Los Angeles, CA

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 28, 2015
A lot of common core busy work. The homework could be more innovative. It is a LAUSD public school though, not a charter.

Mt. Washington Elementary School 2

Posted August 28, 2015
Angry and frustrated at my daughter's school. We pulled my oldest from Mt. Washington Elementary last year for being bullied and the principal refusing to handle it appropriately. This year since we are still on a waiting list to go to another school we had to re-enroll her as she didn't want to do homeschool again...she missed her friend interaction. So, this year she was placed in a 5th/6th grade split. My problem is...she's the only girl in the class on the 5th grade side. She sits at a table with 7 boys and her. She is having trouble doing her work without disruption. Ms. Gravino, the principal told me she observed some of my daughter's complaints in class, but because of large class size, there is no room to move her and her hands are tied. I reminded her of the letter she sent out stating that the main goal of the school was to ensure the academic needs of the children are met in the classroom to which they are assigned. This is not the case for my daughter. Ms. Gravino's letter to the parents is only lip service in my families situation and at the expense of my daughter who happens to be an excellent student. I stated to Ms. Gravino, "So, my daughter is getting the short end of the stick this year then, by being the only 5th grade girl in the class and at a table of 7 boys who can be wild and disruptive?" Her reply was, "My hands are tied, there is nothing I can do." I got a text from another parent earlier in the week regarding a conversation they also had with Ms. Gravino and they stated that she was "empathetic as a rock." I feel the same way. At the expense of the children and their education...there should always be something one can do to make a situation better. She was unwilling to even entertain the idea of options when it came to my daughter's education this year. That's two years in a row Ms. Gravino has dropped the ball with regard to my child and family. Her complacency is not appreciated and is not appropriate when is comes to the education of the students of her school. It is not appropriate to have one single girl in a grade in the classroom regardless of a split especially since the teacher is teaching two completely different lessons in the classroom. Mt. Washington Elementary in my opinion has gone downhill the last few years.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 28, 2015
We've had our share of good teachers and a bigger share of not so good teachers. My daughter's current teacher gives the kids candy in class if they raise their hand and provide the right answers.

Posted June 14, 2015
Mt. Washington has great levels of parent involvement, has unparalleled diversity in its area, solid visual arts integration (love to see more music & dance, but...) and does a very good job of creating a sense of community. What Mt. Washington has traditionally not done well, however, is address varied learner needs, particularly providing enrichment & challenging learning for 'above-the-curve' students by teachers and staff during the school day. For that, you have to pay extra for the (many and diverse, happy to say) after-school enrichment programs. Yes it has +900 scores, yet the school rates a 2 of 10 in academics when compared with schools with the same demographics, and this despite its designation as a School for Advanced Studies. I am happy to say that the teachers do not pile on excessive homework (okay, 3rd grade was a little rough), but the school policy is to refer parents interested in developmentally-appropriate academics for their children to other pay-for-play programs such as Mathnasium and private tutoring. T

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted June 14, 2015
I do - however there have been some glaring examples in recent years of faculty, staff & administration being extremely arbitrary and harsh in adopting rules, without appropriately addressing family & student concerns.

Mt. Washington Elementary School 5

Posted September 23, 2014
Mount Washington is a school like no other! The administration, teachers, staff, & parents make it the GREAT school that it is. This school has gone through numerous principals; finally we have someone who stands for what she believes in; supporting the teachers to ensure that the children of Mt Washington receive the BEST education possible. The teachers are all highly qualified & often go above & beyond the call of duty. Many are often seen putting in more hours beyond the bell; planning, collaborating, tutoring, & conferencing with parents. This doesn't include the hours they put in on the weekends. Just drive & you'll see cars in the parking lot. The principal & her teachers are dedicated. The teachers attend trainings & conferences, continuously read & refer to the latest research, & implement school wide strategies & techniques to meet the needs of all students. Parental involvement is outstanding. They too work hard to make sure that their children & their teachers are supported by volunteering & using their resources to provide additional learning opportunities. The conversations that take place in the classrooms & the quality of learning is something to be proud of.

Mt. Washington Elementary School 2

Posted September 09, 2014
Mt Washington Elementary School is a good school and not a great school. It is mediocre as most lausd schools and at the end of the day it's a public school with no money. The parent volunteers are the reason it is the school that it is with high API scores that are status quo because teachers don't do more and don't do less. Our experience has been okay. Last year there was more police cars and we started yes school yr the same because of problems with kids and parents. In my opinion the principal, Georgina Gravino lacks leadership skills, is divisive and does not have a presence. She is no Valentino. The PTA has a strong presence and runs the principal and the school. It is unfortunate it is not more than what it is. Our children, do well and would do well at any school.

Posted May 10, 2014
Echoing what many parents here have said. Your voice and your child's voice are definitely heard. I had a child (one of three who attended MW) who was not stimulated enough and we had countless meetings with teachers and the principal to find ways to help her. She had great work ethic even then. Eventually, she started a program whereby the older students would tutor the younger ones in Math and Reading. From an initial crew of 6 volunteers, it grew to 30+ by the time she graduated. Those 3 children eventually went to an Ivy League university, two of whom graduated from the #1 business school, Wharton. We loved the location. Where other elem school in the city of Los Angeles can be in such an idyllic location where the children can pick and eat kumquats? My children loved their time there and when they come back for a visit from NYC where they live, they take a drive and visit and reminisce over the wonderful times at Mt. Washington.

Posted April 30, 2014
My kids' school is a place where my voice as a parent is heard, there are opportunities for volunteering and there is a push to constantly improve in all aspects.

Mt. Washington Elementary School 5

Posted November 27, 2012
I sent two children to Mt. Washington Elementary School. One went on to graduate from Harvard, the other graduated from UCSB and received a master's degree from the University of Antwerp (she resides there and learned the language). I have one grandchild who graduated from Mt. Washington and is now, at 14 in a special program for gifted and high achievers at CSULA. And...I have a granddaughter currently attending. I should be obvious what I think of the school. It has a lot going for it. Its small size, its unique hilltop location and parents that have always, more or less, run the school. We are so lucky to live in an area with such great public education available.

3981 San Rafael Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90065
Last modified Mt. Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mt. Washington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top