Posted February 29, 2012
My child attends this school and I am finding myself considering a move. They have a bully problem and they do not really do much about the problem. Also some of the staff treat parents as if they are more of a problem. They are very disrespectfull in some manners. Not all, some of them are great but the Admin needs some work.

Posted September 06, 2011
My older two daughters went to here and it was great. The current administration and yard duty are completely useless. This school has a real problem with bullies and they do nothing about it. Their rememdy is to have the victim hold the bullies hand, apologize and then promise to be friends. They just cannot deal with this type of issue. It is a real shame it used to be a great school

Posted May 02, 2010
I love this school. The teachers are constantly informing you of your child progress throughout the year.

Bernard L. Hughes Elementary School 5

Posted May 21, 2009
Hughes is a school where the students just arent a body in the class. Our teachers care about our students on a personall level and give above and beyond of what is required of them. I couldnt ask for a better educational experience for my children.

Posted August 11, 2008
There are some really outstanding and dedicated teachers at Hughes, but the school suffers from poor leadership. Playground and outside supervision is marginal at best. The teachers are at odds with the administration. The Empire School District is one of the worst in Stanilaus County and Hughes in one of the reasons.

Posted April 24, 2008
My kids have been attending Bernard Hughes for the last 5 years and we know have 3 of our kids enrolled there. The Principal, including the prior Principal Mr. McDaniels to our current Principal Mrs. Reberg have been wonderful. They truly care about our children and they have a passion for education. Every teacher my children have had has taken a real interest in their success and has given us constant feedback. I couldn t be happier with the administration, staff, and students. Oscar

Bernard L. Hughes Elementary School 4

Posted March 31, 2007
I have been extrememly pleased with Hughes. The principal, teachers, and staff are wonderful, and very caring. Education and Character are big at this school, and it shows with my son. My son has continued to thrive here at hughes, and I am grateful to the folks at hughes who have gone the extra mile for my son.

Posted March 27, 2007
It is unfortunate because we had been very satisfied with our daughter's previous three years at Hughes. Her instructors did not seem very engaged and her students attitudes reflected this. The students were distracted and disinterested and we, as parents, had no good feedback from her to help our daughter. Our daughter's education took a back seat.

Bernard L. Hughes Elementary School 4

Posted January 12, 2006
My son has attended first and now second grade @ Hughes. Other then the fact that he had more then a dozen substitutes in first grade, he is really struggling in reading, and may have to repeat second grade. I dont blame the teacher I think Empire union school district should revamp their HR department. My experience has been ok my son has a hard time and hopefully we will over come it.

Bernard L. Hughes Elementary School 5

Posted April 28, 2005
I have two daughters ages 8 and 10. My 8 year old started kindergarten at Huges my 10 year old started in 3rd grade. My 10 year old had a very dificult time in math. The teachers here took her under their wing and now in the 5th grade she has an A. She no longer cries or struggles. This school has incouraged my children to be a part of school politics and has helped build my girls self esteem. They have enforced our family moral views and have treated our family with a great deal of respect. Each and every time I have had a concern the staff has responded quikly. I feel like they truely care about my children. It's not just a job

512 North Mcclure Road, Modesto, CA  95357
Last modified Bernard L. Hughes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bernard L. Hughes Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top