September 18, 2015
To all the parents touring kindergartens - look no more! Come check out Elysian Heights Elementary in the heart of Echo Park. After looking at all the options out there - charters, co-op, private, dual-language immersion programs - we ended up choosing this gem of a local public school, and are so happy we made the right decision. Here are some of the reasons why, in no particular order:
- Amazing teachers & full time TA, making the student to teacher ratio 10:1. Class size is around 20 students.
- Inspiring principal who knows every kid & parents' name! He is so accessible and is encouraging a strong sense of community among teachers, students, and parents.
- Free after-school programs until 6pm - including classes such as ballet, dance, garden club, running club, music classes, homework club
- Great campus with mature trees, grass, community garden, library, computer lab, music/dance room, kiln, parent center, playground, etc.
- Free breakfast and lunch (for TK & K kids, breakfast on Fridays is at the garden with parents)
- Involved parents and a large parent center
- Big treehouse in the kindergarten yard that was built by one of the parents
- A strong emphasis on health and wellness - in fact, the school is on track to becoming a Health & Wellness magnet
- Project based learning
- Fun annual events like Taste of Elysian Heights, 5K Run
- They are under-enrolled and have room for transfer students
- Diverse student body
- Rich history - built a hundred years ago in 1915!
- submitted by a parent