No rating

St. Cornelius Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 293 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Long Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $425,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted March 15, 2014

I went on several tours to choose the best catholic school for my daughter. After, narrowing it down to my top 5 I went ahead and chose St. Cornelius. The principal and teachers were very welcoming and very open to any questions I had about the school. My daughter was accepted into the TK program. I am looking forward to this upcoming year. I am confident I chose the right school for her. This school sends their students to not only Honor programs in local High Schools but to well known college prep High Schools. I can't wait for her to start the TK program this fall :)

Posted June 9, 2013

I've been at this school for sometime now and I fall in love everyday !! My son always has something nice to say about his teacher so or his friends. All I can say is I love,love this school.

Posted April 19, 2011

My three children have attended this school over the last six years and the experience has been fantastic. All three of the children are testing well above there grade level due in large part to the hands on instruction given by the highly dedicated teachers and administration. The school truly operates like a family. The teachers are very interactive and communicate proactively with parents. The principal is fantastic. Like most principals, she has to deliver difficult messages from time to time and always exercises strong judgement and balances the needs of the community and the students. I would give the highest recomendation to this school, teachers, administration and parish staff.

Posted February 4, 2011

My son and my daughter attend St. Cornelius Elementary. I am amazed at how much information they are learning. All the teachers are truly dedicated to the children's academic future. The principal is a great lady, a fine leader and well respected among teachers and parents alike. If you want your kids to do well in life, send them to a public school; if you want your kids to be good students, send them to a private school. However, if you want your children to be outstanding citizens with exceptional knowledge and skills, send them to ST. CORNELIUS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL !!

Posted January 9, 2011

My son attended public school for two years, and I am so glad we decided to change to St. Cornelius. Bad behavior has always been adressed by the teachers. My son felt very welcomed by the students and staff. My second child started last year and he is doing wonderful. Such a loving enviornment. We are happy on every level!

Posted March 27, 2010

The teachers at this school are fantastic and the curriculum is challenging for those who want to work hard and learn. The social environment is terrible though, especially for a newcomer. There is bullying and a lot of bad behavior that is being ignored. I am looking elsewhere.

Posted March 24, 2010

Save your money! When I first put my child in this school, I could not have been happier, but honestly this year has been awful. The teacher and principal have not done anything to help the situation. I cannot wait for this year to be over. Thankfully, we have already selected another school and my child will not be attending.

Posted August 28, 2009

We are just back to school and I am thankful to have found and chosen St. Cornelius for my children several years ago. My two very shy, reserved children have developed into really terrific pre-teens and have many friends in their respective grades. It is more than just books at St. Cornelius. It's about the child's development and growth into being the best that they can be, with a strong foundation in Faith based education. If I had a magic wand I would add a band and drama club. But, given time, I am sure the improvement-driven principal will find a way.

Posted July 13, 2009

All my children have or are attending St. C. I believe they've received an excellent education especially with the basics. About 7 years ago the math program wasn't as strong as it needed to be. There was a shift in math teachers and the currriculum was brought up one full year. Additionally, because of the activities the kids have in class and church they become very good public speakers. Something I am not. Yes I wish there was a large playground, but it is a small price to pay for children who are well prepared for high school and have peer interaction and problem solving skills. All of a child's education is not simply accademics and I think St. Cornelius educates the child in a more real-world sense which includes their spiritual and moral development. When my older kids have continued on to public high school, and college they have excelled.

Posted February 19, 2009

St. Cornelius is a wonderful school. The values based education is important for our children in today society. The faculty and administration is excellent.

Posted January 28, 2009

My child is new to the school this year. We just attended the open house and are so thrilled with our decision to move to St. Cornelius. The teachers are spectacular and the curriculum is engaging for the students. Regarding the bullying described in some reviews, in my experience the situations were dealt with swiftly by the staff. I do feel the school community could stand to be a bit more welcoming to newcomers, however. All in all, we feel very fortunate to have found this school for our child - good academics and values being taught here.

Posted December 8, 2008

I attended this school myself, and am unfortunately very disappointed in its lack of progression over the past couple years. The lack of supervision and discipline is very apparent, as well as the horrible bullying that occurs frequently. I have also come to notice, that the principal is far too busy to address these pressing issues. I would suggest a more parent-involved system, which would bridge many more thoughts and ideas. Favoritism has always been an issue at this school, even when I attended as a child. All in all, I am am not impressed with this once fantastic school.

Posted December 6, 2008

In our fifth year at this school and it just keeps getting better and better. Admin and faculty is always seeking to improve on what is already terrific. Kudos to St. Cornelius in Long Beach. Great school and community.

Posted June 13, 2008

I have been a Long Time parent of St Cornelius and I have been VERY pleased with my children's academic and personal growth. The teachers are dedicated and eager to teach and most importantly, teach for the LOVE of teaching. This school, in conjunction with our family values, has assisted in producing well-mannered, educated, and self-assured children. I feel honored to have my children attend a school of this caliber. The adminstrative staff is committed to excellence while setting the same expectations for the children. The school enviroment is loving and Faith-Filled. St Cornelius, by far, is and excellent school!

Posted June 10, 2008

As a parent at this school, I have to say that it has been extremely sad and disappointing that this school has not changed for the better. The classes are crowded, (approx 38/40 children per class)the playground supervision is lax, which has lead to numerous incidents of bullying...If a complaint is made to the teacher, she seems to exhausted to give it much attention. The principal seems to be most concerned with cramming the already bursting classrooms with children who are sometimes discipline problems. It is with a heavy heart that I write this as I genuinely loved this school 3 years ago.

Posted May 16, 2008

I was invited to attend my Grandchildren's school today as a guest. The children were polite and very well-mannered. All of the classes performed a song which was enjoyed by all. We then were able to visit each child in their very impressive classrooms. Their teachers were warm and inviting and the facilities were immaculate. It was a wonderful way to spend the day with my Grandchildren.

Posted April 21, 2008

Even through the most difficult financial times, my decision to keep my children at St. Cornelius has been the best decision of my family's lives. My children receive many compliments on how well behaved they are. They have learned how to respect others, as well as themselves. My son is graduating from St. Cornelius this June and is well prepared to start highschool. He has been accepted into the Honors programs at Wilson, Lakewood and Bosco. I am confident that St. Cornelius and being an involved parent, has given him the wings to fly and the confidence to achieve honors in highschool and college. My daughter is in the third grade and is at the top of her class. She loves school, her teacher and the entire environment. I highly recommend this school for you child. They will never slip thru the cracks!

Posted April 14, 2008

We are very happy with the whole experiance our children are having at St Cornelius. The academics have been great and the caring, loving enviroment is tops! Listening to other parents who have their children in public school and some of the issues they encounter, we are more than happy to write our tuition checks. Getting those great grades on their report cards is wonderful, but the fact that St. Cornelius helps reinforce what we their parents are trying to teach them that caring and respecting those around you is so important. A well rounded child is important to us and so we feel really blessed that our children have all the awesome opportunities to develop into prepared good hearted teens by the time they are ready for high school.

Posted April 8, 2008

Good, solid foundation academics. Tremendous faculty and staff. Great K-8 facility that is welcoming to newcomers and oldtimers alike. Great environment for children to develop and learn. We have been very happy with our decision to have our children attend St. Cornelius school.

Posted April 7, 2008

I have been a volunteer at this school for some time. I know of no other Catholic K-8 school in California that is so highly regarded that it actually has a waiting list for admissions, even after recently expanding for an additional kindergarten classroom. Back when my 3 children attended this school it was a very good school, but there was no waiting list. Now it is truly a 'Great School!'

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mrs. Nancy Hayes
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Audiovisual aids

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3330 North Bellflower Boulevard