Public charter
Oakland, CA
After care: No

Posted March 03, 2015
As a substitute teacher, this school is a pleasure to work at. The students are respectful and studious, with tons less behavior problems than many other schools, including richy private schools. One thing I observe here is a simple, clear behavior protocol that help kids make choices to succeed rather than act out and be bratty. This school does not confuse kids with permissiveness or coddling which I see so often elsewhere. Afterall, discipline is love and anything else is probably laziness. These kids know what's up and they self-correct in an amazing way. This creates a vibrant learning and teaching environment with room for a lot of joy in learning. Great job, staff,for helping students prepare for the real world and brilliant futures. (-:

Posted April 18, 2014
American Indian has been such a great asset to my sons growth and development. His grades have improved based on their standards and commitment to his growth. My son has a lot further to go, and I am confident that the school will help him get there and prepare him for college. Thank you, 6th Grade Parent

Posted April 03, 2014
I really like this school because since my two kids come to this school, they really improve a lot, I mean everything. Score and behavior doing very well. Appreciate it American Indian Charter school! one of the school parent

American Indian Public Charter School 1

Posted April 03, 2014
Do not send your child to this school please! They are militant and use intimidation, bullying and embarrassment as their form of discipline. My child's teacher belittled him daily. Would not return calls and address me directly as the adult. He would smile and say my child was doing a great job but pick on the child and even told him that he likes to embarrass parents if they attempt to complain. I spoke with the principal who verified this is their standard. My child was treated worse once I attempted to rectify the situation. These kids receive no recess breaks and only receive a minimal lunch break with no meals offered by the institution but no microwave to warm food that is sent. The staff is rude and condescending but enforce higher standards than the adults there as the examples

Posted August 03, 2013
I never really expected to love my school, but I did and I don't regret not coming here. Here, I learn all the things I need to know and maybe extra stuff at the end of the school year. The facility though, isn't the best, but there can be easy upgrades to it to make look very appealing, so that other people can be attracted to our, but this can't happen because all the money is gong toward all the materials we need to learn. If we won the money, the money can be used for upgrading many things on the facility. My school is a place that I can learn many things easily,but it would be a perfect school if the facility looked nice.

Posted August 02, 2013
This school is a Great-Caring community, with great Staff and teachers. The students here work really hard. They never give up, and they always aim to improve. They'll try their best to get as high as they can. This school isn't in the greatest condition, or has the Largest amount of school supplies.This school has suffered shortages, which leads to less supplies, which means students have nothing to use to complete their work. Everything they have, are donated, Bought used, or found. Nothings new at American Indian Public Charter School. But every day their kids keep their head up high, even though they know that they face the fact that their not in the high-tech learning Environment . These kids work so hard, and does not get anything for it. These kids deserve something, that will help them through-out the school year. If they win the $5,000 dollars, You have no idea, how much it will help them. This school deserves Better.

Posted August 02, 2013
The teacher teach us so well that we get 4.00. We are the top 5 school. My teacher teach us to 2-4hr of math so we will know more math when we Grow up.

American Indian Public Charter School 3

Posted March 28, 2013
This school has had its charter revoked by the Oakland Unified School District as of March 2013 for improper financial dealings, and the school will appeal. It is questionable if they can have the decision reversed by the 2013/14 school year. Check the OUSD website for more info.

Posted January 10, 2013
I personally love this school. I have been at this school for all of middle school and it had been a great experience! At first , this school seems hard , but after a few weeks things seem to get a lot better. Homework load is adequate and it depends on the student for how long the assignments take. This school offers great support with resource and after school tutoring help. By the time STAR test comes , there is no extra prep needed because the teachers do all the work. This school also does a great job in keeping all their students in shape with their amazing PE curriculum! Along with academics , they make sure that all students behave , they give detentions for any kind of horseplay and give Saturday School to those who receive many, though , the teachers and staff are very kindhearted. This school also teaches how to work as a community and not for your own benefit and I think that's what I like best. I would recommend this school to all students and promise that it will benefit them greatly!

Posted October 31, 2012
I am so grateful that my son is attending this great school! My son is in 7th grade, and has been attending American Indian since the 5th grade. I love the way the school is structured to ready the students for College.

American Indian Public Charter School
171 12th Street, Oakland, CA  94619
Last modified American Indian Public Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
American Indian Public Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top