Long Beach, CA

Newcomb Academy 4

Posted May 14, 2015
Overall the school and staff are terrific, especially K-6th grade. Both my children "survived" 6th grade which was challenging, but honestly the best year as far as academics go at Newcomb. One of my children had the Gusteveson/Byrne/Baughman program and the other had the Byrne/Fiore accelerated program in 6th grade. I feel that Ms. Byrne is one of the hardest teachers, but truly prepares the kids. Mrs. Al-Mulla is also a top teacher, along with Mr. Wells, Mrs. Curfman and Mrs. Huynh. Newcomb prides itself on the MIND program and science lab which is great for K-5, but when the students move on to the math & science classes in 7th and 8th grade there seems to be a lackadaisical feel to them. The science teachers are good, but they could do more. My main disappointment comes from the math teachers. If your child is fortunate enough to get Mr. Wells then they will soar in high school. He takes them from the level they're at and brings them up through Algebra and into Geometry. He should be teaching math, not the pe teacher or the main 8th grade math/Spanish teacher who is absent a lot. In fact, many of the students that have taken Spanish re-take it in 9th grade.

Posted May 14, 2015
I have a third and Fifth grader at Newcomb Academy. I have been very happy with this school. I think my kids are getting a great education and love their teachers. Suzanne in the office is always so sweet and helpful when I come in with a question or to pick up my girls. The principal and school counselor seem to really know the students and make themselves available. Also, I noticed the playground aides have recently changed. I think we needed some new faces around campus. My youngest has said that lunch recess is even better now. She feels she can approach these new ladies and feels safe & comfortable around them because they are ladies she has seen around throughout her school years. I'm glad Newcomb keeps things fresh and finds ways to improve the environment.

Posted March 09, 2015
My two kids have been attending Newcomb Academy since Kindergarten--one is now in 3rd Grade (GATE classroom) & my other child is in 1st Grade. I couldn't be a happier parent. Both of my kids are doing great in this school and have received numerous academic achievement awards. The teachers, office staff and playground staff are very courteous, approachable & wonderful with the students. Amongst the great curriculum, the school has great computer labs, science labs, music classes and lots of very well organized special events for the students & parents. What I appreciate the most from Newcomb is the huge amount of parent participation; and how all the students get treated with equal opportunity by the teachers and school staff.

Newcomb Academy 1

Posted January 25, 2015
I really do not understand how the school district allows Newcomb administration to operate and create such a negative environment for students/parents. The Office Manager is beyond rude and appears to be really unhappy at her job. Almost all the recreation aides have their own children attending Newcomb and their kids get to do whatever they want on the playground. Their children are mean and form cliques and feel they cannot be reprimanded. They get special treatment and are allowed to bend/break the rules whenever they so wish. One of the recreation aides is also the Cheer Coach and guess whose kids get first priority on the cheer squad - of course the other Recreation Aides kids! The Administration say they just inherited this situation and it is difficult to change. I don't think Recreation Aides should be allowed to work at the same school their children attend. Especially when you do not have a principal who will intervene and make sure all children are treated equally and given the same opportunities.

Posted January 22, 2015
Newcomb is a great school! The staff members are always welcoming and friendly and the teachers are really helpful

Posted June 10, 2014
I am a parent and have my 3 daughter, niece and nephew at this school and I am so blessed to have them attend Newcomb academy. The teachers, staff, programs and activities are amazing. My children have learned so much and cannot imagine leaving. One of my daughter's graduated 8th and another 5th. I hope my son can get accepted for 1st grade this coming school year since I know first hand the academic advancement my daughter's receive.

Posted May 17, 2014
Good school, good teachers overall and lots of programs not in other long beach schools due to the strong support of the newcomb foundation.

Posted October 08, 2013
My son transferred to this school in 6th grade and he is now in 7th grade. We were very nervous about the transfer. However, he has done very well with the transistion. He has made new friends and has done well in his classes. He also likes all of the elective options that are available, from band, chorus, Avid, photography, etc. We are glad that we made the move to Newcomb.

Posted September 03, 2013
Newcomb is a great school. My oldest was accepted to Poly Pace and hit the ground running. The academics have been outstanding, with the highest standardized math scores in the District. Having Math+Music in elementary school has helped. The school is truly a community of involved parents who share a value of education and step forward to contribute. It may appear cliquish and pushy to those who aren't familiar, but newcomers are always welcomed. The PTSA and Foundation are strong, an provide opportunities to get involved and improve the children's educational experience. The principal is very approachable and knowledgeable. Our family has made lifelong friendships with other Newcomb families. Most of the teachers have been excellent. A few in particular are very passionate, competent and engaged with their teaching. Most are challenging, but nurturing. Not all meet this high standard, but from the experience of my kids, most do. Our family chose Newcomb as a school of choice and are quite happy with our decision. We are grateful for the great education and wonderful experiences our kids have had.

Newcomb Academy 2

Posted January 13, 2013
This school has been mixed, the new principle seems on top of things but boy does she have her work cut out for her. There is a huge divide and definitely NOT equal opportunity if your child is not in the accelerated or GATE(3rd and up)/PALS - (2nd Grade). The opportunities given to the gate kids' include participation in plays, extended science learning, introduction to more advanced concepts, in music they have opportunity to play instruments not available to the other students until later grades... it goes on. It's not pleasant to stand by and think how you are going to supplement your childs' education at home so they don't fall behind with the mediocrity they are receiving with a burned out mediocre non-gate identified class.

Newcomb Academy
7020 E. Brittain Street, Long Beach, CA  90808
Last modified Newcomb Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newcomb Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 73 reviews. Top