Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School 2

Posted September 10, 2015
We are a military family that just moved to California from South Carolina. I did research on the schools in the area. I wasn't crazy that Mcauliffe was only a 6 and thought about sending my child to Hollywood which is an 8 however decided against it after talking to a school liaison. I went to the school to register my child and was told to go to the district, which was new to me, but I did. I waited and heard nothing. So i went back to the school and explained we were new and asked when the open house would be? Mind you it was only two weeks before school started. I was told they only had back to school for kindergartners. A week later i started getting voice messages that I didn't really understand, it was from a school but not from Mcauliffe. By the 3rd message which I received on a Friday afternoon and school started the following wednesday, I was concerned so I called the school to inquire and was told that they did not have my son registered there that they were at capacity and he was traded to another school. With no warning, no calls! if i had not called them i would have never known and showed up there on the first day of school! Confused at the fact no one thought to call and tell me especially since i had no idea they could do this- especially since we live in the district & are zoned for Mcaullife. Even worse the school they over flowed us to has a rating of 2. Furious & frantic to find him a good school we ended up registering him in a private school. On the fourth day of school we get a call from Mcauliffe telling us they had spots if we were interested. It would save us a lot of money but quite honestly I have no interest in sending my child there if thats how they treat people.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted September 10, 2015
If they had compassion, caring and empathy they would take military families into consideration and have some sort of open house for new students. And they might care enough to at least call the parent if the child somehow gets switched to a different school or district.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted September 10, 2015
The front office staff did not demonstrate fairness or integrity in my experience. They failed to contact me when the school supposedly reached capacity and somehow came to the conclusion that my son ( even though we are zoned for Mcauliffe) would be transferred to a different school. How can they teach it if they don't demonstrate it or abide by it themselves?

Posted August 25, 2015
This is my sons 3rd year at this school. I can say he is doing exceptionally well. The new principal is very approachable and always has time to listen to parents concerns. This year the school will focus on Ocean and Space. Happy parents at Christa McAuliffe, Oxnard.

Posted April 28, 2014
I love this school so glad this was my sons first school and hope it will also be my daughters.

Posted August 01, 2013
This school is great. The teachers are friendly and involved. My son really learned a lot and got involved and grew while learning.

Posted September 27, 2012
I have two daughters who enjoyed GATE classes. My oldest daughter got 600 points for her CST's Math Test and 550 for her English Parts

Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School 4

Posted October 05, 2011
My son currently attends this school as a 5th grader and has been there since the 3rd grade. He is in the GATE program. I have been very happy with the GATE program, however I must admit that I sometimes have to do some reteaching and teaching at home. I am a 4th and sometimes 5th grade teacher, so this works out well. There are, however, some students that shouldn't be in the GATE program based on behavior and work ethic, but students are placed in the program via an non-verbal IQ test. With an IQ of 130 they are accepted. This school also has a lot of helpful and interested parents because they tend to be the type who value education and are willing to help out with either money or time. There are also a lot of extra curricular activities offered. I feel that I am getting a private school education and the bargain price of public, which, of course, is essentially free. Nonetheless, I am public school teacher, and I can say none of it is free, although education is worth every penny we spend on it.

Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School 3

Posted June 23, 2011
The GATE program is not the excellect program since moved to McAluiffe, teachers are not trained to teach GATE students. The principal is not commited to improve education. Bullying is a big problem in this school.

Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School 4

Posted May 17, 2011
As my daughter's 3rd grade year draws to a close, I feel like I can honestly review this school. She went from a private school to this school and surprisingly, the curriculum is much more challenging. The larger class size has been a positive aspect rather than a negtaive one since my daughter has more kids to choose from when it comes to friends. Her prior class size of only 7 girls was not a good thing for her, socially. Having the GATE program at the school is also a plus since the administration has the raised their expectations for ALL students and not just the GATE students.

3300 West Via Marina Avenue, Oxnard, CA  93035-2440
Last modified Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.