No rating

Los Gatos Christian School

Private | PK-8 | 360 students

Our school is best known for our Christ-centered, nurturing environment.

Living in Los Gatos

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $875,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,740.

Posted June 6, 2014

Academics is not good anymore. Still lags behind on applying maths, science and technology. Some of the teachers are exceptional and some just need to leave. School days are a lot lesser than other schools. IMO, new principal tried, but I'm not sure about the board. I am ready to take both of my children out next year. They don't seem to listen to the feedback given by the parents. There is a huge gap in children performance. If academics are lagging behind, nothing else matter. Not recommended.

Posted December 14, 2013

LGCS has gone down the drain in the last few years. Teachers are overworked. Teacher's aides were fired. At least 3 principals in the last 3-4 years. They have switched syllabus without asking parent's permission. English grammar is poor here.No music,no second language. Money is being conserved and students are bearing the brunt. Why go to a private school if your child is not getting anything out of it. Church missions are being handed down to the school and kids come home with donation slips. No way am I donating to charities that I do not know of. In this day and age, I cannot believe they are trying to do this. They run a world fair to get donations for their sports equipment ! I am surprised why student tuition does not cover for that. If they can pass missions off to school students. Raise money from the church for sports equipment. There is no christian attitude here,a lot of bullying in this school which administration tries to sweep under the rug. If your child has a concept that they are not grasping,no help is offered. Have u noticed,for every bad review,someone posts a 5 star review(real suspicious. Not a school that develops character .

Posted November 22, 2013

LGCS is a wonderful school. The teachers are dedicated and loving and there is a nice community of families here. This school is high in academics and offers wonderful extras like technology, art, and music. My daughter attended here from Jr. K-8 grade and was well prepared for high school. This school not only prepared her academically, but helped build Christian character as well. My son is in middle school and really enjoys the sports program they offer. If you are looking for smaller class sizes, caring teachers, and a Christian environment, LGCS is the place for you!

Posted November 19, 2013

If there was an option of not rating this school a "star" but rather a No-Star rating, this would be the prime example. Simply put, horrible administration, plain and simple. First and foremost the manipulation of how your money is spent here is ridiculous, it cost x-amount of dollars to attend here, fine... but ALL the other charges you have to pay, i.e. at the end of the year if YOU as the parent aren't able to assist/volunteer x-amountof hours to the school you are fined $250?!?! Ridiculous and absurd, shouldn't the staff take care of that? All the additional fees and etc that go along are absolutely ludicrous. A list of 30 +items that you MUST be purchase before the school year begins is another red flag to those who are considering coming here. Question: shouldn't the school provide pencils, paper, erasers, heck even binders for their students? You make enough money from all your "donations", where is that money going? Forcing children to believe there is no such thing as evolution or true science is another hard pill to swallow. Brain washing at it's best! This place is a joke.

Posted November 18, 2013

Los Gatos Christian School is one of the best kept secrets in the San Jose area! Academics taught from a Biblical world view, technology integrated with the learning and teaching, and a competive athletic program are just a couple of reasons to consider Los Gatos Christian for your family. My middle school student is thriving in all of her classes, is enjoying the different teaching styles for all of her courses, and is participating in the after school athletics. Thank you for all that you do!

Posted November 9, 2013

My daughter attended LGCS from Jr K through the beginning of 6th grade. We were very happy with the school during the first few years however there was a change in administration 3 years ago and since then the school has really declined. The staff is very good at preaching to the children about what it means to be a true Christian however some of the staff are very hypocritical and do not uphold those characteristics or hold the students accountable to those values. There is a lot of bullying in the middle school. I had approached the administration on numerous occasions regarding my concerns however I was encouraged to speak to the other parents directly instead of the administration getting involved.The bullying continued and actually increased to the point that my daughter was being threatened. I never received a response until I mentioned Seth s Law. At that point they became very defensive. Subsequently, I have pulled her out of the school. They clearly find themselves exempt from following Core Curriculum/ State Standards (as they are far behind academically), as well as, providing a safe and positive social environment for the students.

Posted October 22, 2013

Dangerous environment for children. School does not prevent, address or discourage bullying. In some instances, school personnel were the bullies. Children who are different albeit due to religion, learning style, outward appearance or family composition are exposed to treatment detrimental to a child's healthy growth. School personnel is not regulated by state agencies.

Posted September 22, 2013

I was a student at LGCS. I started there in first grade and left in fifth grade. Thoes were the best five years of my life. I had to change schools because i was going into middle school and I live wright next to it but I wish I could have stated! All of the teachers were so nice, caring, helpful, and most of all true Christians! I still remember all of my teachers that I had and I even remember some story's they told us. Also my parents bothed worked so I had to stay after school at ESS everyday! I loved it soooooo much I would aloways finished my home work and then get to play and hang out on fort glory with my friends! LGCS changed my life! I am now in high school but everyday I still wish I could go back and go to LGCS again! All the friends I made there I will have friendships with forever we still hang out even to this day! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING LGCS!!!

Posted August 11, 2013

A wonderful Christ-centered school that's very well-rounded with nurturing staff & teachers. We are thrilled to have our children be a part of this school.

Posted June 17, 2013

We moved into the area, and had been in contact with LGCS prior to us arriving. Both of our children are gifted, but have some difficulties: one has ADD, the other Aspergers Syndrome. LGCS was made aware of this ahead of time, and reassured us that they were in a position to accommodate our children's needs. We arrived and set up the admissions testing, and our son (who has ADD and struggles with his handwriting) finished all of the test except for a single handwriting portion. He asked for help, and offered to complete it orally, but was denied. The school, without further discussions, refused him entry. If your children have any special needs, be warned that they will most likely not be accommodated, despite the school's assurances.

Posted January 31, 2012

My child started off at Holy Spirit School but switched to LGCS in 3rd grade. We are so happy and blessed we did! The teachers are WONDERFUL! They actually practice what they preach! One of the biggest changes this year is that we got a new principal who has great plans for our school such as achieving Blue Ribbon status like he did for his previous Christian school and integrating technology in the classrooms. We got 35 new iMacs for the computer lab and 90 iPads that are used in different classes. 5 years later, my child is not only being challenged academically but all the teachers and staff invest time, compassion and genuine care in all the children's social and spiritual development! Since this is a Christian school, children are taught through this perspective. All viewpoints are discussed, however. The campus is serene and huge so kids can run and play! The classrooms were completely remodeled and the hallways got a fresh, vibrant look. We are so excited about the future and are so glad to be part of this beautiful, caring, and challenging school!

Posted January 8, 2012

Happy New Year! What's your why? Are you looking for something "BETTER" for your child? Perhaps A Positive change? Maybe your family has the desire for "MORE"? (Besides the Class size and Homework that is) Well, may I personally welcome you to come Tour LGCS on ANY Tuesday to discover what our family, along with many others, have found. An amazing "Child-Centric" school, with beyond excellent Teachers, who genuinely care about and love your Child through "Love and Logic", guided by spiritual faith, coupled with teachable moments, encouraging children to make better choices, while understanding those decisions made. The details are many, so as not to innudate you here, come visit LGCS and find your own..."WHY!"

Posted October 28, 2011

Update: They have just changed the math curriculum back to the old one (i.e. one grade level ahead of the CA standard). However, they're still reviewing the math curriculum so we don't know what will happen next year.

Posted October 3, 2011

I'm a current LGCS parent who is actually encouraged by the changes happening at the school, as I see the changes moving the school onto a stronger academic foundation, not a weaker one. I was a gifted child who both skipped a grade, and participated in supplemental gifted programs on top of that. I succeeded early on, but flamed out in high school, because my knowledge in individual subjects was strong, but my abilities to integrate my knowledge, to reason, and to articulate what I knew, were weak. Now with several kids testing at "gifted" levels (and I try to hold subjective test scores at arms length), my kids are getting the well-rounded education I needed, but didn't get. They are being academically challenged, not just in core subjects, but through the amazing art program and new innovative computer classes. They are being socially enriched, by learning with peers across a spectrum of abilities and backgrounds. And they are being spiritually nurtured as they are taught a Biblical worldview by teachers who truly love God and want their students to love Him too. If you care about worldview and learning environment, as much as academics, you can't do better than LGCS

Posted September 9, 2011

There has been a lot of changes this year since there is a new principal. The academic standard has been lowered (maybe about the same as the average public schools or maybe even worse than the good public schools now). The math curriculum used to one grade level ahead of the standard, but now it's at the same standard of the public schools. Why can't a Christian school be also strong in academic? We used to love this school but not any more.

Posted August 10, 2011

My oldest daughter started going here in 5th grade, and she is now entering 8th, her final year. This also happens to be my alma mater, which should explain why I chose this for her middle school years. I had a wonderful experience here myself, lets just say, several years ago. There have been changes and upgrades, but the basis of this school's moral, spiritual, and academic focus hasn't changed. The teachers really care about their students. There is a family feel and a welcome, warm environment, even for the new kids and those who aren't of the Christian faith. Teachers and staff are very approachable, and I've relied on the relationships I've had these past few years. We have especially loved the sports program for girls which is extremely competitive and teambuilding. You would be hard pressed to find a better athletic program at a comparable school. My daughter has been encouraged to work hard and go beyond the norm, and she continues to grow and learn here. I'm excited to see how she will bring what she's learned to her new high school next year.

Posted August 3, 2011

We decided to pull our child out of LGCS for many reasons. We were VERY unhappy with the math program, which just pushes kids along even if they don't understand the concepts. We found many of the kids were mean spirited and unwelcoming, certainly not Christian focused. The administration was unresponsive and seemed to not care. As a new family, there was NO community and no way to meet other families. At the end of the year, we realized we were paying for a school that none of us felt connected to.

Posted August 1, 2011

Finding a new school was our greatest concern when we moved to CA a few years ago. Not a day has gone by, since our kids started at LGCS, that we are not grateful for finding this gem so close to home. We love the strong academics, wise teachers and administration, excellent electives and computer courses, many after-school sports opportunities, and most importantly nurturing our children in the truth according to the Bible as God's infallible truth. They are not just teaching our kids various subjects, they truly are our partners in raising well rounded, intelligent, kind, responsible individuals who are strong in character.

Posted August 1, 2011

I am a teacher and a parent at LGCS. For the 8 years we have been here, we have endured a great learning and caring experience. Teachers are encouraging, children are respectful, and it a wonderful education that everyone receives. The campus is beautiful. I am excited about some new improvements in the looks of the classrooms and starting this new school year with a new principal, who truly cares about our children's education.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 28, 2011

We have had our children at LGCS since my oldest started kindergarten 9 years ago. Our experience at the school has been amazing and we feel so blessed to be part of such a wonderful, nurturing, school environment. The teachers and staff care for the students deeply and really work with parents to help their children be successful. We could not have asked for a better school for our children and only wish that it continued through high school!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 17% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Arabic languages
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Health & athletics

• Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Phillip E. Lewis
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Project-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gifted specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
Students typically come from these schools
Shepherd of the Valley Preschool
St. Timothy's Lutheran School

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2014-2015 school year
$5000 - $11000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Valley Christian High School