Los Angeles, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted January 12, 2014
If you want to rank this school, based its value on the API scores. At 754, this school is close to a score of 800, which is the state goal. For an inner city school, with a limited amount of resources, this is not only excellent--- but exceptional! People may have their personal opinions about the school's leadership, but the test scores speak volume; the students are learning here.

Posted October 24, 2013
Menlo Avenue Elementary School has gone through many changes and very dangerous times. For example, we have had several principals and vice-principals come and go, including teachers. Some of the dangerous moments were unexpected lockdown due to shootings in our neighborhood. But I see the light at the end of the tunnel because I have witness many former Menlo students who are now young adults in college or working. My hat is off to the many hard and caring ones who worked their best at Menlo Avenue Elementary School.

Menlo Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted September 07, 2013
I miss u Menlo : ) was there from "k" 1984 through "5" 1989.... At that time the teachers were awesome use to live litterly across from the dinosaur meusium, at that time all the meusiums were free so that use to be our playground. The culusium bought us out and they turn it into a parking lot for football games and a park next to it. Does anyone know if 32st market is still there? I am dying to know! The exposition park use to have after school programs so that was Luke my second home, I still remember my kindergarten teacher Mrs. Lopez. Great Memories : )

Menlo Avenue Elementary School 2

Posted July 26, 2013
The new leader is race oriented. Principal Jones has let go of veteran school workers and teachers because of budget cuts but has rehired new staff particularly of her race. She was even overheard talking to a secretary about hiring someone and she asked, "Are they hispanic?" Don't believe me? Check out for yourself. If I am actually wrong, then I will be glad things have been restored but I sincerely doubt it. She also defends BAD STUDENTS of her race. Need an example? How about the kid (sorry, I don't know his name) whose mother volunteers at the school who was caught stealing (robbing) jewelry from younger students... she grabbed him right before he made his entry to the office immediately after he was reported and an ignorant office worker even said, "But that cannot be true, he wouldn't do that; his mother works here." I don't know if this kid is still there, but he always did plenty of bad things like this; it really bothers me that negative behavior of such can occur with adults' knowledge and go unpunished and even defended! I attended this school decades ago and I even worked there, both times under Principal Chandler. But now, I definitely would not send my kids there.

Menlo Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted May 30, 2012
This school is negative five. Apparently allow Police reports to get filed on students without informing parents. As if that is not enough, police question children regarding these police reports, AGAIN without contacting parents.

Menlo Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted February 01, 2012
The school can be a bette place for all our kids if the principal would be more involved with the teachers and the school would be more clean. the restrooms are always super dirty i feel terrible for the kids that have to use it. it seems like they dont have a voice. trash is all over the campus. this school sure needs a little make over. the cafeteria is always durty and the crew serve the food knowing that they would not even eat half of what the kids are being fed. How sad that for being a poor community this school is taken for granted.

Posted December 01, 2011
I also went to Menlo Ave school and it was the teachers like Mrs Ima Jean Lawrence and others that made that school a wonderful place. She was the best and I loved her. She made learning a pleasure and we need more of those type of teachers that care about our future. Thanks to Mrs Lawrence and many others who made my life and learning time important to me. Ruth 1970ish

Posted April 28, 2011
I graduated from Menlo in 1977. It was a great school because we had Teachers like Mr. Hansen who dedicated his all to the kids at Menlo. ALL the kids!!! We wanted a drum corp so Mr. Hansen used his own money to buy the drums and uniforms we needed. We wanted a safe place to swim so Mr. Hansen had a swimming pool built in his back yard for us. It was teachers like him and Mrs. Ima Jean Lawrence who made Menlo Ave a gr8 school. I have a special place in my heart for Menlo Ave and anyone who attended this wonderful school.

Menlo Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted February 10, 2011
I went to this school from Pre-school to third grade! I thought it was okay! I am now a Sophmore in high school and live in Virginia. I remeber one day we were all outside in recess and all of a sudden we here the fire alarms and a minute later we were hearing cops and it was a car chase. We all ran inside and it was pretty scary. but overall its pretty awesome. Its a good school.

Menlo Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted December 21, 2010
Well i went to this school in second grade.Yeah i loved it here but they had its ups and downs.Like when we went on break and came back the school will be covered in gang signs and different types of words.So if you were to bring your child to this school i prefer you watch your kid check up on them and just keep on eye on them,and make sure they don't say bad words because when i was there every single child would be saying bad words.The profanity there is so high i was amazed on how many kids said bad words.I am not saying DONT BRING YOUR KIDS HERE i am just saying make sure they are not followers but leaders of a good tribe or in this case friends with good kids.I am now in 5th grade and this is how i saw menlo

Menlo Avenue Elementary School
4156 Menlo Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90037
Last modified Menlo Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Menlo Avenue Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top