No rating

St. James Episcopal School

Private | PK-6 | 351 students

We are best known for our exceptional academic program.

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $355,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted February 19, 2010

Our child started at St James this year and we are very happy. Kristin Haines, who heads the the earlier grades, is absolutely wonderful. She understands the children and education and is always available and eager to make positive changes. I totally disagree with some reviewers who say that the school is moving is a developmental/progressive direction. It remains academic and traditional whilst offering the children a lot of emotional support and care. We have been very very happy and would recommend it highly. I should add that of all the schools -private and public-that I have seen it is by far the most diverse (ethnically, socio economically, and in every other way). It truly reflects a cross section of the surrounding community.

Posted February 4, 2010

Our family has been at St James' for four years. The teachers are what keep us at the school. They care so much about each indivdual student. They always have time for parents and want each child to succeed. Admin could learn a lot from the teachers on how to communicate with parents.

Posted January 3, 2010

We have been at St. James for 4 years, and I am saddened to say, are disappointed in the direction the school is going -- academically. With the new head of lower school steering the charge to a more developmental direction, the school is slowly declining. The teachers are wonderful, the leadership is terrible.

Posted December 21, 2009

My daughter has attended St James' School since Kindergarten and will graduate in 2010. I am very pleased to say that this school is exactly what I expected. It is a loving small environment that is challenging and very academic. As a single mother I have taken full advantage of the FREE after school care and my daughter has taken part in quite of few of the after school classes (additional fee). We have met many loving families. As we all know nothing is perfect but 9 out of 10 times I have been very happy. My child has always felt welcome to meet with any and all the staff members (including the Head of School). Whether she is having a problem with a classmate or writing a letter to the president voicing her concerns, the teachers are there to help.

Posted December 9, 2009

I am a current parent. St. James is a wonderful school and my child is happy, thriving, and learning a lot. This school develops the whole child (academic, emotional, spiritual). I love the traditional education and how the teachers still incorporate centers. The teachers are first rate! I feel that I'm a part of a wonderful community. The children are diverse in many aspects and so is the faculty/staff. The tuition is reasonable and there is no fee for after school care! If you are looking for a more traditional education in a Christian atmosphere, St. James is your school.

Posted December 3, 2009

This is a lovely school. My son is very happy here as are we with the community. We are pleased with the efforts the school makes to constantly improve. There's been a specific effort underway to improve fundraising and communications. My son is thriving and we are pleased by how the school addresses the whole child in a nurturing yet academically environment. Please don't be swayed by the earlier negative reviews.

Posted November 16, 2009

I have two children at St James', and we absolutely love the school. It's academically excellent, and on top of that it lives out its commitment to diversity... more so than any other school of its kind I've seen. The School is a genuine community. It's not easy to always practice the values you preach when faced with the political complexities and parental pressures of running an highly in-demand urban school, but St. James' puts its values front and foremost, and lives by them, all the while maintaining the highest academic standards... which is a terrific example for the children lucky enough to go there. It's worth noting that other schools now study St. James' as an example of successful forward-looking values-based education. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Posted November 12, 2009

My son has been at Saint James for 3 years. I find the staff warm and welcoming. The door has always been open for me to come and discuss any subject, concern or idea I have had. The New science Lab is the best lab by far in Los Angeles for Elementary school and the science teacher suberb. We have dedicated and innovative teachers that have years of experience. We have won math competitions and exhibit art through out the city. The children are taught the importance of serving those in our community and becoming a confident , well educated and well rounded human being. While no school is perfect, I believe this school has been given a bad rap and I invite prospective parents to come and visit us themselves.

Posted November 12, 2009

This is a terrific neighbourhood school, it is rich in diversity, and although there have been some hiccups within, so have all schools, even the ones that are double the price! The academics are terrific and the kids are kind well mannered and polite. If you are living in Hancock park and want a school with strong academics but a sweet simplicity, this could be the place for you.

Posted November 5, 2009

We love St James'. It's academically rigorous, warm, welcoming, and the Head of School and staff are excellent. Our child is very happy, loving each day, and achieving great results. I'm not sure what school the detractors below are describing, but it doesn't sound even a little like the one we know. To each their own. We have found both the school administration and the Board extremely responsive, and could not be happier.

Posted September 11, 2009

St. James' is a wonderful school. It's teaching staff clearly loves our children and the administration supports them in so many ways. The curriculum seems to be evolving with the times. The administration is clearly leading experienced teachers in the right direction. Three cheers for them. I highly recommend this community of caring professionals. Our child has been very happy.

Posted May 9, 2009

Even with the tuition doubling in the past five years, St. James' School is an incredible value. How can you put a monetary value on excellence? In a word you can't. Many of the parents complain that the school administration is bloated and unresponsive to the faculty and parent concerns. Nothing could be further from the truth. Any time I have had a concern about my son's education, I get a return phone call or email within minutes. And in many cases even a hug! The administration at St. James' are master communicators in every possible way. Unfortunately, I have had many disagreements with the teaching staff, but under the stellar guidance of the administration, I'm sure these teacher shortcomings will be resolved in time. I cannot recommend St. James' more highly. It's a place of wonder and imagination!

Posted April 6, 2009

I have sent all three of my children to St. James School. It truly is a magical place. The teachers are good, but it's the leadership at St. James that is what makes this school so special. The administration puts communication with parents and faculty above all else. They return calls and email within minutes and always provide answers and solutions to problems immediately. When I have had problems with individual teachers, the administration was always there to brilliantly smooth things out. Other schools should use St. James' as a model for effective school administration.

Posted February 12, 2009

I loved having my daughter at this school. We had only one teacher (no longer at the school) who was probably a good fit for some kids, but was a bad fit for our daughter, but I would expect one or two years like that at any school. My daughter graduated from St. James last year and we moved out of the area, so I'm now comparing St. James to the local schools, and I can see that my daughter has many educational advantages that other kids here don't have. I appreciate all the more, the fact that every teacher at St. James responded promptly any time I had a question. I appreciate now the fact that any time I needed to meet directly with a teacher, he or she would make the time to see me. The specialty teachers were particularly impressive.

Posted December 5, 2008

I am one of the parents that took part in the fund-raising campaign this year, making calls parent-to-parent. I found this to be largely a positive experience and preferable to more traditional methods. Yes, some parents found this a little uncomfortable at first, so did I. But all in all it gave us a chance to talk about the school, why it is so special, and how important it is to keep it that way. Fund-raising plays an ever-increasing role at the school, given that the school essentially subsidizes tuition to maintain the economic diversity it is known for. That was the message put out by parent callers, and parents who understood the message stepped up as best they could, even in these difficult times.

Posted November 20, 2008

In my experience, it seems that fund raising has become quite aggressive over the past few years. I have received several phone calls and letters soliciting donations. The new lady has asked parents to call other parents in her quest to raise funds and add to the new endowment, which I completely disagree with. I will not be giving to the annual fund this year because I refuse to encourage this type of behavior!

Posted November 20, 2008

For the live of me, I cannot figure out where all these negative comments about the administration are coming from. The headmaster Stephen Bowers is nothing short of a truly visionary. His leadership is unquestioned among the parents and teachers at the school. The assistant head Angelina Arrington has to be the most dynamic leader and speaker I have ever worked with, often moving me to tears during her frequent chapel addresses. My family and I are truly blessed to be under the guidance of such people who embrace humanity and Christian values and lead by example. I would give this school 10 stars if I could!

Posted November 19, 2008

This school is amazing. I am so thankful that I chose this school for my son. I had applied to five schools for Kindergarten and was accepted to all of them. I chose this school for it's diversity and academic structure. I had been accepted to a 12 year school and chose St. James. My son is thriving. He is thrilled with his reading, math, computer, and spanish classes. He is involved in after school activities. He is involved in sports outside of school, but there are plenty of options for the elementary aged children within the school as well. Most importantly, my son is well beyond his peers that attend other schools in spelling and reading and math. He loves school and he is a typical 'boy'. The school is extremely diverse in religion, lifestyle and ethnicity. This is the right choice for my family

Posted November 17, 2008

I also agree on the high price of tuition. It is true that we as parents, keep on getting solicited for donations for the school. I have asked the administration on where our money is being used for. The response that I get is that they are 'improving the school.' As far as I can see, no improvements have been made, at least for the classes that my child is in. I have emailed and called/left messages for a request to see their public financial disclosure statement as a non-profit organization, and they do not respond. Next year, public school for my child.

Posted November 12, 2008

I had one of my children at this school last year. At first, the employees at the school were very friendly when I was inquiring about the school and during the enrollment process. After my child started attending classes, I had several concerns that I wanted to address to the staff. It took so long for them to finally listen to my concerns. It took a long time because they said that I had to make an appointment to speak to a certain person and the appointments were cancelled several times because of 'staff meetings' that would mysteriously come up at the last moment. Even after the meeting, I felt that they did not care about what I said. My child is no longer at St. James.

Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander N/A 1%
Two or more races N/A 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Cooking club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Deborah David
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Religious
  • Science
  • Service learning
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Boy scouts
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Girl scouts
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Sewing/knitting club
  • Student Leadership Council
  • Technology club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom

$14000 - $20000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Marlborough