary. Office staff is nice, but are frequently huddled in a gossip session when I visit the office. Most of the teachers are fantastic, taking a personal interest in their students and bending over backwards to help them achieve. However, there are a few "bad apples" that seem as though they have been teaching for too long and should be replaced with teachers that are more interested in the students. That is true at many schools though. Great PTA, that is very helpful with student activities, supplies, etc. School safety has never been a concern of mine for either of my children at Del Sur, and the site is always clean and well taken care of. Love the small town and close knit community feel of the school. Would like to see more enrichment opportunities for above average students, afterschool activities besides sports and more elective options for middle schoolers.

Posted September 17, 2011
The principal this year is exceptional. Instead of how most people in business and the government employees use the word "unfortunately" and quote policy with a smile on their face while you suffer problems, this principal does not do that. He has a great attitude and works with the parents. The children here are much more well behaved than the other schools in the district. My child says that the use of foul language, bullying, and "messing" up the bathrooms for fun does not go on at this school. The teachers are very organized and I always know exactly what homework has for the entire week at the beginning of the week. The way the principal has rearranged the pick up area for walk up parents to avoid the turn around traffic is excellent. It promotes safety for the children, avoids jaywalking parents, and parents do not back out onto the turn around traffic from a parked space. He understands how to limit liability and make parents happy.

Posted September 16, 2011
Terrific school my kids have done well here. Their special education class is the best ever and the principal is outstanding

Del Sur Senior Elementary School
9023 West Avenue H, Lancaster, CA  93536
Last modified Del Sur Senior Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Del Sur Senior Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top