Posted September 23, 2014
Mount Washington is a school like no other! The administration, teachers, staff, & parents make it the GREAT school that it is. This school has gone through numerous principals; finally we have someone who stands for what she believes in; supporting the teachers to ensure that the children of Mt Washington receive the BEST education possible. The teachers are all highly qualified & often go above & beyond the call of duty. Many are often seen putting in more hours beyond the bell; planning, collaborating, tutoring, & conferencing with parents. This doesn't include the hours they put in on the weekends. Just drive & you'll see cars in the parking lot. The principal & her teachers are dedicated. The teachers attend trainings & conferences, continuously read & refer to the latest research, & implement school wide strategies & techniques to meet the needs of all students. Parental involvement is outstanding. They too work hard to make sure that their children & their teachers are supported by volunteering & using their resources to provide additional learning opportunities. The conversations that take place in the classrooms & the quality of learning is something to be proud of.

Mt. Washington Elementary School 2

Posted September 09, 2014
Mt Washington Elementary School is a good school and not a great school. It is mediocre as most lausd schools and at the end of the day it's a public school with no money. The parent volunteers are the reason it is the school that it is with high API scores that are status quo because teachers don't do more and don't do less. Our experience has been okay. Last year there was more police cars and we started yes school yr the same because of problems with kids and parents. In my opinion the principal, Georgina Gravino lacks leadership skills, is divisive and does not have a presence. She is no Valentino. The PTA has a strong presence and runs the principal and the school. It is unfortunate it is not more than what it is. Our children, do well and would do well at any school.

Posted May 10, 2014
Echoing what many parents here have said. Your voice and your child's voice are definitely heard. I had a child (one of three who attended MW) who was not stimulated enough and we had countless meetings with teachers and the principal to find ways to help her. She had great work ethic even then. Eventually, she started a program whereby the older students would tutor the younger ones in Math and Reading. From an initial crew of 6 volunteers, it grew to 30+ by the time she graduated. Those 3 children eventually went to an Ivy League university, two of whom graduated from the #1 business school, Wharton. We loved the location. Where other elem school in the city of Los Angeles can be in such an idyllic location where the children can pick and eat kumquats? My children loved their time there and when they come back for a visit from NYC where they live, they take a drive and visit and reminisce over the wonderful times at Mt. Washington.

Posted April 30, 2014
My kids' school is a place where my voice as a parent is heard, there are opportunities for volunteering and there is a push to constantly improve in all aspects.

Posted November 27, 2012
I sent two children to Mt. Washington Elementary School. One went on to graduate from Harvard, the other graduated from UCSB and received a master's degree from the University of Antwerp (she resides there and learned the language). I have one grandchild who graduated from Mt. Washington and is now, at 14 in a special program for gifted and high achievers at CSULA. And...I have a granddaughter currently attending. I should be obvious what I think of the school. It has a lot going for it. Its small size, its unique hilltop location and parents that have always, more or less, run the school. We are so lucky to live in an area with such great public education available.

Posted September 11, 2012
I've been a parent to one student for a couple of years now, my son has been at Mt Washington since kindergarten. He's currently in the 5th grade. I now have two attending as my daughter is beginning kindergarten. The Principal and teachers I've encountered are incredible. With the leadership of Mrs. V's, the Principal at Mt. Washington, Ive noticed an extremely high standard of excellence set throughout the entire school and all the faculty members. Mrs. V has been at Mt. Washington a couple of years now and it's good to know that the school's leadership is far superior to that of many other LAUSD schools well in to the future. Lastly, the school's location is one of tranquility. It's nestled on a mountain overlooking all of Los Angeles in a very upscale neighboring community. There is ZERO violence...ZERO! How many other LAUSD schools can say that, and with confidence.. Great School, Great Environment (you literally forget you are in Los Angeles). Need I say more!

Posted July 16, 2012
Principal Valentino is a visionary and a gifted leader. She gives of herself heart and soul, works tirelessly and is dedicated to making Mt. Washington the very best it can be. The location is serene and lovely and the parent body is invested and hardworking. It really feels like a close-knit community. In the face of audacious budget cuts and economic crisis we continue to work together to solve problems and to keep moving forward always keeping what is best for the students at the forefront of our decisions. One of the ways this is done is in the form of surveys administered to parents and students to assess their priorities as to where what little money we have should be spent. Everyone has a voice! Mt. Washington is a gem and deserving of it's recent California Distinguished School award. We feel so fortunate to be a part of it.

Posted April 18, 2012
I have been a parent of two children who have attended this wonderful school for the past eight years. There have been some bumpy points with changeover, however, I believe this school is in its prime right now. We have just received a distinguished school award, have a top notch principle who replaced the non-working principle, wonderful teachers & staff and a group of parents who work VERY hard at making up funding with the lack of allocations from the district. I don't think you could find a stronger community.

Posted November 02, 2011
I was a student (k-6). I have always looked back and know how great my school was. Teachers knew all kids and everyone looked after the kids. In looking at schools for my son, this is the school I compare all elementary schools against. I wish I could send my son here!

Posted September 05, 2011
I have truly enjoyed this school. It has taught me everything that I know today and it truly is a great learning enviroment since it is so small and quiet. I think this school is a great way for kids to learn and meet kids even though they are still in a peaceful enviroment.

Mt. Washington Elementary School
3981 San Rafael Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90065
Last modified Mt. Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mt. Washington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top