School principal icon 130x130 072214

School Official Point of View

Welcome to Grand View! Our Spanish Immersion Program, the first and only 90:10 model in LAUSD, is stronger than ever in its 24th year. Our superb English Learning Academy is reaching new goals in stride with our dedication to rigorous academics. Thanks to our incredibly committed, dynamic teachers, test scores continue to rise at unprecedented levels (API +126 in five years), placing us in the top 5% of schools for growth. We are thrilled this year to integrate students with special needs as part of our extended curriculum in P.S. ARTS, District Arts, Adapted Physical Education and our excellent Garden School Foundation Seed to Table program. Every student has access to a wide range of enrichment choices, plus free before and after-school care with clubs and homework assistance. Meanwhile, parents get involved with workshops at our state-of-the-art Parent Center, or with the PTA, which enthusiastically betters our school and hosts a fun array of educational and cultural events. We are proud to be the home of such a vibrant and collaborative community. Come see for yourself why so many families choose Grand View over any other. Go Dragons! Principal Ortiz
February 2, 2014

Posted June 18, 2014
This schools attention to focusing on the whole family has been remarkable. The front office staff responds promptly to questions and the children seem very happy. I am looking forward to the school year for my children.

Posted March 16, 2014
I adore Grandview Elementary School. Some of my best childhood memories revolve around my experiences at the school. I had amazing, dedicated teachers who I continue to keep in contact with to this day. I am so thankful to have been a part of the school's Dual Language Program because I believe that my success as a student has a great deal to do with the impact of that program. I excelled in middle school, earning a scholarship that would reward me from 7th grade until high school graduation with $1200 every semester to pay for any educational expenses, (which included purchasing a laptop, taking a trip to New York, and visiting many museums and plays/musicals.) I graduated middle school with many honors and went on to high school where I also excelled and graduated with honors and went on to a four year college. The Dual Language Program gave me many advantages when it came to school work, learning foreign languages, and getting jobs. I know that if it wasn't for the Dual Language Program, I would have had a harder time in French class for sure! It is my opinion that the Dual Language Program is a MUST for parents who want their children to succeed not only in school but in life.

Posted March 10, 2014
Grand View is an exceptional school! We feel so blessed to have found this gem! My boys are in first & third grades & they are absolutely thriving! We are an English only home (my husband & I do not speak Spanish), but they both read & speak Spanish beautifully! My 3rd grader is doing a research project on the planet Saturn & will present it in Espanol! The teachers are exceptional! Very committed & really do go above & beyond! I am very fond of them ALL! Mr. Ortiz, our principal, is just the best! Very involved, committed, interested, approachable...the PTA is a a lot of fun & as a parent, I am enjoying this experience so much as well! GV has a great community of parents that are very involved; we have an amazing community! We also have a gorgeous garden & garden teacher that teaches the kids to actually cook AND we have an incredible ARTS program AND music! Such a great place- could NOT be HAPPIER!

Posted March 09, 2014
I cannot say enough good things about this school. My daughter is in kinder in the Spanish Immersion Program (90/10 model). She is thriving! We do not speak Spanish at home, but she is already speaking, reading, and writing in Spanish. Her teacher (and teacher's aide) are so caring and committed. There is strong parent involvement and the principal is a great leader and he is very accessible. One of the things that really impresses me about this school is that there are a number of teachers who send their own children to Grand View. The "5" rating on this site does not reflect the quality of the education at this school. It really should be an 8 or 9. Come and see for yourself.

Posted February 04, 2014
My school is friendly and focussed on the kids. We have an incredible staff that works very hard to ensure safety and a high quality education.

Posted February 04, 2014
Grand View Blvd. Elementary is the hidden gem of Mar Vista! My daughter attended a fantastic Pre-K program last year: FREE. This year we decided between two Spanish Immersion Kinder programs. We were unsure of the 90/10 Spanish/English ratio, worried it would be too much Spanish all at once. We didn't want our daughter to feel alienated in a class with all Spanish speakers when she knew so little herself. But after doing research and meeting with wonderful parents and teachers during the tour last year, we decided on Grand View and are thrilled with our decision. Our child was speaking and understanding Spanish within a few weeks. She's singing songs, reading and writing in Spanish-AND English! Her teacher and staff are FANTASTIC, passionate, skilled, loving. Her classmates are great kids, and the demographic of her school is a great balance of kids from all walks of life, ethnic and racial backgrounds. The most important thing is she's having a wonderful Kinder year, is very happy, and is-almost magically-A SPANISH SPEAKER! Grand View has a wonderful, smart and active PTA, a kind, warm Principal, and is a lovely gem in our community. Thank you Grand View, GO DRAGONS!

Posted February 04, 2014
I run an after school photography enrichment class at Grand View (Samy's Camera Photo Camp). Having taught at many Los Angeles schools, Grand View stands out as a lovely, vibrant community of parents, students, Principal, and teachers working together for the bright futures of all.

Posted February 03, 2014
I think it's a wonderful thing to see how parents are involved in their children's progress. This is my son's 2nd year in the dual language program at Grand View and this semester they have introduced Singapore Math into his 1st grade class. Even though the transition was uncomfortable for most parents, including myself. I loved how the teachers heard our cry for help and called a meeting with all parents and had a quick course in how we can properly help our child at home achieve a better understanding at home. It took me 2 quick sessions of training with my son's teacher to get myself as well as my child on the road to a stronger foundation in Singapore Math. It feels good to know that the teachers are here to help, but first we must ask and remain involved in our child future, no matter what. Hats off to Grand View.

Posted February 03, 2014
Grand View vs. El Marino... Our child went to Pre-K at El Marino, another highly-touted language immersion school which seems to have many advantages over Grand View at first glance, especially on a "score" website like this one. But when it came time for elementary school, based on our experiences and personal opinions, we chose GV because: 1. El Marino sits in the shadow of America's busiest freeway. Kids are exposed daily to pollutants created by congested I-405 traffic almost directly overhead, and the small steps to try to address school air quality just aren't comforting enough for us to send our kids there. Who can say what the associated long-term health risks are, especially for young children. 2. A friend transferred her son to El Marino after K and 1st at Grand View, thinking it an upgrade. He was the highest testing non-native Spanish speaker to ever transfer in, then spent 2nd grade repeating what he'd already learned in 1st grade at GV. 3. When touring, I got the sense El Marino is more rigid and into tests, whereas GV's teachers seemed much more interested in the child's ability to not only grasp but fully embrace and grow from this brand-new learning experience.

Posted February 02, 2014
It's so amazing to be part of a community where parents can have such an impact on the school. Test scores (and school spirit) are on the rise and we're thankful to be at an institution that values a bilingual education. Our English-speaking child is picking up Spanish at lightning speed and it gives him so much confidence in himself. This early age is the perfect time to gain fluency in a foreign language, while getting an excellent overall education. We're very happy with our choice!

Grand View Boulevard Elementary School
3951 Grand View Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90066
Last modified Grand View Boulevard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grand View Boulevard Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 60 reviews.