Dahlia Heights Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 379 students

Posted April 25, 2014

My son has attended k-6 at Dahlia. I've been pleased to have him with so many amazing teachers. He loves the school.

Posted October 26, 2013

I went to this elementary school from 2002-2005 when I first moved from Mexico to the United States and couldn't have asked for a better transition. I really do wish I could have attended all through my elementary years but unfortunately only experienced 4-6th grades. Every teacher I had was absolutely amazing and helped guide me and prepare me for later success. There was a lot of fine arts which I think still persist; it was a great way to make kids excited about each day. I believe 2 of the 3 teachers I had are still in the school. We ended up moving away and my brother finished school elsewhere, it was a day and night difference: this school cares about who students will eventually grow up to be.

Posted October 24, 2013

Parent involvement and influence seem to have reached an all time high. The parents involved have created funding for arts programs, field trips and general teacher/student assistance. Its good to be a part of such a pro-active parent school.

Posted September 23, 2013

We are first year parents with our daughter in Kindergarten. The PTA and Principal are extremely pro-active and the classroom size/student body is manageable. We are VERY impressed thus far!

Posted August 10, 2013

With the last of three children having graduated from Dahlia in June, it is bittersweet to be leaving our Dahlia home behind. We will truly miss the school, faculty and staff, and consider many of them good friends. My kids obtained a great education, and are prepared for the next phase that lies ahead. Dahlia families are very committed to this school and work very hard to provide the kids with opportunities in, and beyond the classroom. Congrats to the families that are entering this year, you will be surprised and amazed with this special and beloved place.

Posted June 4, 2013

I was a student in Dahila Heights between the timeline of late 2007 to mid 2009, I've been in this school for almost two years and I gotta say it was by far the BEST Elementary School I've been to! It is very organized, there were fun programs afterschool, and the bullying rate in my opinion was low. When I graduated in this school I was sad that I had to leave my friends and the friendly staff. The Principal was nice too. I would say this was one of my best schools i've ever been to.

Posted August 21, 2012

i dont have any comment right now because class just started. my daughter enjoying her class

Posted February 22, 2012

Our family moved from a small Beverly Hills apartment to a beautiful Eagle Rock house two years ago. We were naturally concerned with moving our two boys from BHUSD to LAUSD, but this school has proven to be a great success. It may not have all the "Beverly Hills bells and whistles", but the knowledgeable staff, and challenging curriculum definitely make up for it. I have never felt a greater sense of community and parent involvement than at Dahlia Heights. I really love all aspects of this school and I am proud to have my kids attend here.

Posted February 7, 2012

We came from a charter school that really didn't work for my child. In contrast, the principal and staff at Dahlia have worked with us from day one to get him the proper support he needs. This is a far cry from other schools that just passed the buck. His anxiety has tapered off, his self confidence has improved and I he really likes this school. The exemplary staff and leadership really sets an example for other schools to follow. Also worth mentioning is the after school program, ARC led by Domi. He and his staff have been very understanding to our unique situation and I will be forever grateful for the way they have made the transition process much smoother for my child. The parent participation is one to be envied. The community of teachers, parents and staff have made Dahlia one of the great schools of LAUSD.

Posted January 26, 2012

Dahlia is a great neighborhood school! It is committed to the arts and the environment. The new office manager is a joy to be around and Principal Greenstadt is very dedicated. Overall the teachers are good and a few of them are truly stellar! The parent community is diverse and involved. PTA hosts educational speakers, fun community events and fundraisers to support the school. My child graduated last spring and I feel she received a solid academic foundation at Dahlia Heights. She is thriving academically at her new middle school, thanks in part to Dahlia Heights! Lastly, Dahlia is a School for Advanced Studies, so academically-gifted children out of the DHES boundaries can apply to attend. The school holds tours for prospective parents in the winter and spring, so check it out if you live in Eagle Rock or nearby.

Posted October 12, 2011

If you believe that shaping your child for the future is a combination of nature and nurture then the team at Dahlia Heights Elementary school, under the leadership of its current principal, are for you and your child or children. I've had both of my children studying there in the last 7 years. I've seen them grow emotionally, physically, and intellectually, proven by the CAT 6 scores, acceptance to GATE, numerous peer and teacher awards that highlight academic progress and moral integrity and my children's own desire to persevere and do better. From the technical expertise of current and novel teaching methods to the character and confidence-bulding you will marvel at how they teach your child from kindergarten to 6th grade. Is it a perfect school? There is none. Dahlia is a diamond int the ruff. DES is a community of teachers, parents, and local businesses. It is the strength in the collaboration of this community that molds your child into a happy ever-driven young adult. Come see for yourself and attend one of the PTA meetings, and be awed. My wife and I continue to be.

Posted October 4, 2011

I have had 4 children over 20 years in Dahlia and I went there many years ago. My going there is probably the reason I jeopardized my children's education for so long at such a miserable place. Education is only a priority for a few good teachers there. One teacher is of the opinion that "boys are bad" and is currently still there abusing boys because they are not as good as girls. I should have left sooner. When I asked the principal to address my concerns nothing was done. Needless to say, I have finally given up and moved on. If you are a fan of bullying, a parent threatened my then six year old. Or if you prefer to be told your children are getting the best education in public schools without delivery take your chances and go to Dahlia. Sadly, the school no longer reflects the community it serves. People from far and wide try to get in based on the success of teachers, office personnel, and administrators who have long since retired.

Posted August 19, 2011

I am an elementary school teacher in another high performing LAUSD school. I'm extremely happy with the school, and the community. The parents are welcoming and everyone is working hard towards making this school the best it can be for our children.

Posted November 9, 2010

The office staff is new so I'm hoping it has gotten better, the previous office manager was wretched. I don't believe in brown nosing someone when they have a job to do. The school's score are high because it is in a middle class area, the socio-economic statues of the community plays a major role in test scores. I am not impress with the teachers, it is a hit or miss if you get a decent teacher for the year. The parents are not the friendliest, some are very snobby (Why I don't know? They live in ER). Years ago I tried to join the PTA, we were ignored so why bother now. Kids are not the friendliest, there is a lot of bullying going on. The kids must take after their parents. Not impressed just can't afford private right now.

Posted September 16, 2010

We are very excited about the new 2010-2011 school year. My son got the teacher we requested and seems very happy. The principal helped bring Champios on board and we are very pleased about that. Though she may not have the social attitude parents might want, she is a student advocate and delivers. We are lucky to have such a great small chool in our neighborhood. I wish more parents would give our neighborhoods schools like DH a chance before opting to go to charters or private schools. We do have a gem of a school. Parental involvement is plus so if you are a parent...get involved. Your opinion counts only if you let it be known!

Posted September 15, 2010

My child enjoys attending Dahlia Heights and it has been a great school for us as a family. The teachers are wonderful! The office staff has always been friendly. I will say that the Principle Ms. Greenstadt has not impressed me at all. I think she would be more suited to a High School as opposed to an Elementary. She is not friendly at all. In all of the times I have been to the school I have never seen her walking around saying, "Hi" to the children or being sweet in anyway. She only speaks to them when scolding them. I realize that she is administrator but this is a school for young children. Nurturing should be a behavioral prerequisite for anyone working there. Please keep in mind that over all the children are well behaved, I have never seen disorder on the campus. Wonderful school, cold Principal.

Posted August 30, 2010

I went to Dahlia Heights today to get information regarding registering my son for Kindergarten. I was very impressed by the friendly staff. Along with my Kindergarten son, I went in with my other 2 boys - both toddlers. The entire staff was warm and friendly. The principal took the time to introduce herself and to welcome us to the school. Further, even the librarian introduced herself, and made my son feel welcome. My son is saying that he is excited to start attending this school. As an educator myself, I am quite glad to have this school as my home school.

Posted May 5, 2010

This is a small school with a strong sense of community. The teachers are great and most have been teaching at the school for at least 10 years. The school has an arts program, which the students really enjoy.

Posted April 28, 2010

To the post on March 17, 2010. The negative reviews are from actual incidents that have accured. Or they wouldn't be posted. Maybe spend a little time there and really see things. Before and after school care, terrible. The kids are running like chickens w/their heads cut off. Boys and girls are running in/out of eachothers restrooms and throwing each other. No real supervision. Some teachers are great, Im not saying all are bad. Office staff is bad. PTA does work very hard for the school, but they are not the friendliest. They need to have open doors to everyone, no matter the amount or time they give to the school.

Posted April 22, 2010

They believe in arts in education, the community is really involved and the student population is very diverse. School is charming and promotes gardening, recycling and helping others.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

All Students70%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 362 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

• Rona Greenstadt
Fax number
  • (323) 344-9129

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Individually guided instruction

Staff resources available to students
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Computer lab

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5063 Floristan Avenue