Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I've seen many people who have had their doubts about New West but I have a couple of things to say as a student. First of all the sixth grade teachers are some of the best teachers I've had, in English and science especially I feel like I was definitely prepared. History and math were great too but I just like English and science more. I am in seventh grade right now and it is great with all the teachers being very nice and always willing to help if you ask them. HOWEVER, math has a huge flaw, some of the people admitted into the advanced classes, I feel shouldn't be in them. Some of the kids in algebra 1( the advanced math class) can barely do some of the simple math problems that we have and we will sometimes spend 10-20 minutes going over the same problem on our homework. Also, in Spanish Ms. Hernandez is great but nobody pays attention. I try my best to focus over the kids who are playing around and talking, and their only punishment is " your name is getting on the board". One great thing about new west is that it is very small so I know everyone in my grade. I don't feel uncomfortable at any time because I always know somebody in my class. At new west I have only seen 1-2 cases of bullying in my 2 years here and I feel like the staff really helps prevent it. The parking situation that everyone complains about isn't that bad. The shuttle that takes me to school is a way that I have met many people and made friends on. Also, the music program that I am in is amazing. Our music teacher Mr.Cooper is great and we have lots of fun playing all sorts of pieces. Finally, the x-block classes. Many parents I have seen seem to think they are a waste of time. However, they are not everyday, only on Fridays which in my opinion isn't that bad. It's always good to have some extra fun and most of the classes aren't as useless as they were last year. We have cooking, drawing, documentary watching, sports teams, etc. This may have been a lengthy review but I really hope you parents take a look at this through my student perspective. Thank you, and happy school days!

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I don't see many cases of bullying at school at all. If it does happen the people in question are dealt with and usually stop. Teachers are always open to talk to and it really makes for a god environment at school.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I honestly wouldn't know because I don't have any.

Effective school leaders: Agree

Student government is great and they have many cool bake sales, pizza, candy grams for Halloween and Valentine's Day, dances, and other very fun things. Dr. Barnett is great and she usually walks around at lunch and snack watching over the kids so you can usually find her if you have a problem. Also, the teachers teach us a lot about being a good leader using group projects and other things that are similar

Develops character: Strongly agree

In advisory we go over all these qualities and go over them until they stick. I feel like I have really developed from a super procrastinator to someone who does there work on time.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

All the teachers are willing to help you and provide interesting classes. History, which is usually not that interesting to me is very fun with Mr.Jones and I feel like many of the other teachers give me the same feeling of being welcome.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The homework is pretty much not there. We have one page in every class most of the time but some times none. It is sort of challenging depending on how well you study but it is not helpful.

I too was taken aback by the process of getting in and the inability to communicate with the school. It was really frustrating! However, we were called off the waiting list mid year and I decided to pull my son out of the school he was in and take our slot. The communication did not get any better once we got in because their system was not accepting my e-mail, so I was not getting the weekly newsletter that were meant to keep me informed. Additionally, the emails or messages I would send or leave would get unanswered, as the front desk could not really fix the issue, so, I got caught in a loop of continued frustration. The school itself is beautiful and I'm sure the school has a right to be proud of their accomplishments, but as a new parent, the arrogance and elitism is not welcoming or inspiring me to want to get too involved in the school so far. I honestly tried to get my son to join his sister in the SMMUSD but he was pretty clear he wanted to stay at NW. He is thriving and motivated compared to his previous school. Consequently, that in itself is enough of a positive testimonial from a kid who goes there, for me the parent, to try again this year with an open mind and open heart. Keep you posted! .

We are just finishing up 6th grade, and we have had a really good year. I'll admit I had some misgivings in the beginning. All of the correspondence from the school sounded so threatening, the drop-off procedures alone were so intimidating I was wondering if we had made a mistake. Our elementary was so warm and friendly that it seemed like we were sending our daughter into military school or something. All of my fears were unfounded. When her schedule was messed up in the beginning the middle school principal, Ms. Barnett, really helped everyone through it and my daughter loves her. Next year she will be the principal of the whole school and I couldn't be happier about it. The young group of 6th grade teachers have been outstanding, shout out to Mr. K in science, who would have thought my daughter would like science? The dance program is a wonderful choice for a kid who has always hated PE, and they have it 4 days a week. We also love the band program. Mr. Cooper has visions of greatness and he is doing an awesome job expanding the program and getting all of us involved. The schoolwork can get demanding, but not beyond what is reasonable, and my daughter is learning to be more organized. Looking forward to 7th grade!

Develops character: Strongly agree

In speaking with my daughter, I can tell that her teachers emphasize values in addition to just learning about facts. This especially is the case in trying to teach the students to work well together by requiring regular projects where a group of students work together.

Last modified New West Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.