Posted November 10, 2013
My son is a 7th grader this year, and an alum from Chabot. He had a great year last year - straight A's, advanced on the CST's (no drop from Chabot), and made some good friends - thanks to good principals, strong teaching staff, and the good community. This year is going even stronger, except for gym. He really likes the design thinking and making class and the enrichment wheel, both unique to Claremont. His favorite subject is Algebra. Fortunately, the Mr. Richardson's believe in offering math at different levels. Algebra has proven to be very challenging, but he likes a challenge. We are very pleased with Claremont and feel honored to be part of the vibrant Claremont community.

Posted November 06, 2013
My daughter is an 8th grader at Claremont and has enjoyed her time here. Not many fellow students from Chabot came to Claremont with her and we did have a bumpy first year with the administration roller coaster ride. However, since the Richardsons came on board last year as co-principals (no more asst. principal) things have really turned around. School culture, academic rigor, increased parent participation, teamwork among the teachers. It hasn't all been because of them, but they have led the entire community to make the changes. My daughter is a high achiever and looking forward to AP classes at Oakland Tech. She feels the majority of her teachers have challenged her to learn what she needs to be a success at the next level. Claremont has students that come from all over OUSD and not just the nearby schools with so much support. It has been inspiring to watch the teachers and administrators accept ALL children into the fold and work to bring them up to a higher level of achievement, not just the kids with parents who are involved. My daughter has enjoyed the extra-curriculars like Math Counts and Running Club. I have enjoyed the engaged parent community.

Posted September 04, 2013
My daughters last year tears! When she first began there it was Extremely scary. The assistant principal was great! The teachers were Awesome except her art teacher! Anywho! Now the Co-Principals have made me wish I was in school again. They communicate with Parents and children in a Positive way always. I always hear how we'll my child is doing from teachers,librarian,office staff,nurses and the security guards! I know my child can be a handful she's the baby of the family! However the Claremont Middle School remains so Positive! I help out at the school when I can! The security guards speak to the children as if they were young adults! They know the children names. I feel so Blessed to have them! I never hear them shout! They walk are run lol! To the children and speak to them. I heard one shout as he approach child for safety purpose only! He first called out to the gym teacher. Then he got closer called out the child his shoe laces were all over the place and the child was going to trip. It was so caring. I wish I could take the staff to my child's High School!

Posted August 29, 2013
My son is now a seventh grader at Claremont. I have been impressed how the school administration is fostering positive changes at the school. The teaching staff is getting stronger and many of the teachers are phenomenal. Enrollment is up significantly this year as word of Claremont makes its way to the community. The Claremont Principals are loved by many in the community including, teachers, kids and parents. Even though the school is not perfect I feel we are part of a community that is helping this school again become a gem.

Posted April 29, 2013
I have a 7th grader at Claremont. This has been a great year for him. The new principals are AMAZING! They have been such a positive influence and have provided fantastic leadership. The parent community also amazing and very invovled. The teaching staff is engaged and committed. My son has a wonderful group of friends also and is thriving. If you haven't given Claremont a chance, you really should!

Posted January 18, 2013
My 6th grader is having a great year at Claremont! The new principals are awesome, he's made some wonderful new friends, and nearly all of his teachers are terrific. He is challenged, getting good grades, and feels very comfortable at school. None of our initial worries about a public school experience in Oakland have been borne out--in fact, I would say it has been an experience more full of opportunity than I ever imagined. The Claremont community is truly special.

Posted November 21, 2012
Our son, a sixth grader and Chabot alum, has had a great fall at Claremont. His teachers are hardworking, creative, intelligent, and compassionate. The new co-principals are brilliant in all aspects of their work, and excellent communicators with both students and parents. Our son has had a couple of issues that might fall under the "bullying" category but the principals have handled them beautifully and the problems have been solved in the fullest sense of the word, not just papered over. I am pleased to report that our son been just as enthusiastic, confident, enriched, and comfortable this year as he was at Chabot -- maybe more so. Our anxieties about middle school have all but disappeared in light of the great beginning he's had at Claremont. I look forward to the school's continuing to bloom in the years to come.

Posted November 02, 2012
We have a a 6th grader and an 8th grader at Claremont. Both kids are happy and thriving. They feel safe and appreciated and they get plenty of individual attention from their teachers. Nearly all of their teachers are exceptional instructors and people, who have very much zeroed in on who my children are and what will make them thrive. Is every single teacher outstanding? No. Show me any school, public, charter or private, where every single teacher is outstanding. But that is by far the exception, not the rule. The new principals have had a wonderful impact on the culture and feel of the school--they know every kid's name, and are extremely committed to the success of Claremont and its students. My children have a greatly heightened cultural, social and community awareness and sensitivity that I directly attribute to attending school with kids from all over Oakland and of many different backgrounds. That is invaluable, in my opinion.

Claremont Middle School 3

Posted November 01, 2012
To the person below, please update these comments in January if you are still at Claremont. As you noted, an accurate review cannot be written without some time passing. And again, from what you have noted, things were ok for about a month. Given the date of your post, it seems that things have not been ok in your opinion for about 2 weeks. I assume that you have gone to the administration and the parents' group about your concerns and it would be nice to hear if anything happens with some time passing. It seems 4 months would be more than sufficient to be able to see something occur which is why I asked for an update in Jan (again, assuming you are still there). My son is at Claremont and we have not experienced this year what you are describing at all, however, I do not want to discount your experience. I am hoping that the administration and parent group will hear your concerns and changes will take place for you.

Claremont Middle School 1

Posted October 17, 2012
We are very disappointed with CMS. Notice that a lot of these positive reviews have been written within days of the first day of school. I don't think an accurate review can be written without some time passing. For us, things started out okay. My son came from a great local, public OUSD elementary school. After about a month, the issues became apparent and are happening with more frequency. To start, many teachers seem disconnected. One math teacher in particular is very disengaged from students and parents and is dismissive when approached.. He (like other teachers at CMS) is very hands off. There is a lack of instruction and a tendency to direct students to a lesson, have them sit quietly and finish with very little support or interaction. It feels cold and lacks the spark that should be present when learning. Education and school should be fun. Not at CMS. More importantly (in my opinion) is the bullying. Bullying is a HUGE problem at this school. These kids are being harassed and belittled and theft is a common issue. This isn't just happening to us, it's widespread. I'm not the only parent considering a change of schools. Beware!

Claremont Middle School
5750 College Avenue, Oakland, CA  94618
Last modified Claremont Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Claremont Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 67 reviews.