Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted June 28, 2016
My child culminated from this school 3 years ago , and we still remember how great this school is especially the teachers.One in peticular is Ms.Elcayam , my child's kindergarten and 5th grade teacher, she is probably the greatest teacher I personally have ever seen, my child learned so many great skills from her that she still uses to this day.

Darby Avenue Charter School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted September 20, 2015
All the teachers my kids ever had at Darby are awesome! The truly care for my children

Darby Avenue Charter School 4

Posted September 20, 2015
I have had my kids here for many years and would've given it the "great" rating if it weren't for one "bad apple" in the main office named Debbie. She is very rude and snobby. I have waited on more than one occasion for her to get off her cell phone to acknowledge my presence in the office upon my arrival. It was quite apparent on these occasions by her tone and language that these were personal calls! I have also witnessed her being mean and rude to students who have to sit out their lunch due to injury. She told them to "sit down and be quiet!"- and NOT in a nice way at all. This behavior would not even be justified if these students were in trouble, for I believe it is possible to do her job AND be kind at the same time; she obviously sees it very differently. I find it hard to believe she doesn't realize how horrible she acts to kids, parents, and teachers. I also find it hard to believe she is still working at all.

Darby Avenue Charter School 1

Posted March 03, 2015
This is school has great PTA program parents are very involved however the main office personnel are beyond rude!! They treat us like second class citizens & i guess we're not the only parenta here who are not satisfied with the service. They good teachers some do need to improve their social skill. My kid is recently transferred to more "advanced" class & they begged us to move our kid to another class instead of getting the same treatment we are treated like again second class citizens. The teacher talks to with different tone & the look that she gave us?? I'm very disappointed with the attitude of the office staff & one of the teacher.

Posted April 17, 2014
We love this school - great teachers, great parent involvment - great atmosphere. Have been here for 2 years now and love it so far.

Posted June 06, 2013
My daughter has been at this school for 2 years now and loves it! I was so hesitant about putting her in a public school knowing that she was coming from a private preschool, however my nervousness was quickly gone within the first month! The school is extremely in touch with the needs of their students and has sooooo many fun FREE activities for the children throughout the year. My daughter always looks forward to going to the events and ALWAYS says that she had a good day at school. Even when she has had a problem with another student, the teachers are always willing to intervene and assist with the issue. They have more after school programs than I have ever seen at any school and I really appreciate that being a full time working mother. It's hard enough to be away from your child all day, however it is comforting knowing that they are in a safe, fun and academic environment that they actually enjoy! PTA is awesome and is always willing to help! Great school!

Posted June 06, 2013

Posted October 30, 2012
In reference to the post on Sept 12, 2012: A few facts: 1. This parent consistently dropped off their child late to school (as in more than once a week, and more than a few minutes). 2. This parent brought up the concern at back-to-school night at the Question and Answer session and then pulled their child out of the school the next day. My child is in Mrs Elcayem's class and her expectations are high and works hard to give individual attention as needed to each child. As with most of the teachers at Darby and Principals goals, expectations are high. Tardiness is not tolerated and 100% attendance is strongly encouraged. If you are interested in starting with at least this goal and more, Darby is an excellent public school. If education is not a priority and you can not work with teachers to help your child learn and grow, there are many other schools to choose from.

Darby Avenue Charter School 4

Posted October 30, 2012
I am very happy at Darby. When we had to move our kids from private school to public school, I immediately came to Darby. I was very impressed with the principal, staff and teachers. I knew it was a perfect place for our boys. I am especially please with the 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Elcayam. She is extremely dedicated to her students and committed to preparing them for middle school. I couldn't be happier. Darby also has a very active PTA. The PTA helps out the school whenever and where ever they need help. Go Darby!

Posted October 30, 2012
We pulled our son out of private school to attend Darby. This is our 4th year at Darby, and we've been thrilled with the decision to come here, ever since! The PTA is phenomenal, the Parent Center is always buzzing with activities. Mrs. Ghoneim does not tolerate bullying, and deals with any hint of it immediately. This year, my son is in Mrs. Elcayam's class. We LOVE her. There is always that one teacher that a person remembers, years down the road. Mrs. Elcayam will be that teacher for us. She is incredible. Passionate. Truly dedicated to her profession and her students. I saw a difference in my son's writing abilities the very first week. I see a difference in his study skills, every day. She is helping him realize his potential, and he proudly shows us his weekly progress report, every Tuesday. I volunteer in the class regularly, and I love witnessing the learning that is taking place, the interesting and exciting ways Mrs. Elcayam reaches her students, and how her love of learning rubs off on the kids. This school is amazing, and we feel blessed to be a part of it!

Darby Avenue Charter School
10818 Darby Avenue, Northridge, CA  91326-3112
Last modified Darby Avenue Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.