Palms Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1598 students

Posted December 9, 2012

I choose Palms after touring the school twice, what wasn't clear was that the only classrooms toured were the Magnet classes. My child is highly gifted but did not get into the magnet. The SAS classes offer very little in terms of curriculum and homework consists mostly of worksheets that are very easy for my child. The English class has zero outside reading although my son loves his teacher. The only thing keeping us there this year is Mrs. West, the music teacher who I must say runs an incredible program keeping the kids engaged and focused. The school offers zero outside enrichment. There is one after school care program, but there is no way for the kids to connect outside of the classroom. Sadly we will not be returning and implore you to ensure this is the school for you if you do not get into the magnet program as the general education offers no challenge for the gifted child.

Posted December 8, 2012

Palms Middle School has excellent hard working teachers. It has an AMAZING band and orchestra! Ms.West is the best instrumental teacher ever! Im currently a 7th grader and I'm in Gold Band and i started in winds the band theres Blue and Gold band and stings and Orchestra. The office is a little unorganized but out of all that its a great school. If you put your child in Palms you wont regret it. The NEW principal Dr.Dereck Moriuchi is an active principal who gets involed and does'nt stay in his office all day. Im being serious sign your child up for Palms Middle School!!!

Posted May 17, 2012

I think Palms is an amazing school. I've just recently graduated from this middle school and I have been accepted in Mira Costa High, one of the best, high ranking high schools here in California.

Posted April 4, 2012

This is a horrible school... teachers are uneducated and takes their frustration out on the kids. They never return calls and allow kids fail without getting parents involved.

Posted November 15, 2011

This is a great school! The teachers care about the kids, the staff care and the kids care about each other! Middle schoolers kind of lose their minds around this age and think they can skate by with limited effort like they did in elementary school, so it takes a lot of patience to guide them into learning skills like organization and time management. My kids still don't have it down but they're learning at a great place. Palms is terrific, and I'm sorry for the complainers who are not having as good of an experience! Any time we've had a problem it's been addressed right away. No matter where you are - parents need to be involved with their own child's education.

Posted September 22, 2011

Worst school to send your kid !!!! they only care about score,and MONEY<MONEY. thats it.your kid will be a stadistic only.no personalized at all!! it took us a long time to meet the principal and she rushed us out of the office....... reserch better do not be fooled by looks and reviews go and watch their interactions ....be smart do not send your kid there

Posted September 8, 2011

My son just started 6th grade. Already, we are experiencing problems with the staff. We never received information regarding 6th grade orientation called "Camp Palms". Registration materials were supposed to have been mailed last June. When we asked about it several times, the office staff either said "Oh, the person you need to speak to is not here." Later, we heard "Oh, it's too late. You should've registered." At parent orientation, the tone was also dismissive and condescending. The principal did a lot of finger pointing, saying "Check your child's backpack!" "Make sure your kids are not tardy!", "Don't honk your horns!", etc... Excuse me? But most parents already know this! The second day of school, this morning, I was walking my son. 50 feet in front of the main entrance, by the street, one of the office staff was literally "shooing" parents away. For now, I will wait to see how things turn out academically, with my child and his teachers. If things don't turn around, I am seriously considering transferring my child to another middle school.

Posted September 6, 2011

Coming from a rated 10 elementary school with a 955 API score and coming to this school that has an astonishingly horrible 857, I was very dissapointed, well actually not really because I didn't really think it was going to be great but I expected it to be at least better than what I got. I basically didn't learn any English in my class and I learned little new things of math. Now that I look back, I think, "Seriously?" I don't think the teachers here are nearly as talented as the ones I had in my elementary school that allowed me to stay in the 550's or more-always in my CST's

Posted July 10, 2011

I like this school and some of the teachers. Some of the teachers are a bit stubborn. But they show effort to teach the students. Palms Middle School is a safe enviroment and has a great music and drama program. The only real bad point is that it may not always be the most sanitary school. In all Palms Middle School is a great school, and I enjoyed my time there. As their slogan says, "Palms Pride".

Posted June 23, 2011

My 14 year old twins are completing the 8th grade this year. Our experience at Palms has been exceptional. My daughter fought me on attending Palms at first, but has since repeatedly acknowledged that it was the perfect choice for her. She loved every minute of it. Both had Mr. Kravetz for Algebra in 7th Grade and Ms. Kavicky for 8th Grade Geometry. Other standouts were Mr. An, Ms. Garrett, Ms. Eddington, Mr. Santana and Ms. Igarashi. Stage crew was phenomenal. Last, but certainly not least, I want to give a shout-out to Melinda Price. spectacular. She plans on visiting him as she congoing to this school

Posted June 22, 2011

I love the fact that students get to experience honor classes based on their grades in their previous coursework. My son's first year experience was up and down, which is fairly normal, considering he came from a small elementary school to this large population. This year, for his 7th grade, all of the teachers have been wonderful and helpful. It has been most helpful, when the school decided to upgrade their website and include a way for parents to email their child's teacher. Communication has improved tremendously!

Posted December 24, 2010

We picked Palms because it was our home school and they had a gifted Magnet. Their API scores were close if not better then the other schools we looked at and it was close to where we live. LACES goes to 12th grade. Some people see that as a plus, for us, it wasn't, I wanted my son to have the experience of being an upper classman more then once. Paul Revere was too far with basically the same test scores and the same education. New West Charter was too small. We couldn't be happier at Palms. All the schools are basically the same. You are not going to get a lesser education or better education, no matter which school you choose. Also, remember: They are not seven year olds anymore. Don't over protect them, let them fall and get up, let them experience. Palms has been a great and exciting adventure!

Posted December 13, 2010

My daughter graduated from Palms last year and my son is currently in the 7th grade here. Both of them have enjoyed their experience. Is the school perfect? No. Is any school on the face of the planet perfect? No. However, my kids have enjoyed their time at Palms and I have had only positive interactions with the staff and the Friends of Palms parent organization. Some of the excellent teachers I have encountered include Ms. West (Band), Ms. Garrett (7th grade History), Ms. Bourman (8th grade History), Mr. Kravets (Algebra) and Mr. Ambriz (Counselor).

Posted December 1, 2010

well i use to go to this school last year and its the best school that you can think of!! im serious! they have really great teachers and there always understanding.they make school and classes fun! they make palms so diffrent from other schools and the teachers there actually "teach" in a fun and easy way! shout out to mr. nicholson (my old history teacher) but yeah its really great and fun in a way that makes the students there including me wanting to go to school each and everyday, with enthusiasm:)) BEST SCHOOL EVER! PALMS ROCKS:D

Posted April 22, 2010

Palms Middle School is an excellent school. The majority of the kids are well behaved and the teachers are so caring and very involved in the children's wellbeing. Some standout teachers are Ms. Wallace (Math), Mr. Scott (Science/Health), Ms. Calpin (English) and Mr. Nicholson (History). My son loves school due to these wonderful teachers and I applaud them.

Posted February 21, 2010

I go 2 palms and it is the best middle school in the world!I love playing my trombone in the school's gold band!the teachers there r funny, nice,caring,and dedicated 2 teach.I've been there since 6th grade and my teachers then were so caring and nice 2 me.The students there r very funny,nice,and caring! I love my school!

Posted February 11, 2010

I am a proud student of Palms Middle School.This school has many great and friendly teachers and staff.Amazing electives for students and great education.This school teaches a student a lot!!

Posted November 4, 2009

My older child went to Palms; my son is there now (both in the magnet). The academic program is very strong, teachers and admins are dedicated, there are nice kids, and the parent group is very active. My daughter is at at a public high school with a very rigorous academic program, and I know that Palms prepared her well. Is it perfect? No. But I've compared notes with other parents on Revere, Webster, and LACES, and I have absolutely no regrets about choosing Palms.

Posted August 30, 2009

well im going to 8th grade and palms is a great school some teachers are very strict and set you straight while others are like your friend and make u feel comfortable and welcome palms has the smartest kids ive met and there all very welcoming ive been there since 6th grade and sixth grade was great teachers welcome u and teach u how to ..be in middle school :)

Posted June 3, 2009

Palms Middle Scool is the best school in the District because most of the 8th grade students scored high in state tests and as a student of Palms I think you should send your child there.

This school's
API score

878

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

447 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

447 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

530 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

562 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

568 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

559 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students77%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)56%
Parent education - college graduate62%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate81%
Parent education - declined to state77%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students26%

Students with no reported disability95%
Fluent-English proficient and English only95%
Gifted and talented95%
Parent education - not a high school graduaten/a
Parent education - high school graduaten/a
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)n/a

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 1674 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents15114%
Students148894%
Employees3531%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options