Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)

Develops character: Neutral

To get a straight answer from a pre-teen or teen is very hard. I've been to many middle schools and I have to say the kids do look out for each other at Claremont or at least try too.

I love how the school is diverse, in many different was. This is the real world, teachers are willing to help the students. They have a new principal , Mr Mayor is doing a great job.

My son went from St. Paul's to Claremont in the 6th grade. He's now in 7th and LOVES this school. There's a wide range of kids, not the "pretend" diversity of the private schools, and the range of what's "acceptable" behavior for kids is more like real life, some real great and some not so. The teachers, many of them are young and some are newer, seem to really believe in the school and what they're doing. Mr. Mayer, the new principal since last year, is a genuine, thoughtful and exceptional person. We're very happy with our decision, and most of all, our son is thriving there academically and socially.

My son is 7th grade and loves his school. He said he likes Claremont "way more than Peralta" (his elementary school) which to me seemed like a hard act to follow. He is engaged in his classes and likes all of his teachers. Last year, he started also to blossomed there musically (Jazz Band) and athletically (Cross Country Club and Basketball team lead by the fabulous family of Doubley coaches). I find the instruction and academic level pretty high and love the sense of community at the school. Also the After Spot ( after school program) provides great variety of activities such as Skateboarding (hope Sailing is offered again next year). The school has great leadership , great teachers and great PTA. We are also in the process of planning and building new cafeteria and gym.

I have two kids who are very challenged and happy at Claremont (sixth and seventh grade). They both care deeply about academic achievement and adore their teachers. They have a great group of friends, and they manage themselves very independently, walking to and from school together and participating in after-school enrichment programs that require no parents driving them around! The whole family loves it!

Our daughter started 6th grade this year, and she (and we) couldn't be happier. Her teachers are all incredibly engaged, committed, and creative. Although math is her most challenging subject, it is our daughter's favorite class, because of Ms. Thacher. The enrichment programs (zero period Spanish, rock-climbing (on actual rocks in N. Berkeley!), jazz ensemble, theater) are amazing. The student community is diverse and respectful. Highest recommendation!

My son is in sixth grade at Claremont, and he is having a great time there, both academically and socially. His teachers range in experience from veterans to relative newbies, but they are all talented and they share a passion for the job. My older child attended Claremont for the last three years, when there was a lot of transition going on; it's amazing to see how much positive change Principal Mayer and Asst. Principal Coleman have brought about since Aug 2014, in terms of school climate as well as quality of instruction.

Both of our kids are having a great experience this year with challenging teachers working in a team approach to study subjects in greater depth. We highly recommend this school.

Our 6th grade son started this Fall at Claremont, and so far we are having a TERRIFIC experience! We enjoy the smaller school size (around 400 kids) and we love having our former Chabot Elementary principal, Jonathan Mayer, at the helm! The staff are a delight, and Mr Mayer has done an excellent job attracting and managing great teachers. The computer lab is state-of-the-art, there is a new and robust afterschool enrichment program, and overall our son is both challenged and happy!

My 7th grader has been excited about so many classes since starting at Claremont in 6th grade. His teachers are great, they challenge the kids, and keep things interesting. We're especially impressed with the science teachers and the computer animation program (which just took 60 kids on a field trip to the Dreamforce convention!), as well as all of the teachers' commitment to holistic learning. And the principle, Jonathan Mayer, is excellent. He's a good communicator, seems to work well with staff and teachers, and gets things done with OUSD. Plus he seems to be in it for the long-term. The after-school program offers an incredible range of classes. The atmosphere of the school is also comfortable and supportive (the front office staff are amazing), and I've seen my son develop into a confident, independent kid who is doing extremely well academically. Best of all, my son is really happy at Claremont.

Last modified Claremont Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.