Bad
Good

My daughter is going to to begin Kindergarten at Hueneme Elementary. This review is solely for office staff and administration. The office staff isn't very friendly. They couldn't answer questions I had about when we would hear about enrollment/teacher, supply lists or even the Kindergarten schedule. The girl in the front office list several documents for our enrollment packet and I found myself running home to retrieve the originals for her photocopy - always keep copies! The office manager would say she was going to call me back and never did. The principal couldn't answer my questions either. I ended up having to contact the district a few times just to get questions answered about the schedule! Seriously? I don't have high hopes for my daughter's kindergarten experience here, if even the office staff and principal don't know what's going on and lose documentation. Staffing issues always trickle downward.

My son attended Hueneme Elementary this last fall. His teacher is amazing (single handedly the best teacher he has ever had) and the AR reader program is fantastic. We moved from a school district that had some of the highest "ranked" schools in the nation. Heuneme elementary is far more open to parents coming in and helping out. There so many smart kids. His teachers ensures that kids are taught at the right level.

The staff is rude in the front office. They are even meaner to the students when parents are not around! I am glad I moved my kids from there. I wish I did it sooner. Some of the teachers are clueless and can't control their classroom. Other's are mean and should not be working with kids.

Worst experience ever. My Kindergartener only lasted half the year before I pulled him. Teacher was mean and unfeeling. The only field trip he ever went on was to the police station where he told me they put them in a jail cell and took a picture. Totally innapropriate for a kindergarten field trip!!!!! Principal seems clueless to what her staff is really like and the old lady running the front office is RUDE. I expect ' May I help you' when I walk in not 'What do you want.' Don't waste your time here. I won't even get into the academics, just look up the scores for this school and that should tell you something.

This school is horrible. The parents and kids barely speak English. The office staff is rude and always assumes you know spanish so they never speak English unless spoken to first. My son went to kindergarten here and it was the worst. I'm glad we were able to transfer to a school this year under the no child left behind act. I taught my son everything he needed to know to pass into 1st grade. The language in the United States is English so why is this school catering to kids who speak spanish? If they don't know the language, then they need to make sure they can get some classes in it before starting school. It doesn't help when the parents refuse to learn English. All handouts are in spanish. They even have teachers that know spanish and will speak to the parents in spanish. How is this educating our children if the adults won't speak English? Most schools in the area are the same way.

My nieces, nephews, children and friends children have been attending this school through generations. Teachers are excellent, attentive and truly give 110% throughout the years. Kids that attend have not been unruly or ghetto (excuse the term). Just kids. Assortment of different races personalities and open minds. Came in with intra-district transfer. Wouldn't recommend any other.

I have mixed reviews about this school. I grew up in Hueneme, even went here myself as a child. As a parent, I really don't like the district in general. The school itself is what you make of it. The so-called GATE program leaves much to be desired and I agree with some of the other reviews about the attention being paid to the non-English speaking students. It's that way district wide though, so what can you expect? The principal and most of the teachers are really fantastic, if you stay in touch with them about your child's needs. Overall, it's one of the best in the district but be prepared to put in a lot of time that the school does not provide.

My two boys went to this school for the last three years. And yes they did have plenty of homework, dress code, but that should be a good thing. Right know we live in Daytona Beach FL. and my youngest doesn't bring any homework home. I had to buy my kids Activity books to do at home. We miss Hueneme elem. very much and all the teachers. Especially the A.R. reading program which the current school my kids go to don't have.

As a parent, be prepared to spend a lot of time helping your child with their homework. The school is very picky about dress code and appearance. No boys with long hair or dirty clothes.

My daughter has attended this school from k-5th. She has excelled in many of her subjects, especially math. Parent involvement is the key! Teachers can not be expected to do it all! I have been very happy with the safe, friendly environment this school provides. They have a no-tolerance policy for bullying and it shows. Mrs. Robertson gives positive a lot of positive input to the kids and rewards good graces, reading scores and participation.

Last modified Hueneme Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.