School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to Grand View! Our Spanish Immersion Program was the first ever in LAUSD, and is now stronger than ever as we celebrate our 25th silver anniversary year. Our superb English Learning Academy is reaching new goals in stride with our dedication to rigorous academics. Thanks to our incredibly committed, dynamic teachers, API test scores jumped +126 in five years, placing us in the top 5% of schools for growth. We expect the same excellence in the transition to Common Core standards. Our school integrates students with special needs in our extended curriculum in P.S. ARTS, District Arts, Adapted Physical Education and our excellent Garden School Foundation Seed to Table program. Our fabulous free Pre-K is offered in English or Spanish Immersion. Our students have access to a wide range of enrichment choices, plus free before and after-school care with clubs and homework assistance. Parents get involved with workshops at our state-of-the-art Parent Center and PTA, which enthusiastically works to help all children by fundraising and hosting a fun array of educational and cultural events. We are proud to be the home of such a vibrant and collaborative community. Come see for yourself why Grand View is the first and only choice for so many families. Go Dragons! -Principal Ortiz
October 20, 2014

Posted May 08, 2015
My experience as a parent at Grand View has been phenomenal. I have witnessed the school continually transform into a work of art with color, murals, and beautiful gardens. My daughter adores her teachers, the academics, art, music, dance, theater, gardening and cooking classes. It has been a privilege to be a part of the fabric of this school. The teachers and parents continue to inspire me with their energy to make Grand View a healthy, safe and fun environment to learn.

Posted March 11, 2015
I do love this school! I have a 2nd Grader and a TK kid in the Spanish Immersion Program. They are doing very well in language, math, science, art, etc. This is a great neighborhood school. Very active PTA, caring parents and staff, Principal and a welcoming Parent Center. We have a great Seed to Table Garden Program! Art, Music, Dance, Theater. We are now fully intergrated with the Special Education Program that was formerly known as McBride (off Centinela)!

Grand View Boulevard Elementary School 4

Posted March 10, 2015
My daughter has attended Grand View since Pre School. She is now at the end of her 2nd grade year. She has been in the Spanish immersion program and has blossomed in bother her interpersonal and social kids but also her academic skills. She reads, speaks, and writes in Span ish without having a lot of practice at home. Her teachers have been amazing. They're supportive and have helped her to develop a strong foundation. The parents at this school are a huge part of the community. We have a strong core group who volunteer a lot and do the best they can to make this school the best it can be. The Principle Mr Ortiz cares about the kids and the well being of the school and kids. The community, family we have here is just amazing and has been such a great experience for my daughter and for me. Every school has its drawbacks, but when you find one at Grandview someone is there to listen and help change whatever needs changing. Lots of parents have stepped up to take over projects they're passionate about. I recommend their spanish immersion program to anyone.

Grand View Boulevard Elementary School 4

Posted March 08, 2015
My oldest daughter has attended this school for 4.5 years, my youngest for 1.5, both in the language immersion program. We are very grateful to have found a public school with this level of enrichment, community, support, and academics. The academic program is good and also improving with time; however, there are inconsistencies and communication from teachers to parents could be increased. Nevertheless, there is a wonderful diversity of committed teachers and families, including a very strong core of those who volunteer and create wonderful student activities. The student/teacher ratios in the immersion program are low compared to both the public and Catholic schools we have looked at. Group work and project-based learning is incorporated into aspects of all of the grades. Regular enrichment offered during the school day includes cooking and gardening classes, phys ed twice per week, art and music classes, and computer lab. Students with severe disabilities are integrated into various aspects of the program, providing learning opportunities for all. Very few LA public schools can boast this range of activities as a regular aspects of children's school days.

Posted November 24, 2014
I am grateful for the teachers, families and administration at grand view! we have a great community that gets better every day because of the involved families, resourceful and giving teachers, and a wonderful admin that brings it all together. I am so happy I made the choice for my children to learn in Spanish (though they did not speak it before kindergarten). we are truly happy and grateful!!

Grand View Boulevard Elementary School

Posted October 20, 2014
- a school leader

Posted October 18, 2014
Both of my children have participated in the dual language program, with my oldest moving on to a language centered middle school magnet program. I have had excellent experiences at GV and anytime I have asked for assistance or shared a problem/concern it was addressed immediately and compassionately. The community of parents and educators is supportive and understanding. The teachers/staff/administration are willing to advocate for the student community when parents are vocally concerned about district policies. Recently, the entire GV community united to make the integration with a neighboring school a positive experience for everyone who would be affected by the process.

Grand View Boulevard Elementary School 2

Posted October 17, 2014
My wife & I used to love this school. I led tours for prospective parents. Now, I am trumpeting: families beware! We enrolled our child in kinder in the dual language program. We were a very active part of the school community for more than 5 years. Our concerns began when our child was in 2nd grade. The teacher exercised authority in an unnecessarily heavy-handed way. Our child did not respond well, to say the least. The principal, who would rather stick his head in the sand than confront one of his veteran teachers, at first refused to assist us. After a painful, protracted struggle, we got our child transferred. The remainder of that school year went ok. Our daughter had wonderful teachers for 3rd & 4th grades. In Aug./Sept. 2014, my wife & I were shocked to realize that we had a replay of our 2nd grade situation with the 5th grade teacher. The harshness of the teacher s approach, notable for its lack of willingness to accommodate, followed by the principal turning into a stone wall, led us to withdraw our child from the school. We have found a progressive, nurturing environment for our child; which, sadly, we were unable to find @ Grand View.

Posted September 10, 2014
I am a public school teacher with over 20 years experience. I am also doing a middle and high school credential right now. I have two girls at this school. The atmosphere is priceless and it's really up with the research.The teachers are well-respected, empowered in their teaching, and just excellent. Great principal too: very real, effective & approachable. He sets a really fun tone. This school has it all: an art room/teacher, a music room/teacher, a garden & kitchen, dual language, multicultural curriculum, special education program... Here, language, culture & academics are valued over what kind of car you drive--and I drive over 16 miles 4x/day; it feels like five. I grew up in LA and totally avoid commuting but it's that worthwhile. We left a 900+API school for this one and have never looked back. If your child is not being immersed in a second language, your school can't hold a candle to this one. This place is the best kept secret. I almost hate to give it away.

Posted June 18, 2014
This schools attention to focusing on the whole family has been remarkable. The front office staff responds promptly to questions and the children seem very happy. I am looking forward to the school year for my children.

Grand View Boulevard Elementary School
3951 Grand View Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90066
Last modified Grand View Boulevard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grand View Boulevard Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top