Sundown Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Lancaster

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $174,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,100.

Posted September 29, 2012

Sundown has been great, my two children love it there .They look forward to school. Every teacher has been awesome, my daughter is now in 4th and my son is in 2nd grade.

Posted January 5, 2012

I am shocked at the comment that the new principal is rude and difficult to deal with. My grandson attended Sundown last year (2010/2011) in Kindergarten. He was having a significant amount of behavioral problems and the teacher and principal took an extreme amount of interest in his behavior and education. They were extremely understanding and supportive of our interest and we worked cooperatively to enhance his education and help control his behavior. He has since gone to live with his father and been diagnosed with ADHD. He is continuing to have behavioral problms despite the medication. The current teacher, principal and school are not nearly as understanding nor cooperative. I believe Sundown deserves a 5 star rating based on th cooperation and understanding we received.

Posted January 4, 2012

I noticed the previous complaints about the office staff being rude. I have experienced this over the 4 years that my children have been there but I must say that I have seen a great improvement. As parents we have a voice and a call or letter to the district office does not get ignored. Due to school traffic the bus for after school transportation has been a huge relief. It drops off three blocks from our house and they do not have to take it in the morning to be able to ride it home. I am confident my children are getting one of the best educations possible.

Posted September 8, 2011

I have had nothing but wonderful experiences at Sundown. My daughter has only been there for a month, but she can't say enough about how wonderful her teacher is. She is learning so much more than I ever expected. I communicate with her teacher on a daily basis and she is always up front and honest, good or bad. As far as the comment that a grandparent made regarding the mohawk, they are extremely distracting to students who often have a hard enough time concentrating in the first place. I'm sure if he had a haircut that reflected his heritage since the first day of school, and it was explained to the principal the reason for the dress code violation, she would be more than understanding. If a child is only four and is unable to follow the directions of the adults, maybe he is too young to begin a public kindergarten. The kindergarten students are kept separated in a single yard with direct supervision, and many four year old children aren't ready for that type of environment. I love Sundown and am proud to send my child there!

Posted September 6, 2011

It seems to me alot of people agree the office staff is rude. The kindergarten teacher my grandson has is also rude. My grandson was lost the first week of school he is only four his parents received no calls no apoligies. There reply was we found him. The first or second day she also told my daughter that my grandson was very immature. How do you know that the first or second day. Among other remarks she has made my daughter got a call from the principle and said she has to cut his mohawk or he cannot return to school. I find that amazing they would take the time to call about his hair but not about the fact he was lost. What about all the other kids that have mohawks or different haircuts? He is part indian this is his heritage. Why dont they concern themselves with all the kids that are cruel to kids at that school and not about a four year olds haircut. My tax dollars at work!!!! I am sure there are kids that go to that school that there parents dont pay any taxes so focus somewhere else.

Posted April 26, 2011

I love that the principal knows each chld, and recognizes parents. My kindergartener is definitely challenged this year!! The curriculum and teachers are very helpful and competent. I think my only complaints would be the quality of lunches (made at the district office), and huge class sizes (32 in Kindergarten class with one teacher=sad :( ). Those are state and district issues...... Love Sundown! :)

Posted October 10, 2010

I really like Sundown this is my son's second year there. The only problem is that I do not think that the curriculum for kindergarten was challenging enough for the children, but other than that I really love the school..The parking police are brutal.

Posted February 24, 2010

I was amazed how my child's education went up and every day she loved going to Sundown : thank you Sundown!

Posted November 16, 2009

I agree that the staff at Sundown seem to have an unpleasant attitude. Especially the new principal. Don't really have much good to say about the school, most teachers are nice, the kindergarden teachers need more training on how to deal with students new to a stuctured enviornment, teachers and principals need to learn that school should be a fun learning enviornment, not boot camp!

Posted April 7, 2009

I am rateing sundown as a five star elementary school. I am so happy that i feel secured with my kindergarten girl being there.

Posted March 12, 2009

I loved sundown when my daughter went there. The staff and teachers were all so nice and m daughter thrived in the caring enviroment. Like most schools all over traffic is busy after and before school but I wont hold that against the school or staff. I give sundown 5 stars!

Posted January 27, 2009

I think that Sundown is a pretty good school. I was going to rate it at 5 stars because my son's teacher is absolutely awesome. A huge turnoff for me is the poor attitude from the staff in the front office. I hate going in there because they are often quite rude and short with me. Also, good luck if you're picking your child up after school. The traffic is a nightmare and there is no place to park.

Posted January 13, 2009

My son has been at Sundown since 1st grade and is in 5th grade now. It use to be one of the top elementary schools. I was extremely happy with Sundown until this year. I'm shocked at the communication level with his teacher. I still after 3 weeks of phone messages, emails, and notes sent to her have not yet recieved a response on a simple question. My son seems so dis-organized and has lack of interest in learning. He has always been a near straight A student and I can't even get an update on how he is doing. He's also been getting bullied by classmates which never happened before and even came home saying '(this kid's) gang...!! He can't even eat lunch without kids trying to take it from him. I'm extremely disappointed with Sundown. Before I never worried for his safty now I do!

Posted August 12, 2008

My Son was diagnosed with ADHD, and was put on medication, with behavioral problems still happening while medicated. Almost getting him expelled from his kindergarten class in a School San Fernando Valley. He was then sent to live me (Dad) in the middle of the year, he was enrolled in Sundown and was also taken off the ADHD meds. Due to issues at his prior school he was put in a Special Ed. class. With the help of wonderful staff at Sundown, he was showing major improvement and was able to earn his way back in to a General Education class within 30 days! The first month at Sundown he shown a 70% behavioral improvement with out medication. He has continued to show improvement. Staff members and I are still working together( 1st grade) to make my Son grow up to be a Successful! THANK YOU SUNDOWN!

Posted May 27, 2008

This School is One of the best schools in Quartz Hill, California Probley the Whole Los Angeles Area I am so happy with my sons teacher Mrs. Morreale. She is so fun. and helps my child out with anything he needs extra help with we love Mrs. Morreale

Posted May 14, 2008

I am a parent of two students attending Sundown. This is an excellent school. I am very impressed with the school district's selection of teachers. I am convinced that the teachers of Sundown are of the highest quality. My children are held to high academic standards and are making excellent academic growth. I have never had a concern for my children's safety while at school. The administration enforces appropriate security measures to ensure a peaceful campus. The school offers several academic interventions for students in need and have met the individual needs of my students in any way necessary. I believe that the staff truly cares about each and every child. I am proud to have my children attend Sundown Elementary.

Posted February 13, 2008

I agree that the school is over crowded. They keep adding YMCA bungalows. The only good thing about this school is there's a lot of parent volunteer. The school needs teachers that are competent.

Posted February 12, 2008

The school is over crowto ded and not academically challenging for students that wants to learn more. The school needs teachers that love/knows to teach and care about their students.

Posted January 26, 2008

I'm happy with my childs education, and teacher.

Posted January 23, 2008

I am VERY concerned about the numbers of students per classroom. Homes have been built right up to the front door and it is unfair that our kids who have lived in the area for 8+ yrs have to suffer because of real estate greed! Sundown does NOT rate well in academics contrary to some of the reviews I read on here.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students47%

• Year-round
Fax number
  • (661) 722-0196

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6151 West Avenue J-8