Los Angeles, CA

Posted February 17, 2015
Are you a parent with high expectations and want the best education for your child? Do you plan to be very involved in school life? Do you want your child to go to LACES and succeed? Then you will be very disappointed at this school! As a parent, at every turn, you'll meet obstacles. Whether you are trying to get answers to basic questions, wanting to volunteer and offer your support, needing to use the parent center, visiting your child's classroom for observation, looking for an audience with the principal, receiving basic communication of school events or getting involved in school councils – you will be frustrated! Your child will likely be unprepared for the demanding and high quality education at LACES so prepare to tutor them. If you are up for a challenge, willing to put in the work as a parent to stand up for parent rights, improve the school, resourceful and are in it for the long haul, then this is the school for you! This year, many parents have raised their concerns to the district and are fighting to gain their support to change the administration and fix the dysfunction. Such a shame as the school has so much potential and the students deserve better!
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 14, 2015
Mid City is the only elementary (grades 1-5) feeder school to LACES. Unfortunately, our experience at the school has been less than stellar and we are so disappointed. At first glance, the small school seems to have a lot going to for it with a very small population (250 students) and only 2 classes for each grade. But as we are entering our second semester we have noticed many flaws in the school as a result of poor leadership. As mentioned in the previous reviews, communication is still a HUGE problem and PTSA is still struggling to make inroads. The good teachers do not last while bad teachers do. The volunteer program has been at a stand still, no classroom parents are allowed, and the attitude from the administration staff from the moment you step into the office, is despicable. To put it bluntly, the school is dysfunctional. Until there is a change in the leadership and administrative staff, this school will continue to go downhill. The only benefit will be LACES and even then, you have to go through hell and back to get there. Would love to update this review after there have been some positive changes!
7 people found this helpful

Posted August 08, 2013
A sweet small community centered school, where the teachers and staff are dedicated to all!

Posted March 19, 2013
The federal science grant that was awarded the school a few years ago has given the teachers many hours of professional development and much needed technology for the classrooms. With all the science influence at the school, my daughter has decided that she wants to be a scientist and is very eager to go to college to prepare for her career. She did exceptional on last year's CSTs and I expect she will do the same this year. After a rocky start last year, the new PTSA has had several successful meetings and has a very enthusiastic group making plans for this year and next. They have sponsored a few park play dates and have plans to have a school beautification day, staff and teacher appreciation, and classroom enrichments by the end of the school-year. Most importantly for me is that my daughter is doing wonderfully, socially. She has a ton of friends that greet her with hugs every morning. This grounded social group has let her be free to concentrate on her learning. Eventhough this is one of the first magnet schools in the district, it is an up and coming school that is about to stand on it's own merit without the connection it has to LACES- although that is a great perk!

Posted March 19, 2013
My children attend this school. We moved from another LAUSD school to this magnet program. I do not regret the move. The staff is caring, the principal is all for student growth and personal development. There is diversity at the school and a range of activities to participate in. I would reccomend this school (and I have) to other parents considering sending their child to "Mid-City>"

Posted March 06, 2013
My wife and I decided to move our son to MidCity when we learned of the relationship with LACES. We were very happy with our old school and didn't know how MCM would hold up by comparison. I am happy to say we have been happy with much of it. MCM has a hard working and caring staff. Socially it has been a great year for our son, making new friends and he seems to be getting good scores and talks a lot about what he is learning. He is very engaged in the science. Both my wife and I jumped in to help the parent group and it is starting to come together and I only anticpate it growing with each passing year (maybe even each month!) There are a lot of very nice families who want to help. It is lovely school and we are happy we made the move. We also intend to help after our son graduates.

Posted March 05, 2013
Mid City has some of the most giving, hardworking staff members I've ever encountered. My son started at the school in the 4th grade and is currently a 5th grader. He is doing well academically, though I think he could be challenged more. I especially felt this way in 4th grade but after he scored a perfect score on the math CST, maybe he was challenged enough. The science integration is great and is the strongest aspect of the school. The greatest opportunities for growth at Mid City are organized parent participation and communication. Most of my dissatisfaction from the school stems from the lack of organized parent participation. There are no room parents and it's taken 2 years just to get a PTA started. The school's website needs an active web master - an easy problem to solve if the parents could be more involved. But honestly, the problems at a school are all minor when you know that your child is loved and cared for, and this staff and administration LOVES these children.

Posted March 04, 2013
I moved my daughter to Mid City Prescott for 5th grade so that she could feed into LACES for middle and high school. Socially this has been a wonderful year for her. She has a great peer group to move with to LACES. There are areas academically where she could be more challenged. The Mid City parent association is having trouble getting off the ground, but I believe that it will get all its kinks worked out over the next year. Overall, we've been extremely happy at MCPSES.

Posted February 27, 2013
My son started MCPSES in fall. We left our much beloved school in order to make the move to LACES. I was nervous, who wouldn't be having been at the other school for five years. But I must say it has been a lovely experience in many ways. I do think my son would have been challenged more at the old school but I certainly don't think he has gone backwards. Socially, it has been a very good year. New kids, new experiences and my son is able to keep his rudder in his boat. The parent group is finding its way, it is early but there is a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of parents who want to help. I am happy with our decision and more importantly so is my son.

Posted October 29, 2012
My son is now an eighth grader attending this school. I truly believe it takes both the administrative staff but parents, we also play an important roll on how we conduct ourselves and our participation with our own children. I have found the entire administrative staff to be very polite and helpful from my sons first day of enrollment. I have an exceptionally gifted child and have found much of the assignments challenging for him. At his other school he did not need help with homework. Please don't rate the entire school on the bases of one seemingly incompetent teacher yes LACES is a great school but we are rating the school in its entirety not on the bases of a couple of bad apples.

Mid-City's Prescott School Of Enriched Sciences
3150 West Adams Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90018
Last modified Mid-City's Prescott School Of Enriched Sciences is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mid-City's Prescott School Of Enriched Sciences Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top