Long Beach, CA

Posted June 10, 2014
I am a parent and have my 3 daughter, niece and nephew at this school and I am so blessed to have them attend Newcomb academy. The teachers, staff, programs and activities are amazing. My children have learned so much and cannot imagine leaving. One of my daughter's graduated 8th and another 5th. I hope my son can get accepted for 1st grade this coming school year since I know first hand the academic advancement my daughter's receive.

Posted May 17, 2014
Good school, good teachers overall and lots of programs not in other long beach schools due to the strong support of the newcomb foundation.

Posted October 08, 2013
My son transferred to this school in 6th grade and he is now in 7th grade. We were very nervous about the transfer. However, he has done very well with the transistion. He has made new friends and has done well in his classes. He also likes all of the elective options that are available, from band, chorus, Avid, photography, etc. We are glad that we made the move to Newcomb.

Posted September 03, 2013
Newcomb is a great school. My oldest was accepted to Poly Pace and hit the ground running. The academics have been outstanding, with the highest standardized math scores in the District. Having Math+Music in elementary school has helped. The school is truly a community of involved parents who share a value of education and step forward to contribute. It may appear cliquish and pushy to those who aren't familiar, but newcomers are always welcomed. The PTSA and Foundation are strong, an provide opportunities to get involved and improve the children's educational experience. The principal is very approachable and knowledgeable. Our family has made lifelong friendships with other Newcomb families. Most of the teachers have been excellent. A few in particular are very passionate, competent and engaged with their teaching. Most are challenging, but nurturing. Not all meet this high standard, but from the experience of my kids, most do. Our family chose Newcomb as a school of choice and are quite happy with our decision. We are grateful for the great education and wonderful experiences our kids have had.

Newcomb Academy 2

Posted January 13, 2013
This school has been mixed, the new principle seems on top of things but boy does she have her work cut out for her. There is a huge divide and definitely NOT equal opportunity if your child is not in the accelerated or GATE(3rd and up)/PALS - (2nd Grade). The opportunities given to the gate kids' include participation in plays, extended science learning, introduction to more advanced concepts, in music they have opportunity to play instruments not available to the other students until later grades... it goes on. It's not pleasant to stand by and think how you are going to supplement your childs' education at home so they don't fall behind with the mediocrity they are receiving with a burned out mediocre non-gate identified class.

Posted January 12, 2013
want to go to this school next year I am 6th grade and my mom says it is a good school I wish I could because it has a good rating

Posted November 14, 2012
I wish I had never sent my children to Newcomb. There are a few very good teachers, but more of the teachers are horrible. They humiliate the students and don't inspire the love of learning. The whole atmosphere at the school is of conformity and competition. We switched our kids into the Los Alamitos schools and our kids couldn't be happier. I wish I would have made the switch sooner!

Posted June 10, 2012
Newcomb stinks! I completely regret sending my daughter there from K-2 grades. The teachers are rude and insensitive, The administration is argumentative and useless. We have been through many unpleasant situations! Please do not send your kids there. The whole staff should be fired and they should begin again. My daughter is going elsewhere in the fall!

Posted January 16, 2012
Newcomb Academy is an outstanding school. My child has received an excellent education. Has every teacher been great -- no. However, the overwheming majority have been excellent. I considered transferring my daughter to Los Al for middle school and am so glad I didn't make that choice. After having talked to parents that did, I have heard mixed reviews. No school is perfect but Newcomb is as close as I have found.

Posted December 29, 2011
Newcomb was a soul crushing experience for my sons, particularly for one who had a mild learning disability in written language (only). Since the staff there is used to children who are "easy" to teach (GATE is a huge population) they had no idea how to help him and ended up setting him up for both academic and social failures. He was stuck at a back table for reading instruction being poked by an aide (even though he was advanced on the STAR every year!) and allowed to be bullied and ridiculed by his peers daily because of his teachers ignorance. We transferred to Los Alamitos (Oak) where he thrived under their excellent and current instructional techniques. They use encouragement and actually teach the kids instead of sending them home with reports for the parents to write or teach. In Los Al, he earned a perfect score on the Social Studies STAR in 8th, and advanced in LA & Science because of their skills. Go the extra mile (literally) to Los Al. It is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It was a life changing experience for us since he is now in high school, LOVES school, is very active and has many wonderful friends. Save your child and family years of anguish!

Newcomb Academy
7020 E. Brittain Street, Long Beach, CA  90808
Last modified Newcomb Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newcomb Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 91 reviews. Top