Los Angeles, CA
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to Grand View! Our Spanish Immersion Program was the first ever in LAUSD, and is now stronger than ever as we celebrate our 25th silver anniversary year. Our superb English Learning Academy is reaching new goals in stride with our dedication to rigorous academics. Thanks to our incredibly committed, dynamic teachers, API test scores jumped +126 in five years, placing us in the top 5% of schools for growth. We expect the same excellence in the transition to Common Core standards. Our school integrates students with special needs in our extended curriculum in P.S. ARTS, District Arts, Adapted Physical Education and our excellent Garden School Foundation Seed to Table program. Our fabulous free Pre-K is offered in English or Spanish Immersion. Our students have access to a wide range of enrichment choices, plus free before and after-school care with clubs and homework assistance. Parents get involved with workshops at our state-of-the-art Parent Center and PTA, which enthusiastically works to help all children by fundraising and hosting a fun array of educational and cultural events. We are proud to be the home of such a vibrant and collaborative community. Come see for yourself why Grand View is the first and only choice for so many families. Go Dragons! -Principal Ortiz
October 20, 2014

Posted November 24, 2014
I am grateful for the teachers, families and administration at grand view! we have a great community that gets better every day because of the involved families, resourceful and giving teachers, and a wonderful admin that brings it all together. I am so happy I made the choice for my children to learn in Spanish (though they did not speak it before kindergarten). we are truly happy and grateful!!

Posted October 18, 2014
Both of my children have participated in the dual language program, with my oldest moving on to a language centered middle school magnet program. I have had excellent experiences at GV and anytime I have asked for assistance or shared a problem/concern it was addressed immediately and compassionately. The community of parents and educators is supportive and understanding. The teachers/staff/administration are willing to advocate for the student community when parents are vocally concerned about district policies. Recently, the entire GV community united to make the integration with a neighboring school a positive experience for everyone who would be affected by the process.

Grand View Boulevard Elementary School 2

Posted October 17, 2014
My wife & I used to love this school. I led tours for prospective parents. Now, I am trumpeting: families beware! We enrolled our child in kinder in the dual language program. We were a very active part of the school community for more than 5 years. Our concerns began when our child was in 2nd grade. The teacher exercised authority in an unnecessarily heavy-handed way. Our child did not respond well, to say the least. The principal, who would rather stick his head in the sand than confront one of his veteran teachers, at first refused to assist us. After a painful, protracted struggle, we got our child transferred. The remainder of that school year went ok. Our daughter had wonderful teachers for 3rd & 4th grades. In Aug./Sept. 2014, my wife & I were shocked to realize that we had a replay of our 2nd grade situation with the 5th grade teacher. The harshness of the teacher s approach, notable for its lack of willingness to accommodate, followed by the principal turning into a stone wall, led us to withdraw our child from the school. We have found a progressive, nurturing environment for our child; which, sadly, we were unable to find @ Grand View.

Posted September 10, 2014
I am a public school teacher with over 20 years experience. I am also doing a middle and high school credential right now. I have two girls at this school. The atmosphere is priceless and it's really up with the research.The teachers are well-respected, empowered in their teaching, and just excellent. Great principal too: very real, effective & approachable. He sets a really fun tone. This school has it all: an art room/teacher, a music room/teacher, a garden & kitchen, dual language, multicultural curriculum, special education program... Here, language, culture & academics are valued over what kind of car you drive--and I drive over 16 miles 4x/day; it feels like five. I grew up in LA and totally avoid commuting but it's that worthwhile. We left a 900+API school for this one and have never looked back. If your child is not being immersed in a second language, your school can't hold a candle to this one. This place is the best kept secret. I almost hate to give it away.

Posted June 18, 2014
This schools attention to focusing on the whole family has been remarkable. The front office staff responds promptly to questions and the children seem very happy. I am looking forward to the school year for my children.

Posted March 16, 2014
I adore Grandview Elementary School. Some of my best childhood memories revolve around my experiences at the school. I had amazing, dedicated teachers who I continue to keep in contact with to this day. I am so thankful to have been a part of the school's Dual Language Program because I believe that my success as a student has a great deal to do with the impact of that program. I excelled in middle school, earning a scholarship that would reward me from 7th grade until high school graduation with $1200 every semester to pay for any educational expenses, (which included purchasing a laptop, taking a trip to New York, and visiting many museums and plays/musicals.) I graduated middle school with many honors and went on to high school where I also excelled and graduated with honors and went on to a four year college. The Dual Language Program gave me many advantages when it came to school work, learning foreign languages, and getting jobs. I know that if it wasn't for the Dual Language Program, I would have had a harder time in French class for sure! It is my opinion that the Dual Language Program is a MUST for parents who want their children to succeed not only in school but in life.

Posted March 10, 2014
Grand View is an exceptional school! We feel so blessed to have found this gem! My boys are in first & third grades & they are absolutely thriving! We are an English only home (my husband & I do not speak Spanish), but they both read & speak Spanish beautifully! My 3rd grader is doing a research project on the planet Saturn & will present it in Espanol! The teachers are exceptional! Very committed & really do go above & beyond! I am very fond of them ALL! Mr. Ortiz, our principal, is just the best! Very involved, committed, interested, approachable...the PTA is a a lot of fun & as a parent, I am enjoying this experience so much as well! GV has a great community of parents that are very involved; we have an amazing community! We also have a gorgeous garden & garden teacher that teaches the kids to actually cook AND we have an incredible ARTS program AND music! Such a great place- could NOT be HAPPIER!

Posted March 09, 2014
I cannot say enough good things about this school. My daughter is in kinder in the Spanish Immersion Program (90/10 model). She is thriving! We do not speak Spanish at home, but she is already speaking, reading, and writing in Spanish. Her teacher (and teacher's aide) are so caring and committed. There is strong parent involvement and the principal is a great leader and he is very accessible. One of the things that really impresses me about this school is that there are a number of teachers who send their own children to Grand View. The "5" rating on this site does not reflect the quality of the education at this school. It really should be an 8 or 9. Come and see for yourself.

Posted February 04, 2014
My school is friendly and focussed on the kids. We have an incredible staff that works very hard to ensure safety and a high quality education.

Posted February 04, 2014
Grand View Blvd. Elementary is the hidden gem of Mar Vista! My daughter attended a fantastic Pre-K program last year: FREE. This year we decided between two Spanish Immersion Kinder programs. We were unsure of the 90/10 Spanish/English ratio, worried it would be too much Spanish all at once. We didn't want our daughter to feel alienated in a class with all Spanish speakers when she knew so little herself. But after doing research and meeting with wonderful parents and teachers during the tour last year, we decided on Grand View and are thrilled with our decision. Our child was speaking and understanding Spanish within a few weeks. She's singing songs, reading and writing in Spanish-AND English! Her teacher and staff are FANTASTIC, passionate, skilled, loving. Her classmates are great kids, and the demographic of her school is a great balance of kids from all walks of life, ethnic and racial backgrounds. The most important thing is she's having a wonderful Kinder year, is very happy, and is-almost magically-A SPANISH SPEAKER! Grand View has a wonderful, smart and active PTA, a kind, warm Principal, and is a lovely gem in our community. Thank you Grand View, GO DRAGONS!

Grand View Boulevard Elementary School
3951 Grand View Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90066
Last modified Grand View Boulevard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grand View Boulevard Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 61 reviews. Top