Cordova High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Rancho Cordova

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $140,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted October 21, 2004

My education at Cordova wasn't the best acadeic education I could have gotten. Lots of kids fall through the cracks. But the sheer diversity of the student body is an unbelievable experience, and just about makes up for Cordova's shortcomings. The Cordova students I know where so used to diversity and so resourceful that they did better in college than many people who went to 'better' schools. Cordova looks and sounds like a UN meeting- people from all over the world. Nothing can compare to growing up and learning in that environment. But safety, dicipline and most importantly funding were big problems, despite a very dedicated faculty.

Posted June 2, 2004

A professional educator, I was given the opportunity to visit this school, teach students, and observe faculty in action. This school has extremely serious perpetuating challenges. While rich in student diversity and school history, there is far too much wide-ranging latitude in student expectation and outcomes. This school pretends to play itself as another 'shopping mall high school'; unfortunately, in the process, academic rigorousness is diluted, and integrity of learning is compromised. Too many students are seduced by the multiple-variety, superficial, easy credit, conspicuous consumption classes offered, instead of what they will really need in their future. Cordova's learning academies are great, provided core educational processes are universal. But they aren't. Where other high schools can proudly announce at graduation the college/university, military branch, or other after-graduation step in a students' educational journey, too many Cordova High students blankly wander across the graduation stage to their future of unpreparedness and uncertainty.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 5, 2004

In October 2003 a teacher wrote that; their only complaint is parent involvement. I graduated in 1973 and in those days we had a great parents group. But in 1983 I came back to work with the parents and for the district at CORDOVA and found that with few exceptions I/We were not able to get help from home, or parents. It is not that the school did not try, but, rather parents did not want to 'Get Involved'. this is a very sad comentary for what was once a great school. I am now retired in Florida and still follow Cordova, but, I am dissapointed in the way it has run down, lost student pride, and parent pride. Now is the time for everyone to wake up and pitch in and save our students, our school, and our pride.

Posted March 31, 2004

I am not a Parent but a Alumni for the 2003 class. Cordova is a reat school but has lost its pride. Now, it's time to put money in books and classes than, millions on a football and basketball stadium and gym. And I believe that Teachers and most of all Counselors should be pushing students to achieve more than entering Junior College. That's all teahcers and students want is Junior College. Past three yes 80% of student either entered into a J.C. Or the Army. I played football for four years and basketball. I thought that school was all about sports, but it's not. 'More Money For Schools.'

Posted February 16, 2004

Cordova is a great school, full of diversity and school spirit.The school is quite old and in need of restoration, but schools are meant for learning not for beauty pangents. In my time at Cordova I learned many lessons and skills rarely learned in life. The teachers are fun and disciplined and often become role models for their students. While attending Cordova your child will learn more than math and science they will learn how to interact with a diverse range of people, and gain the skills neccessary to achieve great things in the world.

Posted February 3, 2004

I'm disgusted at all these misguided people who blindly put 5 stars down as their 'opinion'. They're ruining the credibility of those of us who have actually seen nicer schools, and expect a decent education. I spent half of my time at school in the San Juan District. When I was forced to go to this excuse for a school, I was and still am appalled. Is Cordova a diverse school? yes. Do we have great teachers? sure. But to say that it's enjoyable or even mildly pleasant?! I have been more emotionally scarred at this campus than I have at home!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 6, 2004

Cordova is a wonderful high school. Which is full of spirit, discipline, and love. As a member of the schools marching band I think that we are one of the most unified schools around. Yeah the school is old, but the campus is beautiful. We have an awesome football program, and the teachers are incredible.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 27, 2003

I have to carry books back and forth every day because my fellow students take it upon themselves to vandalize the books supplied to us.

Posted October 30, 2003

As a teacher, I am proud to be a Lancer. If I would have a complaint, it'd be parent involvement. I work with the teachers and see what they do, and I see what some parents don't do. What a diverse crowd of down to earth students, an excellent football team, and a continuous upgrade of an already beautiful campus.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 14, 2003

What has happend to our great school? I went to Cordova High and graduated in 1987. Cordova High was rated one of the best schools in the Sacramento area. My child now attends Cordova High School which is rated very, very poorly. Our school class rooms look outdated, old and rundown. We have very low test scores. The principal, counslers and teachers seem very slow at handling everyday questions let alone problems. We need better leadership at Cordova. Parents need to get involved. We need to take back our Cordova Lancer pride and make our school a better place for our children.

Posted October 10, 2003

Cordova is the best high school in Sacramento!

Posted September 18, 2003

This school has a problem with the vice principals and the security staff yelling at students. The security staff are a big joke and the people in charge let them get away with yelling and using profane language at the students.

Posted September 15, 2003

This school is so worried about the baddies it just lacks focus on the over all well being of the entire school. Please get this school some help. And some good nurses,and counselors there seems to be a couple of personnal who are questionable.

Posted September 9, 2003

I went to Cordova High myself, and I love that school, it is absolutely the best! GO LANCERS!

Posted September 3, 2003

My daughter went to Cordova in her freshman year and I have to say it was one of the worst experiences she has ever had. Fights, teacher not knowing their own subject matter. She watched more movies in her classes than I let her watch at home. She is now in her second week at her new high school and she feels safe and challenged.

Posted August 26, 2003

I am a graduate of Cordova High School the class of 79. I just want to say that my 3 years at Cordova were the best! I would not have had the same experience at any other high school. The class of 79 had so much spirit and the rallies were a highlight of each and every game! The teachers enlightened our day with their talents of teaching and some even added a little humor. I would also like to add that we had the best football team in northern California. GO LANCERS! I am proud to be a Cordova High School graduate as well as my brother and sister, class of 81 and 83. I can only wish that every student that goes to Cordova or who attended Cordova High has or had the same experience that I had.

Posted April 22, 2003

This is the best school my children ever went to. I am glad that they decidet to go to CHS. It opened so much to them, it has everything they need, and they have the greatest teachers. Also, the program is great in CHS and it has wonderful extracurricular activities. What would my son do without football program?

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

201 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

389 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

434 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

380 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

374 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

375 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students4%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)63%
Parent education - college graduate58%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate53%
Parent education - declined to state50%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students5%

Parent education - college graduate51%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate79%
Parent education - declined to state32%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

411 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

406 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students76%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 11%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 4%N/A55%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Mills Middle School
Mitchell Middle School
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher experience

• Drama

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Ptsa, band boosters, site council, alumni association are a few of our many support groups. parents and community members regularly attend school events, sporting events, musical and drama presentations. the non-profit rancho cordova sports club runs our snack bar and assists at games, taking tickets, running the score clock, etc. the business community assists with career day, internships for students, scholarships, etc.