No rating

St. Thomas Aquinas School

Private | K-8

Living in Monterey Park

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $409,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,370.

Sweep tile

Posted October 30, 2013

Not sure about the previous negative review. They probably weren't involved. Proud parent of my child. 3rd year in a row and wouldn't have him anywhere else. The principal is amazing. She is very educated, caring, and shows great leadership for the school. She greats everyone in the morning and after school by name. She remembers every child and parents name (my nephew's school,the principal doesn't remember his name). The office staff is very informative and courteous to every parent or visitor that comes in. Each teacher is outside in the morning and afternoon and takes the time to answer any concerns. My son's first year, he was struggling and right away the teacher offered to tutor herself. Nothing was charged extra. She just didn't want him to fall behind. They are up to date on technology. The computer lab is available and is offered as a class on certain days. Each grade is currently working on iPad's. They are able to look up books (library) or material for reports and discussion(with teacher's supervision of course on appropriate material). As long as you are involved you enjoy every minute. If not. Don't worry. There are parents ready 2 help & lend a hand

Posted August 13, 2013

I luv the school. The principle and staff are great! Love the small community the school is.

Posted May 29, 2013

I have two children at this school and have been pleased with care and support I've received from their teachers. I love the small community atmosphere and it feels like family when I interact with the school community. Glad I made the choice to send my children to this school.

Posted May 27, 2013

As an educator, I hold a M.A. in Education with credentials and pursuing a K-12 Educational Leadership Ed. Doctorial program. THE FACTS FAMILIES NEED TO KNOW...The school lacks in the following: 1 no support/tutoring services when students struggle in a subject 2 many non-credential teachers 3 no traditional library and computer lab 4 a large number in teachers/students turn around 5 goal next yr. is a 1:30 teacher: student ratio 6 large amount of students are not at grade level in Math, Science and Reading. 7 Both elementary and middle school have lunch and recess together and share the same restroom. 8 principal rationalizes the poor education quality. Teacher quality based on a classroom observation: 1 instructions and goals were unclear and rushed. 2 teacher lacked subject knowledge. 3 students unengaged. 4 1 Ex: My son raised his hand to seek help on assignment, teacher's response was "oh yeah you are on the right track" then walks away. 5 poor class rm. management. Also. 5 70% of classwork/ HW are not graded 6 Teacher communication is little and unclear. Because the principal and teacher have made a negative impact on my son's life, my family will not return to STA.

Posted May 27, 2013

I'm in the eighth grade and we went to Washington D.C. - it was awesome!! STA has brought many new things to the school - IPads, smart boards, interactive programs for us to use in the computer lab and on our iPads. My sister is in the fourth grade and her teacher has her write a lot using the computer lab and her ipad. We also do our science projects using our iPads, laptops or computers - since the school has us use computers it has been great to come to school

Posted March 10, 2013

We made the decision to send my daughter to STA at 4 years old. It was between a preschool elsewhere and Transitional Kinder at St. Thomas Aquinas. My very shy 4 year old. Is the school too big? Is she still too little to go from 8am to 3pm? I was confident they would prepare her for Kindergarten. But what about everything else? What if she was too shy to ask to go to the bathroom? Would they make sure she ate her lunch? And my kid doesn't nap. Will she be okay? I have to share this - SHE LOVES IT! I had worried so much for nothing. She comes home and talks about her teachers and the friends she has made. She is always singing what she has learned in Music class. And the families here are so nice and helpful. It really is a wonderful community and the environment we want our family to be part of.

Posted January 24, 2013

This school has changed my life completely, I'm curently in 7th grade here at St. Thomas Aquinas. I love the staff and the people. We all no each other and are always talking to one another, i have learned so much of the 8 years been here (since kinder). If you send your children here then im sure your will be completely and abosalty happy. LOOK NO MORE..SEND YOUR CHILDREN HERE(:

Posted February 19, 2012

I love this school i also love the 7th grade writing teacher he's cool yes he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted January 31, 2012

My child is currently attending STA and based on the quality of teachers, level of academics and moral leadership she will be very prepared for high school and the challenges ahead that our children will face in a competitive world.

Posted May 25, 2011

St. Thomas Aquinas has been a great experience for my two sons. I really like that STA is a school that maintains a strong academic curriculum in a small school setting (avg class size is 22 students). I know that each of my sons receives the attention that he needs to effectively learn and develop. Such an attentive environment would not be possible in the overcrowded classrooms found in the surrounding public schools. Also, as a parent, I ve had the opportunity to interface with the principal and various STA staff. All of them are very approachable and are always interested in improving the curriculum and developing new enrichment programs. For example, STA has recently added an after school Drama Club and Cheerleading and will be adding more academic programs as a result of the move to a 200-day school year. I would really recommend attending one of STA s open house events or make an appointment to see what STA has to offer.

Posted November 30, 2010

Definitely a cut above others schools.

Posted November 9, 2010

Activities are fun and easy to enjoy! I enjoy my writing class.

Posted November 9, 2010

Excellent! Friendly environment! I love it!

Posted November 8, 2010

Wonderful community setting. STA students are aware of moral values and decision.

Posted October 26, 2010

I like St. Thomas Aquinas school because it's close to where we live and I want my children to learn about catholic religion.

Posted October 14, 2010

St. Thomas Aquinas in located in a great/safe area of Moterey Park. The kids here are a great big family. They not only grow academically but also religiously. The teachers and adminitrative staff are always available to assist and answer any questions that arise.

Posted July 14, 2010

One child at STA. I am happy with its teachers, the programs and the principal. When one considers the alternatives: public school (no thank you), St . Stevens (cut backs & teacher lay offs no music or P.E) and St. Teresa in Alhambra has closed; this school is right on target. There is always room for improvement, but all in all I am pleased with the results. My kid tests consistently in the 98% percentile . There is no school that can force your kid to learn. A parent MUST take an active role. I find that allot of parents at this school as in other schools expect the teachers to do it all. It is totally unrealistic expectation. If you want exceptional results, be exceptional with your child!!!

Posted March 28, 2010

I have had one child graduate from this school, she is now taking honors course, we are so pleased on how prepared she was for H.S. I have two more kids at this school and they are doing good. My son likes sports and knows that he has to get good grades to be on the team. My youngest likes her teacher and is very happy, I feel my children are save and are learning. I will continue to keep my kids at this school as long as I afford it.

Posted March 6, 2010

I enjoy this school the teachers are nice but the students not so much
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 8, 2009

My child is currently a kindergarten at STA. they hold a class of 18 ( not too sure if that makes my money worth spending at STA or not) but I do know that my childs experince there has been exceptional. Her Kinder teacher is great! my child is reading, writting, problem solving, is working on fractions, knows her prayers. I pay for my child to learne anything else is extra. As long as my child is learning and growing in a exceptable maner then if the lunch program is not that great or if the parents are snooby or if the classes are 2 to 3 children over..that makes no difference to me. Parents if you are involved in your child school and get to know your childs teacher as much as possible then I believe you will be satisfied...

Ethnicity This school

Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1501 South Atlantic Boulevard