Bad
Good

Last year my Daughter was harassed by (colored students) they locked her up in the restroom and threatened her. I brought this matter to the attention of the Principal and the Teacher and the Counselor. They say that they have taken care of the problem but the fact of the matter IS is that my Daughter still sees these kids that did that to her and she is frightened. This school year, we get a letter in the mail from the School indicating that first day of school is 9/4 9am. And everyday for that matter, they will start at 9am. huh? what? why? And on top of that, they indicated that the new school color that was added to the uniform chart is red blouse. why? so that these ghetto people can decide if they want their kids to wear Blue (cus) or Red (Blood) gang related colors? I don't like these new ideas at all. I am going to try to transfer my daughter out of that school. another problem is Is that I have already purchased her school uniform (blue and white) this school frustrates me!!

There is a land field about a block away from this school. The smell is horrible during the summer. There is also a refinery about 2 blocks away from this elementary school. Not a healthy environment for kids.

I have a son in special education kindergarten class.I could not ask or pay for a better academic program for him.He has far surpassed his annual goals and over excels in other areas.The care and attention he receives from the teachers and staff is exceptional.He is cared for and paid attention to in the same manor at home.I have large bins filled with the art work of each of my four children who attend Mckinley.When any activity is unavailable at our school, we go out and look for it.We don't wait for it to find us.A teacher's job is to educate our children for six hours of the day.It is a parent's job to teach them everything else they need to know.Parent and teacher involvement coincide in having a successful student.The principal is only enforcing rules that were always there.He's just doing his job.Thank you, Mrs. Rachel Veloz

I have a second grader at McKinley, and I am always amazed at the fact that she almost never gets the chance to do any art or 'fun' learning activities. I have yet to see her go on any field trip this year and last year she didn't have one. I wish the school would spend more time with the individual learning of their students rather than giving so many workshops to the parents. I believe the Principal needs to be more positive and back off on so many rules. We are constantly being told what we can not do, what about the things we can do? Children are still just that, children. They grow up so fast. What happened to the days of enjoying school? Doing art projects and celebrating the various events of the year. Children need to enjoy what they are learning to make it be effective.

Last modified McKinley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.