Posted April 04, 2014
My Grandson goes to Westlake Middle School he has been there for 2 years now. The teacher are very caring and helpful if your child needs help or needs to make up some work. The after school program is great the have tutoring and sports for the children after school. If your child misses school they give you a call.

Posted November 02, 2013
The Common Core Content Standards have greatly directed the flow of education at Westlake for the better. Westlake is improving by providing students with literacy skills that will move them toward college and career skills needed in the future. For example,my child has increased the amount of writing that is done daily. Also, my child reads novels and works on a variety reading assignments. My child writing has improved and test scores are high. Unlike the bubble in CST, the Common Core Standards address skills that my child will need f to compete globally, like technical reading, argumentative writing and speaking (presentations). Westlake is on board with high standards for students. In math, my child is expected to explain the steps in the problem, analyze and look at the relationship in problems. The math teachers needs aides to assist her with meeting the needs of such a diverse population of students. Westlake is developing technology in the school for a more visual approach. They use website"Brainpop" in some classrooms. Teachers need to provide a list of upcoming concepts covered for the school year, so that parents can work along side them to help their child.

Westlake Middle School 1

Posted October 05, 2012
This school is a terrible school. I know several people there, and they often skip classes, especially algebra 1. Yet, those same people turned into OK people into crazy teenage nightmares, painting nails and wearing makeup. There are lots of fights and even the school hired security guards. Some people even bring weapons to school and cheat on the STAR test. How do I know this? Like I said, I know people in Westlake. People are seated in groups, which makes it easier to cheat. Even with help, the students get very poor scores which makes the school API terrible. Rules are very loosely enforced,so the students run wild. Just because the school has an amazing music program doesn't mean you should send your kid there. Academics are the key, not music programs. Academics will stick with your child for his/her whole life and determine their salary and job. You don't want your child involved with gang activity and get a terrible job probably as a janitor when he/she grows up. Overall, this is a below mediocre school. I recommend you send your child to a school like American Indian Charter, the school I go to now (I'm in 8th grade!:) It'll be worth it, I guarantee it.

Posted June 20, 2012
Love it, love it, love it! The music program is awesome; Mr. Porter does an awesome job. Props to Ms. Keller and Mr. Been for sixth grade core classes as well. My daughter has thrived academically and socially at Westlake; glad to be part of the Westlake community.

Posted May 27, 2011
Truly stellar teachers and administration. Amazing music program, amazing after school program. Student body generally embodies a deep sense of Oakland pride. My son has learned a great deal, academically as well as socially.

Posted September 20, 2010
I love the teachers that help my children learn everyday.

Posted February 05, 2010
Great school, My child goes here and she has been learning more than she has when she was in her elementary school. my child was failing in 2009 so we signed up for sylvan and it also improved.Now I would not stress for looking at a report card.

Posted July 02, 2009
A school that is succeeding in teaching great academics as well as building good social skills for young teens and adolescents. School teachers and staff are continuously working on building strong community which isn't always easy in a large urban school - but it is beginning to work. After school program is fantastic - wish they could accommodate all students. Happy we send our child there!

Posted January 13, 2009

Posted January 11, 2009
other schools in oakland,teacher's just here for a check,Westlake has the best interest for students,they encourage,spend time,teach an they learn!!! I have 3 children graduated there and now in highschool, all 3 stay on the honor roll..Best put your chilren here for their sake..it's their future...

Westlake Middle School
2629 Harrison Street, Oakland, CA  94612
Last modified Westlake Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westlake Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews.