School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to Grand View! Our Spanish Immersion Program was the first ever in LAUSD, and is now stronger than ever as we celebrate our 25th silver anniversary year. Our superb English Learning Academy is reaching new goals in stride with our dedication to rigorous academics. Thanks to our incredibly committed, dynamic teachers, API test scores jumped +126 in five years, placing us in the top 5% of schools for growth. We expect the same excellence in the transition to Common Core standards. Our school integrates students with special needs in our extended curriculum in P.S. ARTS, District Arts, Adapted Physical Education and our excellent Garden School Foundation Seed to Table program. Our fabulous free Pre-K is offered in English or Spanish Immersion. Our students have access to a wide range of enrichment choices, plus free before and after-school care with clubs and homework assistance. Parents get involved with workshops at our state-of-the-art Parent Center and PTA, which enthusiastically works to help all children by fundraising and hosting a fun array of educational and cultural events. We are proud to be the home of such a vibrant and collaborative community. Come see for yourself why Grand View is the first and only choice for so many families. Go Dragons! -Principal Ortiz
October 20, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My child is finishing his first year at Grandview dual immersion program. We left a high performing school district to come to this school and we couldn't be happier. The kindergarten teaching is excellent. The well-rounded education includes music, art, gardening, and cooking. I love the diversity of socioeconomic status, culture, and special needs. The school immerses him in art from the classroom, separate art classes, and after school art classes. Do not let the test scores fool you. My son picked up Spanish easily and continues to learn English well. The PTA, parent and community support is excellent. The principal is supportive and well liked. I love this school and it is worth the drive every day.

I seriously am in love with this school and ow everyone from principal to teachers to parents to PTA organizers come together to create a positive school culture which celebrates our kids. Both my children are enrolled in the Dual Immersion Spanish Language program and I'm thrilled with the results. I absolutely love participating in all the school's cultural events which recognize various heritages ranging from folkloric dancing for Dia de los muertos to honoring Black History month to celebrating Chinese New Year. Thank you so much for all the hard work you put into feeding our children's hearts and minds. <3

Develops character: Strongly agree

Grand View students benefit from our integration between general and special education students. It helps students develop empathy and compassion. Integration also helps prevent bullying because the students have meaningful experiences with children they might otherwise view as different.

Grand View has so much to offer! In addition to a caring and experienced staff, Grand View has a very vibrant and active community. Our PTA is a true collaboration between parents and faculty working for the benefit of all of our students. PTA helps provide art, music, and garden programs as well as field trips for all classes.

I love being a gv parent. my children have teachers who work hard and work together. the Spanish immersion program is the oldest in lausd, yet the teachers are innovative and caring. the parents and staff are great--it feels like a real community. we are so lucky to have found this school!

My experience as a parent at Grand View has been phenomenal. I have witnessed the school continually transform into a work of art with color, murals, and beautiful gardens. My daughter adores her teachers, the academics, art, music, dance, theater, gardening and cooking classes. It has been a privilege to be a part of the fabric of this school. The teachers and parents continue to inspire me with their energy to make Grand View a healthy, safe and fun environment to learn.

I do love this school! I have a 2nd Grader and a TK kid in the Spanish Immersion Program. They are doing very well in language, math, science, art, etc. This is a great neighborhood school. Very active PTA, caring parents and staff, Principal and a welcoming Parent Center. We have a great Seed to Table Garden Program! Art, Music, Dance, Theater. We are now fully intergrated with the Special Education Program that was formerly known as McBride (off Centinela)!

My daughter has attended Grand View since Pre School. She is now at the end of her 2nd grade year. She has been in the Spanish immersion program and has blossomed in bother her interpersonal and social kids but also her academic skills. She reads, speaks, and writes in Span ish without having a lot of practice at home. Her teachers have been amazing. They're supportive and have helped her to develop a strong foundation. The parents at this school are a huge part of the community. We have a strong core group who volunteer a lot and do the best they can to make this school the best it can be. The Principle Mr Ortiz cares about the kids and the well being of the school and kids. The community, family we have here is just amazing and has been such a great experience for my daughter and for me. Every school has its drawbacks, but when you find one at Grandview someone is there to listen and help change whatever needs changing. Lots of parents have stepped up to take over projects they're passionate about. I recommend their spanish immersion program to anyone.

My oldest daughter has attended this school for 4.5 years, my youngest for 1.5, both in the language immersion program. We are very grateful to have found a public school with this level of enrichment, community, support, and academics. The academic program is good and also improving with time; however, there are inconsistencies and communication from teachers to parents could be increased. Nevertheless, there is a wonderful diversity of committed teachers and families, including a very strong core of those who volunteer and create wonderful student activities. The student/teacher ratios in the immersion program are low compared to both the public and Catholic schools we have looked at. Group work and project-based learning is incorporated into aspects of all of the grades. Regular enrichment offered during the school day includes cooking and gardening classes, phys ed twice per week, art and music classes, and computer lab. Students with severe disabilities are integrated into various aspects of the program, providing learning opportunities for all. Very few LA public schools can boast this range of activities as a regular aspects of children's school days.

I am grateful for the teachers, families and administration at grand view! we have a great community that gets better every day because of the involved families, resourceful and giving teachers, and a wonderful admin that brings it all together. I am so happy I made the choice for my children to learn in Spanish (though they did not speak it before kindergarten). we are truly happy and grateful!!

Last modified Grand View Boulevard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.