Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (3 responses)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted June 03, 2016
Mrs. Barnett, Mr Kanach, Mrs Wateford..... ALL AMAZING and thoughtful teachers/principal... the school is lucky to have them

Develops grit: Agree

Posted June 03, 2016
they do everything they can to help 6th graders learn to keep track of their stuff, be on time for assignments etc..... but only in the way they feel is best... they don't make concessions for alternative learning and management styles

Posted May 17, 2016
We are just finishing up 6th grade, and we have had a really good year. I'll admit I had some misgivings in the beginning. All of the correspondence from the school sounded so threatening, the drop-off procedures alone were so intimidating I was wondering if we had made a mistake. Our elementary was so warm and friendly that it seemed like we were sending our daughter into military school or something. All of my fears were unfounded. When her schedule was messed up in the beginning the middle school principal, Ms. Barnett, really helped everyone through it and my daughter loves her. Next year she will be the principal of the whole school and I couldn't be happier about it. The young group of 6th grade teachers have been outstanding, shout out to Mr. K in science, who would have thought my daughter would like science? The dance program is a wonderful choice for a kid who has always hated PE, and they have it 4 days a week. We also love the band program. Mr. Cooper has visions of greatness and he is doing an awesome job expanding the program and getting all of us involved. The schoolwork can get demanding, but not beyond what is reasonable, and my daughter is learning to be more organized. Looking forward to 7th grade!

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 17, 2016
Ms. Esther, office staff and runs the A3 after-care program. Thanks for your kindness and caring!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 16, 2016
In speaking with my daughter, I can tell that her teachers emphasize values in addition to just learning about facts. This especially is the case in trying to teach the students to work well together by requiring regular projects where a group of students work together.

Posted May 16, 2016
Our daughter was going to Paul Revere, and was doing very well there. However, prior to starting Paul Revere, her first choice had been New West Charter ("NWC") after looking at a number of schools. Initially, we did not "win" the lottery, and our daughter did not get into New West so she wound up at Paul Revere where, as I said, she was doing well and was adjusting there very nicely. About a month into school, we were advised that a space had opened up for her at New West. At that point, she was not interested in changing schools, but, we, as her parents, believed that it was in her best interests to take advantage of the opportunity to attend a small school. (This was especially true after we took a tour of the school) Our daughter was devastated that she was leaving her friends at Paul Revere (a very good school), but as her parents, we felt that we knew what was best for her. She is now completing the 6th grade and both she and we (her parents) could not be happier with the school. Going to NWC is no different than going to the most expensive private school in New York City. It is not perfect. No school is. However, it is a fabulous place. Who would have thought that there would be a middle school in Los Angeles' public school system that would only have about 450 students with young and energetic teachers? When I compare my daughter's middle school experiences with my Junior High School experiences at an upper middle class school in the West San Fernando Valley, I think of NWC as heaven on earth. (And my Junior High School was highly respected) When we have a concern, or question, we send an email to the teacher involved and we hear back within a reasonable period of time. The school, and the teachers, are very responsive. Everyone knows our daughter. The classes are diverse and varied enough even though the school is small, and, in fact, our daughter is looking forward to starting Spanish in the 7th grade. We are great fans of NWC. We have close family members who are teachers in the public school system and when we tell them about NWC their only response is "how much is the tuition?" It takes a while to convince them that NWC is a public school, and not an expensive private school. We are very grateful that we found this school, and that it found us.

Grateful to: Student

Posted May 16, 2016
HELPED ME DEAL WITH NEW WEST!!!!!!! DO NOT GO TO NEW WEST!!!! ITS THE WORST HELP EVER

New West Charter School 1

Posted May 16, 2016
My son had a 504 Plan they did not do there part in it. They never responded to are emails {Sent Weekly with work attached}. They never sent what the said they would send. They lost most of his work and blamed it on him. Then they failed him because they lost half the work that he turned in and because he could not do the projects/Tests/Quizes Because they were never sent to him. DO NOT GO TO NEW WEST!!!!

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted April 14, 2016
This school handled sensitive issues with discretion, care and great concern. The teachers really care about their students.

Posted April 13, 2016
I am a senior at New West Charter. I couldn't have asked for a better school and overall community to have learned in. Fantastic teachers and curriculum.

1905 Armacost Ave, Los Angeles, CA  90025
Last modified New West Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.