St. Anthony School

Private | K-8

Living in Oakland

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $185,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Sweep tile

Posted December 12, 2013

Don't judge a book by its cover. Don't judge a school by its price tag. Some may think that St. Anthony might be better because 'you're paying for your kids education....or... you're paying for your kids to succeed.' Sorry, wrong school here! St Anthony did not prepared students for HS. Moreover, materials that are taught in 8th grade should classified as 5th grade level work. Students spend unnecessary time on things such as "Thank you cards" when they should really be working their butts off. The kids are very disrespectful! I noticed many of them form 'teams' where they include/exclude certain individuals and just start gossiping (teams are formed by race, grades, gender, etc.) Not a good environment for kids to learn to be more accepting of others' differences. I graduated over 7+ years ago, most of the friends that I graduated with went to CSUs, 1 or 2 went to UCs, and I remember a few of them actually got married because he/she got a baby.

Posted July 6, 2013

I have graduated from this school 3 years ago and I don't believe that this school prepares you for high school the teachers let the students do whatever they want. I personally did not like the teaching style of Ms.Cohen she gets angry easily and yells at the students as If they were grown I wish I had not gone to this school and don't know where the parents get their information about this school from because they're reviews are false.

Posted May 27, 2012

I was a student here. This school does not prepare you for high school at all. It is one of the WORST schools in Oakland. Most of the school is Latino/Hispanic or Vietnamese/Chinese. The children there teased my friend for years because she was white and spoke proper English. I don't understand where all these reviews from "parents" are coming from. They are mostly first generation students most of their parents could barely say hello in English let alone type a review on the computer. I would not recommend this school to anyone that actually wants there child to have a future.

Posted June 22, 2010

i like saint anthony's because the students in it are very respectful and considerate of other people they learn about respect and how to make good choices in their life. I really like all the teachers in the school exept the 5th grade teacher Ms.Cohen she screams to much at kids and thinks that by screaming kids are going to learn. She also seems very racis because she lets Vietnamese kids speak their language but not Latinos or Mexicans. I think she is defenitly not a good teacher , I think they should fire her.

Posted March 30, 2010

St. Anthony is a great choice for kids; it is getting better all the time. The staff is continually looking for ways to improve the program, and there is a wonderful family feel that makes up for not having all the bells and whistles of schools in more affluent areas. Loyalty to this school runs deep, and the kids who graduate come back to visit and volunteer all the time. That speaks volumes. Many are also getting into the most competetive private high schools. For a safe, nurturing place with a free after school program, don't overlook it!

Posted September 28, 2009

I graduated from this school two years ago, and I would like to say that I do not regret going here. Teachers here prepare for high school and they DO care for your education. I can tell you that students who go to this school are being prepared to be successful in high school. I love to visit this school whenever I get the chance to because of the great memories of the place. I remember my favorite English teacher, Mrs. Wilson, had us worked all hard when I was in 7th and 8th grade. I thought she just likes giving us work at first, but when I entered high school, I figured that she was preparing me for it. This isn't just a school, it is a loving community and family.

Posted March 3, 2009

i like St.Anthony school because my teachers spend extra time to help me understand the lessons . This school is a great comunity. We are all good friends and there is hardly any fighting between students. The teachers and staff get along very well and they are all great teachers. I like the school too because there are extra activities such as spelling bee, oratorical contest,after school sports program, and next quarter the upper grades will have a science fair. Our principal Sr. Barbara Flannery works very hard everyday to make St. Anthony a great school for all of us. This year our principal has received gifts of new chairs, new desk, new carpet andalso received donations to fix the girls bathroom. Most of our graduates go to Catholic schools. I fully recomend this school to all the families that want their children to be successful in high school. GOOOO TIGERS!!

Posted February 27, 2009

St. Anthony's Catholic School is a great family environment. Sister Barbara, the school principal is very personable and cares for all the children of St. Anthony's. I just heard that they also have a new web site coming soon: http://stanthonys-ca.org

Posted December 31, 2008

I don't like this school, the people that works there always talk about money..And if you can't pay, or have a payment delay, they would not serve you until you fully paid it.. And the classes there aren't changeling the ones that are willing to learn. Besides that they waste a lot of times doing 'unnecessary' things, such as making a thank you card, painting, preparing things for the church, and parties.. Overall, I don't think that this is a good school, for achieving students who are willing to learn and tried to be sucessful in the future.

Posted February 9, 2008

This school is a wonderful, family- like school with a strong Catholic focus. It is a diverse group of students and teachers. Teachers are excellent, committed and care deeply about the educational and emotional needs of the children. It's not located in the best neighborhood but it is truly a hidden gem.

Posted February 5, 2008

This school is like a breath of fresh air. The Teachers and Principal are like family. The children are happy and are not caught up in the worries of the world. I find it to be a very loving and safe enviroment for my girls. Try going to public school in the LA Area.

Posted August 5, 2007

St Anthony's is a wonderful school and the teachers are very knowledgeable. Everyone knows one another; it's a big family. I encourage any parent to enroll their child/ren at St Anthony's.

Posted June 27, 2007

My kids are currently going to St.Anthony school and me and my family think it's a very good school. The kids get along like brothers and sisters! Everyone is very helpful. Everyone is open to helping. I think it is a very good school because it is true that the school isnt in the best area in town but we make the best of it. The important thing is that the kids are not only learning but are making friend and having as much fun as possible!

Posted February 6, 2007

I have been in this school for 7 years. So far this school has changed my life physically and mentaly.This school does prepare you for high school or any grade that you child is willing to graduate from.

Posted February 4, 2007

I am a teacher at St. Anthony Year Round School. Here are some facts about our school which might be of some help to parents: 1. Teachers are certified and some have Masters' degrees. 2. Class sizes are small. The biggest this year is the 7th grade class with 22 students. 3. A reading consultant has been hired to help with the school's reading and language arts program. 4. Some students with difficulties in reading and language arts are helped twice a week by a teacher under the Title I program. 5. Last year the faculty participated in a monthly on-campus workshop on the teaching of reading.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 15, 2006

The school is a bad school. There are to many kids in one class

Posted June 15, 2006

This school is a very unrecommendable. The school is in a very bad neighborhood there's not that many extracurricular activities for the children to join. St.Anthony's needs more teachers to teach the kid and perpare them for the next level. Maybe if the school made a little more improvement, I would recommend it but until then no way.

Posted August 11, 2004

This school is absolutely horrible. Many students learn from incompetent teachers, which prepare them to do nothing but be the worst. I went here from K-8. It pushes all children into a general mold. It focuses on helping the sub-intelligent while neglecting those with gifts. The resources are absolutely pathetic compared to many public schools, let alone other private schools. This school does not prepare children for high-school level work. Both in the two core subjects, English and Arithmatic. Not to mention every other subject. Their disciplinary system is even worse. Allowing children to associate with gangs, and promote gangs in school. They do not care for the mental state of their students. Allowing other children to do unacceptable and disrespectful things to others. This school, in my opinion, is highly unreccomended.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 7, 2003

My son went here for his k-3 years and it really helped prepare bim for higher levels. there needs to be more sports and other activities. the school is like a small community. The school is also non-violent dispite of the place it's located. The principal also is a great leader.

Ethnicity This school

Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Oakland

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1500 East 15th Street