Mission Hills, CA

Posted September 23, 2013
Both of my daughter attended this elementary school from Pre-K to 5/6. Being a public elementary school, my daughter really enjoyed attending the school, loved their teachers, - who are really caring and help my daughters achieve their best. Most of the staff and teacher are very friendly and care for the student at San Jose Street School and are committed to maximizing individual student performance, inspiring students interest and instilling a sense of self-worth among all students. As a parent one of the most important components to your child's education is being involved and building a relationship with your child's teacher, be it volunteering in the classroom, doing things from home or just donating items to the classroom. We as parents must work along side the teachers to make sure our kids are staying on track and working with them when they need that extra support.

Posted August 16, 2013
Reading other postings regarding bullying was very upsetting that this school allowed this type of behavior to occur on school campus! The Principal, teachers and yard duty staff all need to take a seminar class/meeting on bullying. This behavior is not acceptable nor should it be tolerated without facing some serious consequences.

Posted June 10, 2013
This school is big disappointment to me and my son. This school did not help him when he was bullied over months in schoolyard. He was called bad names and was told he was weird and stupid by kids that have no right saying this. My child felt very bad about himself and is not trusting toward others because others were not responded to his complaints. He felt that the teachers did not care about him or hear him. It is very sad to see my child hating school and he is good studnt.

Posted June 08, 2013
We are in regular school and are extremely disappointed and very upset. Some of the teacher are good, but we experience a lot of bullying and nasty talk. Some of the playground personal should not be working with kid since they have no skills at handling kids and the problems coming along with them. My child is so happy the school year is over.

Posted May 20, 2013
My son has been in the San Jose Highly Gifted Magnet program now for 3 years. The program is a great place for kids that have the gift or ability to excel. They can be themselves and not be labeled and really get the education they deserve. We were told up front how things work in terms of the special programs and that parents are asked to donate to fund them. Yes, not all parents can afford it, and for those who can, they do give a more. You couldn't buy this kind of education at a private school. My son hangs out on the playground after school for about 3 hours daily and has gotten along with all the kids especially the regular "home school" kids, I have not had an issue in 3 years. We are grateful for the Highly Gifted Program because the teachers really care and provide a wonderful learning experience and environment. Just as important is the other staff members from the principal to the cafeteria folks, the ladies in the front office to the Beyond the Bell coordinators. I as a parent would encourage anybody to visit the school and talk to the kids like my wife and I did originally and you will see wonderful, well balanced kids flourishing in a wonderful environment.

Posted May 16, 2013
I have children in both the Highly Gifted Magnet and in the regular school. Before we visited, my daughter (just finishing 2nd grade) very firmly told me she was *not* changing schools. On the way home from our tour she told me she'd changed her mind and she would like to go to San Jose HGM. That's how amazing the Magnet program is. (I was also blown away by the kids, teachers, and program at this school.) This year my son started Kinder. We enrolled him in the regular school. I have nothing but good to say about his amazing teacher as well. Other parents have said the campus is grubby. It isn't. It is a typical LAUSD school. In fact, it is cleaner and nicer than both our home school and the school where I teach. It is in a nice little residential neighborhood. Other parents have said the board decides on the extras. That's not true either. The teachers decide what they want, and the Booster Club just figures out how to pay for it. The HGM teachers are *amazing* and go above and beyond for these kids. They are always willing to talk or e-mail. After 2 years in the magnet, I am crossing my fingers that my son is HG because we aren't ready to leave. The school is great!

Posted May 16, 2013
My child has been very happy at San Jose Highly Gifted Magnet these past two years. When she first tested HG I looked at a bunch of Gifted schools. Most of them made me feel like my child was smart so she could do more work. Then we visited San Jose HGM and it felt like "Your child is smart, so we can do all this other great stuff." They go on a bunch of wonderful field trips: to an adobe, to the Skirball, to JPL, to a nature hike, to City Hall, etc. They have done forensic science and studied DaVinci. They have sung with the LA Opera and put on Shakespeare plays (where the kids designed their own costumes). They have book clubs in class where the kids can discuss novels of their choice. They do Lego Robotics. They even do yoga to help with stress during state testing! So, yeah, the Booster Club does ask for money to help pay for those things, but it is less than some other schools ask, and it is totally worth it. The Booster Club even managed to replace old lap tops and buy ipads this year. My daughter is now more tech savvy than I am. Plus, the teachers are all specially trained to deal with the needs of these kids, and they all work together. SJHGM is a gem of a school.

San Jose Street Elementary School 3

Posted May 26, 2012
I have had three kids go through this school, one is still there. There are some really terrific teachers and my oldest daughter was blessed to have many of them as teachers. The Pre-K program is top notch! However, my second child had some bad experiences and the school kept a teacher around who was simply there collecting a paycheck and not teaching. Since Mrs. Shambra left the school has declined. I was not a big fan of hers, but she sure cared about the school and loved the kids. She knew every student by name and greeted parents and students at the gate every morning and afternoon. The current principal is cold and uninvolved. The neighborhood is declining and there have been MANY lockdowns this school year. If my child was not so emotionally involved and happy at the school we would go elsewhere. But luckily we only have a little bit left. This school use to be fantastic, lets see if it can rally! I do agree that the school caters to Spanish speaking families and we are Spanish.

San Jose Street Elementary School 2

Posted March 06, 2012
My daughter attended this school for a little over 2 years. The first year and a half I was happy with my daughters education. She has a learning disability and struggles to keep up. her 3rd grade teacher worked really hard with her. Unfortunately, this school does have a bullying problem and the yard duty staff tend to look the other way. I pulled my daughter out the school half way through the 5th grade because my daughter was being bullied daily and when her teacher made fun of her in class, I was fed up. Its bad enough for kids to be bullied by other kids, but when the teachers starts bullying too. its wrong.

San Jose Street Elementary School 3

Posted June 27, 2011
We are in the highly gifted magnet and have found a clearer picture of the varying opinions. The 5th grade class was extremely large, 31-33 students. Several with behavior problems. That is too many students for one teacher to handle, and affected more than half the students negatively. These parents are rightly unhappy. We, in the 4th anf 2/3rd grades have been lucky with class sizes around 20-22 all year. A difference of 10-11 kids (some with behavior issues) can make the world of difference to any class. The Grade 2/3/4 parents seem happy, the 5th grade parents-not. Caution to incoming parents: it will depend upon enrollment and the make-up of students to really determine the quality of the experience. All other comments about being pressured to donate are true. Small grungy school is also true. Unless parent pays extra, there would not be some of the extras. I also would prefer my students spend much more time in class with teacher, not taking neuroscience, drums and other things not very fun. Ms Garcia's 4th grade play the last week of school was AWESOM--we need much more of that! We pray the enrollment for next year stays small so our kids can keep enjoying it.

San Jose Street Elementary School
14928 Clymer Street, Mission Hills, CA  91345
Last modified San Jose Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Jose Street Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top