Newark, CA

Posted October 05, 2014
Since there is no 0 or -ve star I had to pick 1 star, but this school doesn't deserve the 1 star. The management is horrible with their ridiculous rules and they do not listen to your concerns or feedback. This obviously has trickled down to the teachers. If you have any questions, the middle school teachers will ALWAYS respond with "I have to manage 180 kids, I can't focus on 1 kid". They just give you blanket, cookie cutter responses. They act superior and make you feel that there is a problem with your kid by saying other kids are doing great. In the end your kid will come out psychologically damaged with low confidence. Don't fall for their constant pitch of being ahead of the public schools by 2 grades. What a joke! This might be true for history, but not for math and science. Elementary school is a little better, but once you get to middle school it is no better than public schools academically. The teachers/administration just cram unnecessary topics to make it appear like they teach a lot. The kids get into the habit of memorization rather than developing fundamental skills. Just compare the curriculum with public schools before getting lured into this trap.

Posted January 27, 2014
This review is based on my experience with preschool through KG. I was worried initially about the environment being too aggressive, based on the "general impression" of the school but so far it has not reflected on my kids and they love going to school everyday. They are learning a lot and more importantly, they are developing a love for learning. Extra curricular activities also seem reasonable. spring/winter performances and art/music everyday. The class size is big (32 kids in KG) but the teachers seem to be on top of it. They make sure you are kept in the loop about your child's performance and provide regular constructive feedback.

Challenger?Ardenwood 2

Posted April 14, 2013
I went to this school from preschool to 8th grade, and I really hope you choose not to send your child here. The management makes some ridiculous policies, the history teachers enforce their political views on students, all the extracurricular activities are a joke (once per week and not nearly intense enough to provide the high school-level skills needed to progress), most of the teachers are extremely Indian and can't speak a word of English, the middle school hallways are really cramped, and your child won't develop any social skills. I could go on, but I think you get the gist of the problems with this school.

Challenger?Ardenwood 4

Posted January 27, 2013
great school,but needs to teach more algebra in 7th. teachers are helpful. They teach music well.

Posted April 21, 2012
My child goes to this school, but i'm planning on transferring my child to a different private school that will treat us with respect, because this school has horrible management. The executive "Isabel Haney", she is is unprofessinal, arrogant, and plain rude! no wonder the manament is horribly wrong! Let me tell you an examples about how annoying this woman is. I dropped off my child to school one morning and decided to park my car somewhere else and walk my child inside the school, but as soon as I open the front door it seems there was a barking dog reminding me that I need to drive my child to the drive way instead of walking my child to the door. I felt humilated the tone of her voice of how she address to me her reminder in front of the crowd in a hallway. she is even calling me "Mom" which is totally Wrong! for crying out loud I have a name and I'm not your mom!.... this doesnt make sense, what if I live nearby or choose not to drive my child to the drive way, so my child can't have school? she can send me a letter of reminder rather than standing on the hallway and barking parents with her reminder.

Posted February 26, 2012
My daughter goes to this school, but I am planning to withdraw from this school from next year because of many reasons. Let me list them here. 1. Student to Teacher ratio is higher or almost same as any other public schools. Most of the classes have 28 students. 2. Management is arrogant. They just don't want to listen to the feedback. If you give any feedback, they will just say that it's their policy. They never give ear to you. 3. Tests everyday. Sometimes you feel frustrated. If they can limit to one test per day, you can focus on that and perform better. 4. They never correct the homework. I was shocked to know that the teachers never even look at the student notebooks. 5. There is no focus given to any student. Personal attention is lost in the crowd. I won't blame the teachers. It's the management crowding the class with students and overloading the teacher with plenty of unwanted stuff. It's all on the shoulders of the parents. 6. Just giving textbooks of one grade higher will not improve the quality of the education, also how the education is taken to the students. I doubt if the students follow, what is being taught in the class.

Posted January 09, 2012
I live very close to this school, but send my kids to another private school. Parents feedback about excessive homework, not helping kids who are falling behind, not encouraging individuality and high fees have given me an aversion this school. The feedback on this site tells me I am right!

Challenger?Ardenwood 4

Posted April 20, 2011
My son has gone to Challenger since pre-K through 3rd grade. Great school for academics. I like the way they teach Math, Languages and Logic. They need to make Geography more interesting. They have also introduced sports programs during after school daycare. My son would finish homework during after school daycare and he coped with the academics well, however I have seen other kids not coping. Academic standards are high and if a kid id not coping, I'd think its not worth the experience for the child.

Posted July 29, 2010
Challenger is a school for parents who are 100% focused on their children's education and not extracurricular activities. My daughter, finished 4 yr. pre-school and will start kindergarten soon. What she has already learned is amazing. I have no doubt that she is ahead of any 1st grade class at any of the top elementary schools in the area. Yes, I believe that children need to learn to socialize as well as study but it is our jobs as parents to have them enrolled in other activities. I want my children to be prepared academically, and that's what Challenger is doing.

Posted April 10, 2010