Posted February 09, 2015
We will not be returning to this school next year. Many reasons for this that we will not post Main reason is that most teachers lack credentials. Bullying is a big problem here for kids and parents. Children are ill prepared socially, emotionally, and academically for high school. Lower level is ok (k-3 is very good) Middle school is lacking. Previous reviews have been removed so I will not go into details.

Posted February 01, 2015
I would like to refute the pervious posting, on Jan. 31st 2015. My children have been at St John Fisher school for six years. During this time, they have experienced nothing but a loving and supportive community. Mrs. Hudani is willing to go above and beyond for the children and for her staff. The academics have been consistently high and the principles of the PV public high schools praise the graduates of St John Fisher School. Spanish is taught once a week, not once a month by a parent who is also a credentialed teacher-I know this because I asked! The staff is well qualified and experienced. I leave my children at school everyday knowing that they are going to be safe and taken care of, not just academically but also spiritually-which are the three most important things for me. Overall, I recommend this school for families who want their children to grow as well-rounded individuals ready for high school!

Posted January 31, 2015
Bullies are celebrated at this school. As long as you donate to the school and the church, your actions do not matter. This is a very small school so i tis difficult for nice kids to find a group of friends. Academics are subpar, most teachers do not have credentials. Also, they claim to be a Blue Ribbon school. In order to be Blue Ribbon they have to offer a language. They get by this rule by having a parent teach Spanish 1x a month.... Many things about this school I find to be unethical.
6 people found this helpful

Posted November 03, 2014
I hear parents say that St. John Fisher is a hidden "jewel." Why do people feel that way? When you arrive on campus you are greeted by responsible middle school students. These students hold themselves with confidence and poise. It is such a refreshing environment. Campus life begins the moment every class gathers in the courtyard to pray. All I can say is "breathtaking!" To see the respect and reverence the children have is something else. The kids are dressed in uniform looking just as you would want a kid to look. The student council is a bright and exciting bunch who lead the morning activities. It is so happy and spirited! Academic excellence is here! Imagine having your 7th grader score as a 12+ grader for their overall standardized test score. That is the "WOW" factor this school offers. Teachers and staff can be proud of all that they do for our kids. The sports teams, spirit squad, choir and drama programs are top notch! It is obvious from the start that something special is happening at this school and we are so blessed and grateful to be a part of it.

Posted October 27, 2014
St. John Fisher prepared my daughter for public high school. She is taking several honors classes in her Freshman year and is doing exceptionally well. The grading scale at the school is higher than the public school standards ex: 92% is a B+ at SJF so the area high schools in both PV and Torrance are always happy to have well prepared SJF students enroll in their schools. I would highly recommend SJF for families looking for an affordable private school education.

Posted October 02, 2014
The quality of the school is going down. Mrs. Hudani (principal) was able to bring the school into a better position years ago but unfortunately, she is human and plays politics and favorites. More and more incompetent teachers. Science fair projects are being pushed so the school can compete at the L.A. Science fair and make the school look good (based on a select number of students whose parents are doing the project). Meanwhile the actual science curriculum is being placed in the back burner until Feb. She is also powerless or unwilling to fight for the parish school when it comes to pressuring for use of the common places like the gym and Barrett Hall. So much drama in this school it is pathetic. The bigger donors for the parish act like they're stockholders and the PTA is just a puppet to please the principal. They need a serious look at their slogan because they only care for a few.This will be my last year, I am taking my kids to another parish school.
7 people found this helpful

Posted August 30, 2014
This school breeds bullies & very mean kids, because there are two sets of rules . . . one for the bullies and one for the rest of the kids. Because of that most kids turn out broken and mean. Its sad.
7 people found this helpful

Posted August 09, 2014
In an environment that is supposed to support learning and the philosophy to love and serve the Lord and one another, they are failing. They aren t creating an open, supportive, fun learning environment that all parents want for their children. The school prides itself on winning the Blue Ribbon Award back in 2010 which is a great accomplishment, but how the school administers work to the students is painful. The school has many on line tools but doesn t require the teachers to use these tools so homework is given by some teachers verbally, some on a black board in which the kids are expected to write it in their agenda, some is given via their on line portal called SchoolSpeak. Because there is no consistency, kids are often lost on what is due and when and an enormous amount of time is spent managing the HW, (calling other students, etc) vs doing the work. Teachers change dates of tests constantly and do not coordinate with other teachers on when big assignments or tests are given, so studying is done too early or you end up with 4 tests on one day. When brought up the schools attitude is that s life and not what you would expect.
9 people found this helpful

Posted May 27, 2014
SJF is amazing and Mrs. Gradoville in 3rd grade is the best teacher I have come across in my sons schooling and my own. This schools ability to work with all different types of children, teaching them to be great students and also great human beings is far superior to any other school in the area. The kids are kind, the teachers are loving and the principal is the perfect combination of firm and friendly. I love having uniforms and look forward to all 3 of my children going to this school.

Posted April 14, 2014
St. John Fisher is such an amazing school! Our son moved his 5th grade year from another school in the area and we couldn't be happier with the academics, the teachers, the principal, the great families, etc... I could go on and on. Our son is a completely different kid, because of the warm, encouraging, stable environment at SJF. I thank Mrs. Hudani for running such an incredible school. There is a saying... "Your school is only as strong as your principal". In this case, I can attest that Mrs. Hudani is more than just strong... she is loving, caring, kind, firm, and fair. If you are looking for a school that encourages every child to be who they are and excel at what they are gifted with, then this is the school for you! Every child has a place at SJF, whether you are an actor, an athlete, a musician, or a scholar there is a place for you here. I am forever grateful that we were lead to SJF. Our decision to move our son to SJF has altered his life and who he eventually will become.

St. John Fisher Elementary School
5446 Crest Road, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA  90275
Last modified St. John Fisher Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St. John Fisher Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top