Monrovia, CA

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 05, 2015
My son is in the dual language program and has received a lot of extra support from his teacher in order to get him up to standard with his reading and writing. She also worked hard to tailor the teaching style to his needs - he's an highly energetic boy who can't sit still for long amounts of time. The teachers in this program really care about their students and are very supportive. The principal is great and also cares deeply about all aspects of learning. I would agree with the review that said the Village program leader was not the kind of person who should be working with children. We withdrew our child from the Village program for this reason and now pay triple the price for after school care but it's worth every penny for the reduction in stress. PTA is very active which is great.

Posted March 30, 2015
The dual language immersion program is great. My daughter is learning in a great class room environment. The school has or will be adding Chinese as well from what I hear. Not sure why it's only received 3 out of 10 but don't let disgruntled parents influence your decision.

Monroe Elementary School 1

Posted February 25, 2015
have been unsatisfied since my kids started kindergarten. They are now in second grade and we are planning to move out of Monrovia just to be in a better school district. The village program is a joke! The woman that oversees it is just someone that needs to retire already...she just had a bad attitude. The principal can't sit still during an evaluation for a student, and the teachers all look they hate their jobs. There is absolutely no communication, so it's hard for parents to follow the chaos of such an organization. I would warn anyone looking to move to Monrovia that has children before enrolling their kids into such a non caring, unorganized school.

Posted September 27, 2013
Seeing other comments make people think. I was a student at this school and now my children are currently attending, if parents would speak to teachers, PTA moms, and get more involve, they wouldn't have a problem...Now as for the teachers that my children have had, they have always been really helpful and tried helping my kids out with their difficulties. The office staff are also very helpful and they have programs for those in need who cannot afford to purchase uniforms etc. they take your child and supply them. I have nothing to complain about since everyone at this school helps the children one way or another.

Posted July 15, 2013
My child attended this school for four years. Like all schools we have good and bad teachers. But the principal truly cares for the students and the staff are great. PTA is awesome. What is lacking is parent involvement! We need more to get involved!

Posted July 31, 2012
Monroe is a school that shines! The principal is always present, approachable and has a depth of caring a parent would hope to find in an elementary school. With her leadership, the schoolhas an outstanding Dual-immersion program that has dedicated teachers. The PTA produces fun and engaging activites for the kids( based on little help from parents). So sad I had to move and lose out on such a great school!

Posted June 08, 2011
Monroe Elementary is a school that has seen lots of improvement over the years. Now a Title 1 achieving as well as a California Distinguished School. The teachers and staff truly give their best for the students. They have a unicycle team and now they offer a Dual Language immersion program. The spirit of community and cooperation is amazing. We have been very happy with the academic progress shown by our kids in these 4 years.

Posted October 20, 2010
Monroe schools is moving forward in unbelievable ways. Grade level teaming is addressing individual student's needs like no other school in Monrovia. Teacher designed programs are focusing on individual needs in creative academic groupings. I have seen students meet with success, both my own and their peers. Hats off to this experienced staff! Welcoming staff and friendly parents are making a really big difference in students lives. I'm proud to be part of Monroe successes!!

Posted May 21, 2009
Monroe is typical of most schools. There are very dedicated teachers and there are those who are less so. The administration is working on making the learning experience for children less dependent on the particular teacher each student is assigned to on the first day of school, but this is a work in progress. Our three children received excellent educations because we actively involved ourselves in their school. When parents, teachers, and children all work together and are all accountable, great things happen. Go Lions!

Monroe Elementary School 2

Posted May 21, 2008
Monroe has under gone a few changes in the last 2 years. I have 2 kids at Monroe, and compared to friends at other schools in the district, ours lacks many things. Our parent group is exclusive, the teachers dont seem to want parents to volunteer in the classroom. The principal is not very welcoming. This school does not take as many field trips or have as many classroom parties as the other schools. I think they have lower scores than the other schools and they do not honor requests to have teachers based on need. Very few extra curricular activites and assemblies. The other schools seem very visible.

402 West Colorado Boulevard, Monrovia, CA  91016
Last modified Monroe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monroe Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top