Posted April 20, 2015
I have to be careful with my words, as someone repeatedly flags my reviews. This school is a disappointment. My biggest complaints are: The day is too long (7:50-3pm for all grade levels including kinder) Vice Principal is harsh and unkind to most children Academics are sub-par compared to the public schools in Palos Verdes Children are not well prepared to transfer to the local high schools class sizes are larger than the public school playground is tiny and all of the kids wind up running around on black asphalt and a muddy grassy area Most teachers are NOT credentialed No resource room or resources for any special needs. Plays to the middle, no help for children falling behind and no help for gifted children needing a challenge BULLIES are allowed depending on who their parents are. If this gets flagged, i will just have to continue to repost. It is important for the public to know about this school. The point of a review site is to see all points of views and all experiences. Once person reposting over and over on the same date to get a higher star rating should be flagged.
5 people found this helpful

Posted March 11, 2015
St. John Fisher is a FANTASTIC school! I am so happy to have my kids there. The academics are rigorous, the extracurriculars ample, and the athletics are competitive. Most of all, having my kids in a safe, warm, family atmosphere that is super nourishing and attentive gives me great peace of mind. St. john Fisher gets 5 stars hands down.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 10, 2015
I can't say enough wonderful things about St. John Fisher. We moved my son last year from another Catholic School in the area and have been nothing but pleased with the principal, the staff and the teachers! Mrs. Hudani is one of the most hands-on principals I have ever met. I, too, am a teacher, so I have seen many principals in my lifetime. She is caring, nurturing, and has an open-door policy with the kids during school. If there is a problem, she is there to help solve it! Her presence is known and the kids feel comfortable with her! The staff is just so welcoming! I love having to go to the office! Joanne and Diane are so upbeat and happy. Even if you have a simple question or request they are all smiles! The teachers care about every student and they actually care about one another!!!! They are polite and kind and respectful of one another and of the students in each class! When I drop off my son to school, he is all smiles; and when I pick him up it is the same!!! My family feels so blessed to have found a school that promotes moral values as well as provides an excellent education. We have a lot of great schools on the hill, but my #1 choice is SJF all the way!!!
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 10, 2015
After attending SJF for grades K-8 our daughter was well prepared for public high school. She had many opportunities to develop leadership and public speaking skills which she has already put to use at the high school as a member of Associated Student Council. She is seen as a difference maker, as someone who gives back to her community and enjoys her life as a student athlete. I highly recommend this school to parents looking for an affordable private school option with advanced academics.

Posted March 10, 2015
This is our 8th year at SJF. Our son literally grew up here from a very shy 7 year-old boy, SJF has nurtured him to be the confident, God-loving, knowledge-seeking, creative-thinking young man he is today. He had just been accepted to three highly- coveted high schools with very rigorous admissions standards. Students have consistently scored high in standardized tests in Reading, Language and Math: the 5th through 8th Graders composite cores are usually 3 to 4 years above their grade levels! This current year alone, the eighth grade scores are among the top ten percent in the nation once again. The 8th grade students are performing at a grade level of 11 and above. My family has nothing but great experience at SJF. Of course there are days when my son wants to pull his hair out because of the rigorous requirements by hey, that s how he got to be where he is and that experience is going to take him to more successes.

Posted March 10, 2015
We looked all over the South Bay for the best school for our one and only child -- that was 9 years ago. We have no regret whatsoever for choosing SJF. Small classroom, warm, caring family-like atmosphere where students feel safe, secure, and comfortable. They are taught to care for one another within and outside the classroom. One of my favorite programs is the Family Groups where each group consists of a student from each grade. The groups stay intact through their life at SJF they pray, do service projects together, have fun together. It is so amazing to see how each child progresses through the years, at first being the one cared for by the older kids growing into the role of loving leaders within the group. Another favorite is the Science Buddy where an 8th Grader partners with a 1st Grader in exploring science. One can only marvel at how the little ones look up to the older kids as they share their love of science.

Posted February 09, 2015
We will not be returning to this school next year. Many reasons for this that we will not post Main reason is that most teachers lack credentials. Bullying is a big problem here for kids and parents. Children are ill prepared socially, emotionally, and academically for high school. Lower level is ok (k-3 is very good) Middle school is lacking. Previous reviews have been removed so I will not go into details.
7 people found this helpful

Posted February 01, 2015
I would like to refute the pervious posting, on Jan. 31st 2015. My children have been at St John Fisher school for six years. During this time, they have experienced nothing but a loving and supportive community. Mrs. Hudani is willing to go above and beyond for the children and for her staff. The academics have been consistently high and the principles of the PV public high schools praise the graduates of St John Fisher School. Spanish is taught once a week, not once a month by a parent who is also a credentialed teacher-I know this because I asked! The staff is well qualified and experienced. I leave my children at school everyday knowing that they are going to be safe and taken care of, not just academically but also spiritually-which are the three most important things for me. Overall, I recommend this school for families who want their children to grow as well-rounded individuals ready for high school!

Posted November 03, 2014
I hear parents say that St. John Fisher is a hidden "jewel." Why do people feel that way? When you arrive on campus you are greeted by responsible middle school students. These students hold themselves with confidence and poise. It is such a refreshing environment. Campus life begins the moment every class gathers in the courtyard to pray. All I can say is "breathtaking!" To see the respect and reverence the children have is something else. The kids are dressed in uniform looking just as you would want a kid to look. The student council is a bright and exciting bunch who lead the morning activities. It is so happy and spirited! Academic excellence is here! Imagine having your 7th grader score as a 12+ grader for their overall standardized test score. That is the "WOW" factor this school offers. Teachers and staff can be proud of all that they do for our kids. The sports teams, spirit squad, choir and drama programs are top notch! It is obvious from the start that something special is happening at this school and we are so blessed and grateful to be a part of it.
5 people found this helpful

Posted October 02, 2014
The quality of the school is going down. Mrs. Hudani (principal) was able to bring the school into a better position years ago but unfortunately, she is human and plays politics and favorites. More and more incompetent teachers. Science fair projects are being pushed so the school can compete at the L.A. Science fair and make the school look good (based on a select number of students whose parents are doing the project). Meanwhile the actual science curriculum is being placed in the back burner until Feb. She is also powerless or unwilling to fight for the parish school when it comes to pressuring for use of the common places like the gym and Barrett Hall. So much drama in this school it is pathetic. The bigger donors for the parish act like they're stockholders and the PTA is just a puppet to please the principal. They need a serious look at their slogan because they only care for a few.This will be my last year, I am taking my kids to another parish school.
10 people found this helpful

St. John Fisher Elementary School
5446 Crest Road, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA  90275
Last modified St. John Fisher Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St. John Fisher Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top