Rudecinda Sepulveda Dodson Middle School

Public | 6-8

Living in Rancho Palos...

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $843,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted August 11, 2014

I went to this school from 2009-2012, which is not too long ago and my opinion can still be pretty up to date. I really loved coming to this school because it's a school where everyone feels welcomed and you get support from some. As I was in 6th grade, I was in the SAS Gifted program and I loved it! It was great. Then 7th and 8th grade I was switched into the Magnet Program and it was pretty good, too. I learned a lot in school, but not enough to go into high school. I was doing poorly when I got into the Magnet Program. I not only was bullied in those two years(I always went to my counselor to speak about the bullying but nobody ever heard me!!) but also my counselor told me that because of how poor I was doing, she didn't think I would graduate high school. That really made me lose hope and I stopped trying completely in school. Overall, I loved this school because of the amazing teachers, especially the choir teacher Mrs. Pelletier. Dodson is a great school, but it does have its flaws.

Posted March 29, 2014

I am an alumni student from Dodson and I also was bussed in from Wilmington. I went on to graduate from HS and college with my BA and now my daughter is a 7th grader at Dodson. I chose to not have her bussed in. I make the drive everyday before and after school because I didnt want her to be labled as a WILMINGTON kid as I was. Because of that I did experience some problems with the kids from Pedro. So to those who say the Wilmington kids are bad Im here to say Pedro has bad apples too! Matter of fact my cousin who attended Dodson with me was a Pedro student and she was the one who chose to ditch and by the way got caught. I on the other hand never ditched. SO with that I am here to say its not the school who produces bad students. Its the parents. If us parents dont instill in our kids a passion to learn and if we dont motivate and encourage them, then how can we expect them to get good grades, choose not to ditch, and succeed. Teachers are given a classroom of children that are products of us parents. My daughter is in Magnet, straight A's, involved in leadership and she has friends from both Wilmington and San Pedro.

Posted March 10, 2014

Dodson is an AMAZING SCHOO. I am an eighth grader (class of 2014) and honestly this school is a great fit for me. Yes, some kids being bussed cause problems, but not all. There are problems at all schools. In comparison to my home school (Curtiss middle school) Dodson is completely safe. I totally disagree with the comments on the kids from the housing project. The teachers are very effective. The ONLY thing i didn't like was the physical education was mainly based off of running. I would DEFINITELY recommend this school. - Submitted by a student

Posted June 29, 2013

First of all, the comments in reference to children from Wilmington or from the housing project are ridiculous. My son is fortunate to know students from various areas of the South Bay. If you are a parent that is fully aware of your child's schedule, activities your child will do well (isn't that what we do anyway). Dodson teachers use technology to enhance learning - thank goodness. That is a trend that is isn't going away. I personally am proud that my son is exposed to subject matter he gets now, instead of when I got it in college. Allow your child to be challenged now. Middle school does not count towards college (sorry it doesn't - don't tell your child), Prep for high school in organizational skills is what they will primarily get. One big negative is the principal needs more experience in developing a relationship with parents. I want anticipatory guidance regarding my child's academic experience. I want to be called when it is appropriate. Perhaps if they developed a web based general question message board on the home page. There access to frequently asked questions/concerns - a parent could start a dialog with their child to enhance the middle school expeience.

Posted August 12, 2012

First and foremost, this school is completely overrated! It is a beautiful- looking school in a nice/quiet area, but one of the problems is too many"badly behaved" kids from areas such as Wilmington and other areas being bused into the school. Additionally, project housing is within walking distance and there are quite a few "badly behaved" kids that attend from there as well. I know that not all kids are bad from these areas. The (new) Principal severely lacks in experience, people skills, teaching knowledge, vision, and seems to have obtained the position based on connections. When fights do occur at this school, they are minimized and put in hush mode( as if they never happened) instead of having assemblies to combat them. The assistant principals are good and there are some good teachers, but there are some that need to leave the profession, due to lack of concern/care for students and using constant "drill seargant" teaching methods. It seems that only the gifted program is the only thing lifting up overall test scores...API, etc. Beware! A completely overrated school.

Posted August 10, 2012

this school is really good my child came here and she never had problems good job!

Posted September 1, 2011

I graduated from this school in 2007. At the time I thought it was a lame school but once I went to a really bad high school, I realized how awesome this place was. Not only is the surrounding area quiet and nice, but the staff is good too. I think the only problem are some students that come from Wilmington or other areas, they don't take much seriously. The drama program is one of the best, every play we put on was a success, but our teacher was very.... out there. This is a good school though, and the magnet program is the best. It's a real challenge, I got more work here than I did in high school.

Posted August 22, 2011

Some of the teachers are qualified, but most just talk a good game. Administration doesn't care too much about the students as long as they don't cause a stir.

Posted April 12, 2010

I didn't like Dodson at all! I had trouble there alot , i tried asking the counselors for help and they NEVER helped me. There are way to many fights and to many people smoking weed on the field. I couldnt even finish the wrest of my 7th grade year there! People think it's the best school cuz its in RPV but it's not. The sixth grade teachers are very very nice but not the seventh and eigth. I do not and will not recomened Dodson to anyone. I feel sorry for all my friends still there.

Posted June 29, 2009

The gifted program stresses more on quantity of work rather than quality or challenge. Sixth grade was an enormous work load of busy work; nothing much gifted about it. Excellent drama program, just have to deal with an overly dramatic teacher. Seventh and eighth grade settle down a bit in terms of work load. Excellent trip to Yosemite in the winter for a week.Administrators have a difficult time dealing with students with special needs.

Posted April 27, 2009

Dodson has had the most positive impact on my life. The magnet program is amazing and it really taught me to be independent. It's beautiful campus and remarkable, experienced system was a surprise to me. I didn't want to go to this school, but i can't imagine how my life would be like if i didn't. I'm overly grateful for Dodson's existance and I really don't know how dumb i would be if I went to my homeschool.

Posted October 2, 2008

I'm a student here and i think no i know that it is a great school

Posted August 22, 2008

Dodson is not the school you think it is. Parent's beware the school is far from perfect and I don't know how it received the score it did. The previous ratings must have been written by teachers. If you are not a straight A student, the school can't help you get there. If your child has an incident at the school be prepared for the Administrative staff to turn their head the other way. Let me just get to the point, your child must be an A+ student with outside help. Dodson teachers are on a freight train of teaching and they will not stop to help. If you not know the work forget about it. The help, care, and attention is just not there. It's just another poor LAUSD SCHOOL, that's been over-rated!

Posted August 9, 2008

As a former student of Dodson Middle School, I would have to say that this has been the best school I have attended so far in my academic career. Dodson provided me the foundation I needed not only to excel in high school but also in college (UC Berkeley). I learned how to study, what to study and even learned how to play the clarinet! While in Dodson although I struggled (because of the course load and the intensity of the gifted magnet program), I came out greatly prepared for high school. I am very grateful for Dodson Middle School; it has helped to make me who I am today.

Posted April 3, 2008

We're a military family living in San Pedro's USAF housing and have a son attending Dodson. The school structure, like most in this district, is old & worn with 'temporary' buildings from the 1960's. The best situation for your child at this school is placement in the gifted program, and then being placed in the top tier of this program (they select the top 40 math students in the 6th grade to start Pre-Algebra). The two core/block teachers for the Pre-Algebra designated 6th graders are outstanding. To our amazement our son has had a wonderful experience and thrived this school year. Since the 'gifted' classification and high math scores open the best doors in the Los Angeles Unified School District, I suggest enrolling your children in a Kumon or similar extra-curricular math center if you anticipate being stationed in the Los Angeles area.

Posted December 23, 2007

I'm a student her at Dodson and I like it a lot. My only problem is that some of the teachers don't give you a chance to get better,they point a finger at you.I love participating in all the activities they have during school and after like:drama,dance,cheer,running,football,music,chorus,and art.I love Dodson because now I understand science more than anything.

Posted December 5, 2007

Dodson has its achievements and shortcomings. Some teachers set a reasonable, swift pace in covering the criteria. However, not all the teachers are so forthcoming. Some lag and drag at the information, which causes students to forget the material. Yet others do not explain the material well at all, and are puzzles why their students receive such low marks.

Posted May 8, 2006

I think that Dodson needs a better reading program. A program like Fleming Middle school has. Power reading programs teach the kids to appreciate reading and promotes good writing habits. A must at Dodson. I am considering pulling my son out of Dodson for this reason. The concern of the leadership at Dodson is very low. Especially when it comes to warning signs of bad behavior from a child. The teachers call the parents but the counselors do not return calls or show up to meeting when asked. There is no time to help parents solve problems that your child is having in class. Kids and parent needs are not met.

Posted April 18, 2006

Excellent free public school. A little crowded, however the quality of education among achools in the same level in superior. Very good music department. Music teacher has a personal relationship with all music students.

Posted March 19, 2006

My son attended Dodson, and he liked it there very much. The teachers seemed good and eager to teach.

This school's
API score

854

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

538 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

539 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

626 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

569 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

369 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

556 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

n/a

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

575 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

557 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students73%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)68%
Parent education - college graduate83%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate76%
Parent education - declined to state65%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students21%

White (not Hispanic)n/a
Economically disadvantagedn/a
Non-economically disadvantagedn/a
Students with disabilityn/a
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
Fluent-English proficient and English onlyn/a
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - not a high school graduaten/a
Parent education - high school graduaten/a
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)n/a

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 2081 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options