Sequoia Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 391 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 9, 2014

Our daughter has been extremely happy at Sequoia and truly enjoys going to school every day. This is a testament to the teachers who are inspiring in their dedication and a testament to the Principal who creates an environment where the teachers can thrive. The community involvement at the school is also amazing. Their involvement allows for many of the enrichment offerings at Sequoia, but also provides a example and model to the kids regarding community involvement and the value of education.

Posted April 2, 2014

Sequoia is special for many reasons, but the parental support here is great. My son is a 2nd grader. We participate in Bike Day, the Back to School picnic, harvest festival, and many other community events. There are great opportunities to learn here. The parents value learning, reading, and math, which in turn supports the kids and teachers. We highly recommend Sequoia.

Posted April 2, 2014

Sequoia is a wonderful school with a diverse parent, student, teacher community. There is strong parent support and fabulous teachers. Our family has enjoyed Sequoia for the past 3 years!

Posted April 2, 2014

Sequoia school has been a total dream for my family. It is our neighborhood school, so we just lucked into it, and I count my blessings all the time. I have 2 quirky daughters (one is already in middle school but went to Sequoia from kinder to 5th) who have both thrived there. There is a balance of academic rigor with creative pursuits. The art program is amazing. The student body is very diverse. Principal and teachers are very accessible.

Posted March 27, 2014

We ended up at Sequoia because my child is in TK. Sequoia wasn't even on my radar, although I had heard good things about it. We ended up loving it so much I wouldn't dream of moving schools. I used to only look at test scores but there is so much more to a school than that. To really get a feeling for a school you have to spend time on campus but I will list the things I like about Sequoia. There is an excellent principal and excellent teachers. The parent involvement is great. There's a wonderful sense of community. It's very diverse, meaning there is not one dominate group, ethnically, culturally or socio economically. The enrichment programs are so impressive. The kids learn African drumming with the greatest teacher. Every month the kids perform at Sequoia Sings where they sing and play drums. It's literally the coolest, greatest and most special thing I have ever seen a school do. The kids are taught their core values (like a school motto) of compassion, honesty, respect, and responsibility. They have art, PE, garden, drumming, music, science. It's a special, inclusive, nurturing place to attend school. Go Sequoia Squirrels!

Posted March 24, 2014

I and my wife are grandparents of three Sequoia students: a fifth grader, third grader and a TKer (transitional kindergarten). We pick up the kids after School and know teachers, parents and Principal. I have been involved as a volunteer at the School for 5+ years as a reading tutor, classroom helper and helper at various fund-raisers. I know a great number of parents and all the Teachers and the (relatively new) Principal. The Teachers are dedicted and very expert in their profession.There is not a bad Teacher some, being excellent. . I am in the process of recommending the TK Teacher, Ms. Love, for special recognition as she is truly special - keeping her very young students captivated and learning. Since we have been in contact with the School there have been three Pricipals with the first one excellent, the second not as good and now an excellent Principal again. Parents are very involved with volunteering with fund-raisers (very successful), helping out with classroom activities, after-school activities, etc. In my opinion, Sequoia School is an excellent Elementary School

Posted March 23, 2014

Sequoia is a well-rounded elementary school that our kids will always remember as a place that loves to celebrate. We love that Sequoia encompasses many things that we love about Oakland- strong community ties, cultural/racial and socioeconomic diversity, teachers that care deeply for student growth and comfort, Principal that cares about the big picture, and supportive parental involvement. There are negatives, as there are with any school- not enough playground supervision and lack of resources or programs for children that are performing at a high level (in short, not a challenging curriculum)

Posted March 23, 2014

Sequoia has an incredibly warm and inviting community that inspires a strong connection among the students, the teachers, and the students' families. There is a high level of willing family participation - there is never any pressure to be involved, but families are drawn in by the inclusive and welcoming environment. Students are proud to be a part of the Sequoia community, and it's reflected in the overall atmosphere of the school. It's a place where people really take care of each other. I've seen many examples of children rushing to help and comfort a child who has fallen or who seems upset. I've also seen older kids include younger kids when playing on the playground after school. The supportiveness is also present in the classroom. We've only experienced one teacher so far, but she has been incredible. She recognizes that different kids have different strengths, and she finds ways to engage and challenge each individual. I occasionally help in the classroom, and it's touching to see how excited and proud the kids are when they've learned something new or accomplished a tough task. In some magical way, our teacher finds ways to bring that out in every child.

Posted March 23, 2014

Sequoia is all around excellent. My grandson reads third grade books as he enters Spring time in the 1st grade. Teachers and leadership top notch as well. Play experience outside is pleasant and well supervised.

Posted March 22, 2014

Folks- Sequoia Elementary completely ROCKS! Yes it's Oakland Unified, but I'm here to tell you that as the parent of an African American son with borderline special needs it has completely exceeded my wildest dreams. The principal and his teachers have worked with me and with my son. I talk, they listen and respond as well as listening and responding to my son-incredible! In addition to very motivated and excellent staff (they have amazing teacher retention) another astonishing strength is their diversity, and friends: this is the real deal tire meets the road diversity, not the diversity lite or diversity in theory that other schools claim to value and have. For instance in my son's class of 24 there are: 4 families with queer parents, 2 transracial families of adopted children, four asian, two latino, five white, seven African American and 6 biracial kids. His afterschool program 'Healthy Start is great as well.

Posted January 8, 2014

New to Sequoia this year, and we have been blown away. This is a wonderful neighborhood public school. Starting first grade knowing no one, I feel that our child has been warmly embraced by the other kids at the school. We feel a true sense of community. Teachers are supportive, pragmatic and no-nonsense. The staff is friendly, knowledgable and always helpful. And the parental involvement is outstanding. We could not ask for more!

Posted October 9, 2013

My children have attended Sequoia since 2007. Educationally speaking Sequoia is average. Another post commented on the lack of a challenge in the work given their child. Which I too have encountered. Although there is no perfect school, it all comes down to consistent parental involvement working in conjunction with the Administration to ensure a successful school experience. I would advise existing and new parents alike to be aware of the bullying currently happening on Sequoia's campus - of which my child has been one of the recipients of. To my knowledge, it is just occurring with the upperclassmen. Nevertheless, it should not be occurring at all. In light of that information, make an informed decision of whether you want your child(ren) to attend this school. This issue is serious and given my children's long tenure at this school, I am fighting to eradicate this issue...not only for my children's well-being, but for all who attend and/or hope to attend this school. Bullying is unacceptable behavior and need not be swept under the rug for the sake of not tarnishing Sequoia's image.

Posted September 9, 2013

My Son School is great!!! I am so happy to have him here since 2nd grade. This school is great for parents support , when you call, when you in person, when you need to talk to the principal, they always there for you and your child. I like everything in the school, teachers, principal, office personal, location, parents is just a BEAUTIFUL SCHOOL AND ENVIROMENT FOR KIDS. My son look very happy on his 5th grade and with his teacher, sadly this is his last year in this school. I do encourage every parent to enroll your kids in Sequoia elementary school, your kids will love it too.

Posted March 17, 2013

We are 5th-year parents of two girls at Sequoia (our default neighborhood elementary school) and have been consistently impressed with the teachers, the administration, and the strong sense of community with other Sequoia families.

Posted March 5, 2013

This is our second year at Sequoia and we truly love it. The teachers, administration and community of families are wonderful, inclusive and engaging. If you are considering Sequoia, please try to attend one of our many fabulous events to see for yourself what a fabulous, nurturing school it is!

Posted March 4, 2013

We love Sequoia! We've been here for four years, and thought we moved out of the assignment area, we are keeping our children at Sequoia, no question!

Posted March 4, 2013

Are your trying to decide between sending your child to a public or private school? Sequoia has an extremely nurturing environment, my daughter loves going to school there, the reading specialist is excellent, girls (as well as boys) are encouraged to get excited about science, and math. In 2006, the National Education Department did a large scale study comparing private and public school and concluded that the statistics showed public schools generally performed as well or better in reading and mathematics than comparable children in private schools. The Oakland Unified School District has been named the most improved school district in California for the last 5 years. Sequoia is a school community where children thrive and where parents have many opportunities to grow by taking part in a caring Community. If you like being involved with your children s studies and believe in a strong Community, Sequoia is a great place to be.

Posted March 4, 2013

Sequoia has not only met all of our expectations for quality elementary education for our daughter (1st grade), but has exceeded them. From the extremely competent principal to the high-quality teachers to the engaged parent leadership, the school has so many strengths. We look forward to sending our second child there next year.

Posted March 3, 2013

My son started Kindergarten at Sequoia this year and we are thrilled with our experience. The school has so much to offer! My son enjoys using the library, drumming class, motor skills exercises, PE, art class, garden class, and more. His teacher is excellent and he has truly thrived under his care and appropriately challenging instruction. He has made many friends, as have we- the parent community is strong and wonderful. The principal is an amazing leader who really has her finger on the pulse of what makes the school successful. Though we were lucky to have a good school 2 blocks from our house, we instead chose Sequoia for all the obvious reasons and are SO happy with our choice.

Posted February 7, 2013

My daughter attended from K-5th grade. We absolutely love this school. She has fond memories and still talks about her experience here. The Principal at the time was fabulous! Since then, there have been two more principals appointed to this school. Still, the teachers at this school are extremely nurturing. The students have tremendous respect for each other. The art program and choir teachers are amazing! There is so much diversity and richness. Parent involvement is spectacular and welcoming. Additional: GATE class, art, music, after school help from teachers.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students59%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 44%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Academic Excellence Award (2007)

Special education / special needs

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Katia Hazen
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (510) 531-6611

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global
  • Visual impairments
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • AC Transit lines 11 and 21 serve our school.

East Bay Agency for Youth (after school program)

Types of activities
  • Thursday
  • Friday
End time
  • 6:00
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
Website

Performing arts
  • Dance

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code