Public charter
Northridge, CA

Posted April 17, 2014
We love this school - great teachers, great parent involvment - great atmosphere. Have been here for 2 years now and love it so far.

Posted June 06, 2013
My daughter has been at this school for 2 years now and loves it! I was so hesitant about putting her in a public school knowing that she was coming from a private preschool, however my nervousness was quickly gone within the first month! The school is extremely in touch with the needs of their students and has sooooo many fun FREE activities for the children throughout the year. My daughter always looks forward to going to the events and ALWAYS says that she had a good day at school. Even when she has had a problem with another student, the teachers are always willing to intervene and assist with the issue. They have more after school programs than I have ever seen at any school and I really appreciate that being a full time working mother. It's hard enough to be away from your child all day, however it is comforting knowing that they are in a safe, fun and academic environment that they actually enjoy! PTA is awesome and is always willing to help! Great school!

Posted October 30, 2012
In reference to the post on Sept 12, 2012: A few facts: 1. This parent consistently dropped off their child late to school (as in more than once a week, and more than a few minutes). 2. This parent brought up the concern at back-to-school night at the Question and Answer session and then pulled their child out of the school the next day. My child is in Mrs Elcayem's class and her expectations are high and works hard to give individual attention as needed to each child. As with most of the teachers at Darby and Principals goals, expectations are high. Tardiness is not tolerated and 100% attendance is strongly encouraged. If you are interested in starting with at least this goal and more, Darby is an excellent public school. If education is not a priority and you can not work with teachers to help your child learn and grow, there are many other schools to choose from.

Darby Avenue Charter School 4

Posted October 30, 2012
I am very happy at Darby. When we had to move our kids from private school to public school, I immediately came to Darby. I was very impressed with the principal, staff and teachers. I knew it was a perfect place for our boys. I am especially please with the 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Elcayam. She is extremely dedicated to her students and committed to preparing them for middle school. I couldn't be happier. Darby also has a very active PTA. The PTA helps out the school whenever and where ever they need help. Go Darby!

Posted October 30, 2012
We pulled our son out of private school to attend Darby. This is our 4th year at Darby, and we've been thrilled with the decision to come here, ever since! The PTA is phenomenal, the Parent Center is always buzzing with activities. Mrs. Ghoneim does not tolerate bullying, and deals with any hint of it immediately. This year, my son is in Mrs. Elcayam's class. We LOVE her. There is always that one teacher that a person remembers, years down the road. Mrs. Elcayam will be that teacher for us. She is incredible. Passionate. Truly dedicated to her profession and her students. I saw a difference in my son's writing abilities the very first week. I see a difference in his study skills, every day. She is helping him realize his potential, and he proudly shows us his weekly progress report, every Tuesday. I volunteer in the class regularly, and I love witnessing the learning that is taking place, the interesting and exciting ways Mrs. Elcayam reaches her students, and how her love of learning rubs off on the kids. This school is amazing, and we feel blessed to be a part of it!

Darby Avenue Charter School 4

Posted October 11, 2012
I have two children who attend Darby and we have been happy here! Darby has mostly great teachers, an involved principal and very active PTA. Our favorite teacher is Mrs. Elcayam! Her passion for learning is contagious and she is amazing and my kids have learned so much from her! The parent who commented negatively about her(very outnumbered in her views) is also a parent who brought her daughter to school late almost daily so she needs to be more respectful!

Darby Avenue Charter School 1

Posted October 02, 2012
Not very pleased with this school. The office staff can never answer your questions. Few incidents where gates were wide open after school hours. I feel so bad that my child goes to this school. Kudos to a very active PTA though.

Posted November 03, 2011
Darby Elementary is a good quality school with a very active PTA, hard working, good teachers and a very involved principal. The principal leads every school tour in the spring, dresses up & walks in the Halloween costume parade with the students, holds weekly morning assemblies for families and sends weekly phone communications. The school has a super low teacher turnover rate. The teachers are approachable and helpful. The school has maintained its School for Advanced Studies designation & provides challenging academics. The 5th graders are prepared for middle school. The PTA holds FREE and educational events for students and their families during the year (Ice Cream Social, Talent Show, School Dance, Homework Club, reading incentive program, & more) and doesn't put too much pressure on the families for fund raising, which I appreciate since I have multiple children attending. The custodial staff and classroom aides are very helpful and friendly; Mr. T rocks! In addition, the school has 3 Autistic classrooms, an Occupational Therapy Center, Intervention/Resource teachers, Creative Kids after school care program & free orchestra program. It's an all-around great school!

Posted November 03, 2011
My child started at the school during the middle of the school year last year and I am quite happy with the school. I'm very impressed with the dedication and hands-on manner of Principal Virginia Ghoniem. Also Mrs. Elcayam, one of the 5th grade teachers is an EXCELLENT teacher. She is great at preparing the students for the transition to middle school. The school as a whole did very well last year with respect to test scores and increased their API from 871 to 900. The PTA is also very good and organized. I would definitely recommend this "gem in the Valley" to any parent.

Darby Avenue Charter School 1

Posted March 11, 2011
I like the teachers and the PTA is great. However when you walk into this school and visit the main office, you will be immediately turned off. The main office staff is beyond rude. They take their frustration out on the students and anyone who comes by. If a new, decent, and more professional staff is hired then I will surely give this school a higher rating. The main office is the first stop for anyone who comes into the school and they need to work on setting a more positive feel to the school.

Darby Avenue Charter School
10818 Darby Avenue, Northridge, CA  91326
Last modified Darby Avenue Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Darby Avenue Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top