No rating

Notre Dame High School

Private | 9-12 | 1239 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $561,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,730.

Posted May 3, 2014

We have two young men currently enrolled at Notre Dame, and our experience has been nothing short of fantastic. From the administration to the teachers to the facilities, this school has been great. If possible, we would rate Notre Dame higher than the 5 stars allowed. While no one school is right for everyone, for our boys this one is a great fit.

Posted March 6, 2013

This is a gret school! Whatever parents or students have given this school a negative review are delusional about what high school life is! It's tough being a teen but ND makes it tolerable for any kid. If you had a bad experience here you were probably a bad student or your if you are a parent your child's teacher probably was doing their job which you resented due to your own poor parenting. This school is so much "bang for your buck!" Don't like the tuition? Must have "deep pockets/ one review stated...what a joke! Go look at Buckley or Harvard Westlake (alumni from HW there and ND is not far behind now academically!) . If you want to waste 25 K plus go for the alternative with a dose of snobbery to go. ND rocks! Get real negative reviewers! No school is perfect but my kids teachers care. They do throw out athletes too for discipline issues. That is a totally false idea whoever posted that one!

Posted October 11, 2012

I had doubts about Notre Dame when my son told us it was his first choice in a high school. We wanted him to go to Loyola. Well I was wrong. When my son started Notre Dame he was a bit of a wallflower. Now he has a million friends. What I find amazing is the diversity of his friends. They vary in culture, religion and age. There is no hierarchy at Notre Dame. His friends are freshman thru seniors, plus some are in band, theater, the varsity football captain, a member of student government. He was bullied in his last school, but here it's nowhere to be found. Mrs. Connelly has made a school into a community where everyone is equal. He loves his teachers and really excelling. His choices of colleges is amazing and I know he'll be able to get into all of them. Notre Dame is an outstanding school with much to offer in a caring environment.

Posted August 7, 2012

While no school is perfect, I find that Notre Dame is close. The administration and teachers are competent and approachable. When my daughter was falling behind in math, her teacher called immediately to bring it to our attention allowing us to step in and help her get back up to speed while she still had time. There are clicks, but aren't they everywhere? The students are good kids; the administrators insist upon a nurturing and safe environment for their students. My daughter went in without a single friend. By the end of the year, she had a dozen. I recommend the school if you want your child to have an X-period every other day - all the teachers stay in their classrooms for an open period so your child can get extra instruction from the teacher of their choice and especially if your child has an interest in theater and sports.

Posted November 7, 2011

Kind of a mixed bag. Amazing theatre, art and honors/AP english. Mostly strong programs. Some absolutely amazing teachers, but some totally clueless ones. Expect to pay more than tuition with all the fees and books, plus they constantly hit you up for donations. Lots of cliques, kind of a jock school. Money is important to the student body and also keeps certain kids out of trouble. If you aren't rich or a sports star, it could be hard. Too many outdated rules and too much religion for my taste. I know it is a religious school, but there was too much emphasis on it over over other things. I had trouble with anti-semitism and the deans did nothing, yet I ended up with plenty of detention for uniform violations. Parents are involved in mostly a monetary way, not much volunteering. College counselors are a joke. Told me I could not get into any school I wanted and should apply to CSUN. Happy to say, I didn't listen. This school was helpful in preparing for college. Teachers have office hours and most are helpful. It could work for you depending on what kind of person you are.

Posted September 18, 2011

I attended Notre Dame a few years ago, and had a great 4 years. I would not have attended any other high school. From academics to athletics, Notre Dame ranks among the best. Excellent teachers and administrators really make the school special. I was very prepared for college upon graduation, especially with all the honors and AP classes I took. I've been back a few times, and most of my teachers are still there and still remember me.

Posted September 10, 2011

I attended this school from my freshmen year all the way through senior year. At first I thought it was a good school at first, but as I grew older I noticed it was very fake.It is all about the image.Nobody cares about the students who are under average.I was above average but still noticed how Notre Dame was all a big show.I do not regret going to Notre Dame; nevertheless, I was highly disappointed with the poor heart of the school. The students there are also your typical highschoolers with clicks based on race and money.Oh yes, I also noticed the school never punishes students who give money to the school, even if they have committed or violated school rules.Students are told you can be anything, but they are never told what to do if they get stuck or behind. Some of the teachers really have no idea what they are doing and should not even be teaching. I did have a handful of good teachers, one who did inspire me. I really do not recomment Notre Dame High school if you want a school that is fair and honest. Everytime someone asks me what school did you go to? I say "Notre Dame". They say " Wow that's a great school!" Well because they promote themselves top of the line.It's not.

Posted June 7, 2011

The quality of Notre Dame's education is based upon the strong and caring administration, the amazing and gifted teachers and support staff and, most importantly, the daily implementation of their philosophy of "training hearts and minds." As a parent of a junior at Notre Dame, I feel the school has more than accomplished what it promised when my child first applied. My child has been academically challenged, supported, encouraged and mentored at Notre Dame. She is part of a caring, hard working and scholarly community that balances academics with community service, drama, art and music with sports, inward reflection with outward action. We love Notre Dame and are proud to be members of this wonderful family.

Posted April 1, 2011

this school is amazing, the teachers, the people, and the curriculum, and most of all the general atmosphere, ii love notre dame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted March 26, 2010

My daughter attended Notre Dame for all four years. She came out of up state N.Y. public schools. She was a little lost socially at first since most kids had come from other catholic schools but she excelled. She is now a freshman at Berkeley and Notre Dame prepared her for the rigors of this highly competitive college. Just as important, she made friends she will have for life. Unlike Buckley and most of the private schools, the kids make friends with those they like, not on the basis of who has what in terms of money. My daughter is not a catholic but was never hassled about it . I think it's one of the best educational experiences for the money in L.A. Lovely campus as well

Posted October 13, 2009

This school is excellent. We had twins attend ND and now they are in college. The education they received at ND well prepared them for college and they are doing well. Notre Dame has an excellent program and they strive in having every student go to college.

Posted April 3, 2009

My daughter is a Freshman at ND, she loves it.....She has attended private elementary school and public middle school and I can unequivocally say that the Faculty and Administration are far above any school we have seen so far... Academically, ND is rigorous and what we were looking for, not to mention the awesome experiences and friends my daughter has made playing soccer for the school This is the high school experience we were looking for! Go Knights!

Posted March 1, 2009

A wonderful school made better by caring and involved faculty. Sports and athletes are given special treatment, but this is more about the administration than the kids themselves. Wonderful, grounded kids who are taught to and do appreciate the different talents of their peers. Amazing band and theatre. Debaters won the Berkley Tourney this year. Not a perfect school (which one is?), but a great value and a place with good people hard at work.

Posted September 17, 2008

I now have two children attending Notre Dame. We had choices, we considered our options and we are happy and proud to be a Notre Dame family. Not only is the school outstanding academically and spiritually, the sports program and band contribute to the overall high school experience that contributes to the success of future well-rounded adults.

Posted August 11, 2008

ND is full of people committed to educating the kids along with the parents. Parents who have negative comments about the school are usually lacking in their own reponsibilities as well. ND isn't perfect, but it's pretty close.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 23, 2007

Notre Dame gets a lot of credit for its outstanding boys/girls athletic programs, with much media attention given to its football program. However, the academics are even stronger then the football program. With about 300 students in each graduating class, Notre Dame has the ability to provide programs beyond football and cheerleading, to capture the interest of each student and plenty of quality teachers to tailor education to the needs of each individual student. The academic standards are challenging for every level of student,and ND graduates attend the most prestigous of colleges every year. I may be most pleased with the administration's involvement. The principal, Mrs. Connelly, seems to be at every extraciricular activity and is always easily accessable for parents, teachers and students. Her leadership is invaluable.

Posted September 1, 2007

School is a bit too social for my taste. The academics are fine, but the main focus of the school is the sports program. The school will make academic exceptions as long as you have deep pockets. As long as you have the means, you child will do fine.

Posted June 5, 2007

While Notre Dame became much more fashionable in the decades between when I attended and my child attended, largely due to the school's brilliant football coach Kevin Rooney, the reality has lagged behind the image. Academically, the school isn't as strong as many of its high-end competitors. It reports an average SAT score among seniors of 1085, compared to 1177 at Campbell Hall, 1230 at Loyola and Buckley, 1330 at Flintridge Prep, and 1385 at Harvard-Westlake. It's not a bad school, but its tremendous football success appears to have infected the administration with a bad case of attitude, with a surly smugness running from the principal to the parking lot attendants. Ironically, the main exception is the man who makes it all possible, Coach Rooney, who is the soul of graciousness. With the opening of its $5 million new science building, the school has the opportunity to recruit better teachers and students.

Posted May 15, 2007

Structured and disciplined. Learn all you need to know to enter today's colleges.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 8, 2007

Great school! Both of my children are recent graduates and loved their Notre Dame high school experiences. The school offers something for everyone. The academics are superior and the extra curricular activities are exceptional. The faculty and staff are extremely dedicated to the students and the school. It not only prepares the students for college, it prepares them for life. The campus is absolutely beautiful in a wonderful neighborhood. There is a true sense of family at Notre Dame High School. We are proud to be a part of the Notre Dame Community and tradition.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. Brett Lowart
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13645 Riverside Drive