No rating

Oakwood Academy

Private | K-4 | 81 students

Living in Long Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $365,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,380.

Posted May 27, 2014

This school academics for the most part are great and push your child to excel. However this school tends to be test driven and when a child is doing poorly or lacking in a subject. The attention is brought to you but no additional resources or help is given. Isn't the purpose of teacher is to bring the best out of their student? The School once had a great administrator, now it seems as though the principal in place is miserable lacks emotion. There is no unity at school, no recognition for students. The principal in place lacks empathy and her communication is horrible. I would avoid sending your child to the elementary school. Once a flourishing school with amazing teachers and leaders, now its simply a school collecting money .

Posted January 29, 2014

The academics and teachers are excellent. My daughter in in K and her teacher is very positive and always has time to speak to parents. However the administration is of very poor quality. Upon meeting with the current principal/administrator about my daughter possibly being bullied I was told (in short) the other child is intelligent and wonderful and everyone loves her and your child is mean spirited. I was told the other child could not be a bully because no one has ever seen it. However, on 3 separate occasions I witnessed this child acting inappropriate to other children while the staff were too busy talking and carrying on to notice. The principal was clearly biased against certain students and she made that very clear in the meeting. None of my fears or concerns were acknowledged at all. The school and academic is great but I do not recommend this school strictly because of administration.

Posted March 2, 2011

Oakwood Academy is a great elementary school if you are looking for a small school with a family feel. There are lots of extra activities for the children to do and the teachers are very caring.

Posted March 2, 2011

Oakwood Academy is a great school if you are looking for a small school with a family feel. The teachers are great and there are lots of extra activities for the children to become involved in.

Posted December 8, 2009

I have two boys enrolled in this school and they have been there for five years. I must say that comparing to a public school, Oakwood Academy has great academics but also a loving environment. As a parent, i truly appreciate the family atmosphere where everyone knows everyone. Also, i would like to commend the staff for providing the extra security for students. There's nothing I would change about this program. I love it and my kids do too!

Posted December 8, 2009

What a great value! In these tough times, I've debated whether or not to take my child out of Oakwood Academy to save money. After researching public schools and after school programs, this is the best way to go! My child loves going to school, the teachers are personable, they are open from 6 to 6 and they even have extra curricular lessons. What a packed day! All for about 150 a week, give or take. I wish I had more friends to tell....

Posted November 24, 2009

I have worked for Oakwood schools for 4 years now and can tell you this is a safe place for your child to learn and grow! I noticed some of the comments about television and would like to say that our facilities are open from 6-6 & before your child's teacher comes or after they leave to accommodate our 12:1 ratio that we are proud to offer we place the children into groups for a movie. It is never more than an hour. Occasionally it is educational, but the children are in an educational environment all day. We are proud to offer both education and fun! Stop by in the middle of the day & you will find them intently working! I went to the Oakwood schools since I was 2 years old and am now a nursing student at a private university. Invest in your children. Choose private schooling!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 15, 2009

This school is great for academics, but leaves much to be desired for building self esteem. The children all pick on each other and the teachers never seem to catch any of it. I haven't really seen any enforcinging of the 'do unto others...' rule. Also, They watch a lot of television. In the afternoon, it is TV time. That is bothersome. Couldn't they find a hundred other things to do with the kids instead of plop them in front of the TV?? I want to get my kids out soon.

Posted July 28, 2009

Oakwood academies identifies itself as offering individualized and accelerated instruction to each student. This is not the case depending on the teacher. Two of my three student were stopped from doing beyond grade level work. My Kindergartner tested at end first grade and second grade in reading and math respectively prior to entering Oakwood. The teacher decided to hold all the kids at the same reader level, and not start reading in kindergarten until all the kids learned how to spell the basic phonics words. Then limited the students to 3 pages 4 days a week in basic phonics readers. She told my son he was not allowed to read ahead, not allowed to continue with the level 2 books he was reading independently, and allowed only kindergarten math. He tested the same exiting the program as entering. Local Montessoris are better at differentiation and acceleration if you can afford them.

Posted March 18, 2009

I just started my child at Oakwood Preschool in the last few weeks, which is right down the street from Oakwood Academy. So far I am very impressed. On the first visit to both Oakwood Academy and Oakwood Academy Preschool I was impressed by the work the students were doing and how well behaved they were. So far so good. I will post another review after a few months.

Posted October 21, 2008

Excellet School! My grandson would never get this type of education in the public sector. Thank you Oakwood

Posted October 20, 2008

I have worked for the Oakwood Schools for almost 10 years, at many capacities. I am very fortunate to work for such a great group of private schools. We offer so much to our students that most public schools cannot; several extra-curricular activites, before and after school care, a loving team of teachers and staff, a well developed, accelerated curriculum, strong discipline policy and nominal tuition. I dare you to compare Oakwood Schools to other local private schools!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 15, 2008

My daughter attended Oakwood Preschool and Oakwood Academy. She graduated last year. Having had the opportunity to experience the 'real' world outside of Oakwood, I cannot say enough how wonderful this school is. It is truly a gem. The education is accelerated, the hours are great for working parents and the tuition is minimal for all you recieve. Please....open a middle school...:)

Posted September 5, 2008

My son has attended Oakwood Academy since he was in kindergarten. He is now in the 4th grade and his national test scores are outstanding. Oakwood is an excellerated school and their hours are extremely accomodating for the working parent (6am - 6pm). My son enjoys taking cooking as an extracurricular activity. It's a small school, but I love it, and I don't know what I will do when he graduates.

Posted November 1, 2007

My son has been attending Oakwood Academy since he was three years old. At only five years of age, he is an avid reader (has been for the past year) with excellent writing skills. Great, great great school! Excellent academics, extracurricular activities, communication, safety, discipline and highly qualified quality teachers. Our family highly recommends Oakwood Academy. They are strict but very worth it!

Posted October 10, 2007

I think this school has good academics. However, the teachers leave something to be desired. Some are inexperienced and just out of college. They take the word accelerated too excessive instead of letting a kid be a kid. I heard one of the teachers say 'if you don't quiet down I cannot serve your lunch. How dare they. Lunch is a social time not quiet time. Then they have about 1 to 2 hrs of naptime!

Posted July 14, 2007

My son (age 6) is currently enrolled in Oakwood Academy's summer program. I just wish this school wouldn't have the children watch tv every single day. Every day like clockwork he watches tv in the morning with all the other children. Then later on in the same day, the children will watch tv in the afternoon. I am not talking about educational tv either. A typical cartoon movie that they will watch is Tom and Jerry. Notice I said 'movie', not a 30 minute tv show. I would much rather have him in a room playing and interacting with other children then sitting in front of a television. Needless to say we will not be putting him in their summer program again next year. Next summer we will check into the YMCA instead. (He goes to public school during the school year.)

Posted March 25, 2007

Amazing school! Great academic programs and activities! I wish it went to 12th grade.

Posted October 18, 2006

My son has been in the Oakwood schools since he was three and we're very delighted with his academic progress, he is now five and is reading and writing and has also been taking piano ever since.. we really love this school and would highly recommend it. The only suggestion we would like to make is to improve the infrastructure of the building, it is outdated and too small, the classrooms are too cramped together; the children don't have too much individual or small group space to work inside the classroom, it would be nice for them to have bigger classrooms where they could have a 'media center' a 'reading center', etc. that would allow more space and creativity.

Posted March 22, 2006

great great school. teachers are friendly and inviting. The program is advanced.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NIPSA

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3840 Long Beach Boulevard