Soleado Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 445 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 31, 2013

Soleado is a lovely school if your child is above grade level. With the exception of one first-grade teacher, Burson, no one appears to know how to differentiate learning. As a former reading teacher and a classroom teacher with a master's degree, It is disheartening to see my grandchild being pidgeon-holed by a teacher who is new to a grade level who is very defensive and probably just holding her head above water. This seems to be a wasted year.

Posted September 12, 2013

Currently, all 3 of children attend Soleado. It is a fantastic school and I could not be happier. The teachers are really caring educators that bring out the best in my children. My children have all had wonderful teachers. I'm saddened to read some of the negative remarks about the former principal. I know he is a caring administrator and great educational leader, in fact the best I've ever encountered. Furthermore, I was very disappointed that he has moved on to be principal of Miraleste instead of Ridgecrest where my children will be moving on to after Soleado. My children are happy and learning. I hope that funding remains available to continue the music, art, and phys ed. programs. Again, this is a fantastic school and should be the benchmark for elementary education.

Posted June 16, 2013

We just finished our second year at Soleado. This is a high achieving school with a very diverse student body. Teachers are very dedicated. Principal is involved in everything from quality of teaching to greeting everyone and being involved with all school activities. Parents are very involved. Everyone works together well making it a warm and supportive environment for the kids. We feel blessed to be in this school.

Posted May 21, 2013

I've heard this is a great school. I agree to sign in for this school. I will become a teacher for this school too. I am very excited.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 11, 2013

This is such a great school, the principal is great and really involved in the school, with the parents and the students. My daughter is in Kindergarten and she LOVES it!! The teachers are really patient and experienced.

Posted September 24, 2012

I could not be happier that my child attends Soleado. The Principle, Mr. Allen, is an amazing leader and a great role model for the students. He inspires teachers, students and parents. In fact, many of the teachers in the district do their best to send their own children to Soleado. The academic standards are excellent; the moral and ethical codes of the school are excellent. We have had an amazing few years at Soleado and look forward to more. i am shocked to hear of the negative review below, but based on the author's vitriolic attitude, which is not a reflection of the culture at the School, I imagine there is another side to the story. Regardless, I could not be more pleased to have my child be a part of the Soleado community.

Posted September 5, 2012

The principle is very disrespectful . His name is Mr Allen. Get a new principle !

Posted September 5, 2012

Reality check, and I'll also speak for those parents who have even shared negative disappointing comments with me about Soleado, except they wont speak up 'against' this supposedly high rated school, NOT! I had to UN-enroll one of my kids, not because he was bad but because he was bored, not learning to his capacity. Teachers tend to complain to parents a lot, which means teachers cant handle the situations or learning problems that arise. The principal has had the nerve to call me for very inappropriate insinuations and personal matters which have wasted my time several times. I have reached my last nerve with his uncalled for attitude, hence I've taken the time to finally give this real review. He seems to have been offended or taken my child's removal from 'HIS' school too personally. Don't be fooled, he may seem nice and geeky but he definitely is annoying in a discrete manner. This school tries too hard with its image because underneath it all that's all it is, IMAGE. But I understand parents here have to pride themselves with the school their children are required to attend. Yes its RPV, I did expect quality w/humility but hopefully Soleado realizes its not just about IMAGE!

Posted June 6, 2012

I have 6 children and moved around a bit due to my husbands military duty. So I have experience as a mom of a WIDE range of elementary schools over the last 25 years, including private schools. THIS school is by far my favorite. The teachers are all deeply passionate about what they do and love their job....you see it in every single thing that every single one of them do! The Principle, Kevin Allen, is by far the most involved, caring, passionate and motivated leader I have ever come across. They all work as a family and strive to make sure that every single child is getting exactly what they need--AND--in a safe, kind environment teaching, through integrated programs and principles, important life lessons, values, morals, compassion and kindness as well to their students every single day. The parents are deeply involved and excited to participate strengthening everything else that is going on as well. All of that makes an enormously beautiful school and experience for the children, parents and staff as well. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. !!!!!!

Posted May 2, 2012

We moved to Palos Verdes specifically for the schools and could not be happier with Soleado. We've been a Soleado family for five years and have two children here. The teachers and staff are caring and attentive. There are numerous levels of learning for all types of students. Whether a student needs further challenges, a little push or a lot more help to get up to grade level, this is a place that focuses on every child, not just the top or bottom learners. In addition, I have found the parent community very supportive and friendly, which is much appreciated for a two-worker family with no family/nanny support. Finally, as someone of multi-ethnic background who grew up in mid-LA, I get that Soleado is not some people's ideal of a "diverse" school. But be realistic; you're looking at RPV, not LA. According to 2010 census data, RPV is 62% Caucasian, 29% Asian, 8.5% Hispanic and 2.4% African-American. By comparison, Soleado is very diverse. Not to mention, "diverse" comes in many forms. Not all Asians, for example, are the same. To me, what matters more than the statistics is how Soleado teaches tolerance, kindness and acceptance.

Posted April 26, 2012

My daughter attended Rancho Vista last year, and although it is also a good school, Soleado is superior! For starters, the principal is fantastic! I like how he takes the time to get to know each child. The teachers are also wonderful. The classroom architecture creates a feeling of unity and the teachers work together as a team. I only wish that the Yard Duty staff was more helpful when it comes to conflict resolution during recess. This is one area in which Rancho Vista excelled.

Posted January 16, 2012

I went to this school from 3rd grade through 5th. I am now 21 and in my 4th year of college. I loved this school. The teachers and staff were always kind and welcoming-of course there was drama with the other girls, but that's a given. Whenever I had any drama with the other kids, I always asked a teacher or the principal for help and they ALWAYS made things better. I cannot emphasize how much I grew from attending Soleado, how much I learned, and more! Truth be told, I only remember the 50 states because of a song we were taught in "Big Room"! If I could, I would give Soleado 100 stars :)

Posted October 3, 2011

I have a 3rd grader and kindergartener at Soleado - my 3rd grader has attended the school since D-K. My wife and I moved to the Palos Verdes area because of the schools and we couldn't be happier with Soleado.The principal, Mr. Allen, is highly involved and truly cares for the kids. I think he knows every child's name - how many schools can say that??? The diverse backgrounds of the students at the school has been a fantastic influence on our children. Additionally, the teachers are wonderful - positive, caring, motivating! it is evident from how much my kids love school and enjoy learning that they are doing lots of things right at Soleado and that we made the right choice in sending our kids there.

Posted August 24, 2011

I am a fifth grade teacher at Soleado Elementary School. I have taught there for four years and I love it. I was sad to see the review from a parent saying the school is terrible. To anyone who reads that, take your time to come in to our school and get to know the staff. We do believe in diversity and in making school a positive and engaging experience for all of our kids. I love my students and I know they love me!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 24, 2011

I am shocked at the comment that cultural diversity is a lie at Soleado. While the plurality is comprised of Asians (45%), 35% are caucasians, Latinos are 5%, African Americans are 4%, Filipinos are 2% and multiple races about 9%. At least a dozen languages are spoken by the families and students in the school and there is a good mix of people from varying ethnicities. I have a 4th grader at Soleado and my son who is now in 8th grade completed his elementary education there. Both my children have received excellent education from teachers who are extremely competent and deeply care about their students, and the principal and his staff are absolutely wonderful!

Posted February 15, 2011

too many negatives to list. 2nd and third grade teachers are the only positives here. Prides itself on cultural diversity, which is a lie. Don't let the smiles and the sales pitch fool you.

Posted September 16, 2009

my grandaughter is a student there and she loves her school...she has had good and really great teachers....the principal is the most involved and dedicated I have ever seen....

Posted September 16, 2009

I love my daughter's school Soleado Elementary for so many reasons. I guess the first and foremost is it's principal Mr. Kevin Allen. He greets the children and parents always with friendliness, energy, and compassion. His positive energy is so enjoyable. The teachers are also exceptional! Every teacher we have had so far has been fantastic. Soleado is a lovely little school tucked into a lovely little neighborhood. The students/families comprise of a nice mixture of ethnicities and economic backgrounds, which makes us all very diverse. Everyone really works together nicely to get everything needed for our children. Soleado is a great place!

Posted June 21, 2009

My first second grade children came to Soleado at the end of the last quarter. After attending a private school in Diamond Bar, CA. they have grown so much in that short period of time. They feel accepted by their peers and loved by their teachers and the Principle. I'm so glad I made the move that at first appeared to be drastic. Thank You Soleado for being a great transition for my little ones.

Posted April 29, 2009

Great school with great staff.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students90%

• Gina Stutzel
Fax number
  • (310) 544-0916

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now