Bad
Good

Small school (2 classes per grade, 350 students). Great principal (Mrs. McKeehan) who is in her third year, having previously run much larger elementary schools, and truly knows every student by name. Skilled, caring teachers and staff. Fun, hard working, respectful student body. Growing but small PTA where each parent can have an impact. Shunned by the surrounding neighborhood due to test scores (which simply reflect socio-economic backgrounds) and bad experiences with a long gone previous principal. Also more ethnically diverse and lower income than the surrounding neighborhoods. Many working class parents who are too busy working to hang around and chit-chat before and after school. Great place for kids to get a good education and interact with a student body that reflects the diversity of the society we live in. Proponents of school choice should take a long look at the schism between this perfectly good school and it's neighborhood (which throws away tremendous property value by shunning it) and ask themselves if choice is just enabling segregation.

Mann is a great small school. My older daughter was struggling and when I decided to move to Mann, I noticed a huge difference. Mann has a great principal, Awesome teachers, and the best most caring staff. Parent involvement is getting better and better!

Everyone's experience is different but from mine, bringing my child here was a mistake. The last reviewer who must be a expert on Mann Elementrys principle and other people's opions I do not agree with. As a pro active patent I'm very involved in everything that goes on with this school and I have other children in my childs class come up to me and tell that the bullying problems never get resolved and that the teachers don't care if they don't understand what's being taught. I have other parents come up to me and say the exact same thing s, have teachers that actually want to teach and make a difference. Not teachers who are just there for a paycheck.

As a former elementary school teacher now staying home with my kids, I can tell you Mann is not a terrible school as the last reviewer posted. Mann is a good school that is getting better, the principal is highly experienced and contrary to the previous post, bullying, poor behavior, and character development are her top priority. However, every school in our state is undergoing a HUGE amount of transition and upheaval due to Common Core. This year in particular has been very stressful for all teaching staff. Mann is growing its PTA and hopefully will see more parent involvement. It is being improved on the inside as well as the outside. The best way to improve this neighborhood school is to support it and participate!

I agree with the last reviewer. Mann is a cozy school with great spirit and heart. It is truly a neighborhood school. My boys attend Mann, and are happy and well adjusted. They excel in their studies. I have spent time in their classrooms, and see the caring nature and quality of the teachers. The staff are people who know every kids name and genuinely care about them. My son's 4th grade class did a musical play this year - the production value was fantastic. I was excited to find that Mann has a Chess Club and Boy Scouts after school. Some of my neighbors refuse to send their kids to Mann because the API scores are slightly lower than the 'best' schools in Long Beach - but there is also an unspoken 'fear of diversity' that is just sad. For the next few years, I will enjoy walking my boys to our wonderful school in our historic neighborhood.

Horace Mann Elementary is a small school in a cozy neighborhood with great spirit. The staff is friendly and truly care. It is a very diverse bunch. My children attend there and I have volunteered there for a few years now. This is truly a place where "everybody knows everybody's names" and I wouldn't want my children to be anywhere else. The principal is knowledgable and involved, the secretary - one of the sweetest women I know. The recreation team is made of women who truly cares about the children and try to make their experience a memorable one. If you are the sort of parent who is mostly concerned about test scores and stats: my child is an honor student and the work there is challenging enough for him. But what I love most is that my children are known and cared for.

My grandson sean has grown so much while attending this school.. we are so proud of him.. with the help of councelors, speech teacher his classroom teacher, whom are have been great... we are so happy with his progress.. thank you Pam Wolslau...

My son had some speech delay and also needed to be in a school with a firm struture and this is just the school. I love how they were focused on getting him the additonal help with a speech therapist and I love how they have a no tolerance for goofing off. The teachers are ownderful and have been teachers there for years. My son is reading at a higher level and doing math. He is much more advanced than others in his same grade I see from other schools. I love that it is a smaller school and there is much more focus on each student. I love how the teachers also keep you updated on a regular basis with your childs learning and behavior capabilities.

Our family has some special needs and we transferred to this area last year. The principal and the teachers have all been very focused on helping our needs and the education, involvement and overall support has been outstanding. Thank you for going above and beyond with our kids. There seems to be a lot of parental support and activity here as well which really helps the school and the kids. Because it is smaller in size, the kids seem to be pretty bonded with each other and the teachers. I see most of the teachers going above and beyond with their students.

Last modified Mann Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.