Mariposa Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 570 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 12, 2014

My son and daughter have attended for one year, this school is amazing! The Principal Mr.B knows every single child. He is very involved with his school and takes a lot of pride in running it as well. I am always informed of what is going on with the school, by email, automated voice messages, teachers, memos and flyers. I can really see the difference in my son and daughter with the level of academics. My daughter is in Transitional kindergarten and she is at the level of a 2nd grader. My son came from Smiley school in Redlands (yes a great school ) except Mariposa is a 10 and it shows in the grades, school, teachers and staff! I am so proud of my kids school. This is why my husband and I made the sacrifice to buy a house within the Mariposa district (right down the street). What can I ask for a school with a TOP TEN RATING and amazing neighborhood, Jewel of the Inland Empire!!!!!! Regards, Esmeralda Rendon

Posted August 18, 2013

This is our fourth year here at Mariposa Elementary in Redlands! We were excited and emotional as we felt we won the lotto upon entering kindergarten. We have not been disappointed. Our son is now in third grade and the atmosphere here is one of a family. A true genuine welcome back from other parents, staff and admin. after summer vacation. The educational curriculum and rigor have always met or exceeded our expectations. The children are held to high standards and that is what sets them above the best. At Back-To-School Night we heard that Mariposa was recognized nationally for their awesome PTA. Home and school partnership are truly exemplary here at Mariposa! It is a great feeling to send our son to school everyday knowing that he is in a safe and a very well loved place! Mr. "B" and his staff: clerical, custodial and certificated really make Mariposa a wonderful place to learn!

Posted August 6, 2013

As an anonymous student who will remain unknown on this site, I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!!!! The teachers are wonderful and will always push you to do your best. The PTA is really awesome. And the principal is perfect, just perfect! We recently won the distinguished school award in 2012 and have gotten the highest CST (California State Test) scores in the district every year for longer than I can remember! We also include the GATE (Gifted And Talented Enrichment/Education) and other great programs. Plus, we have running club, jr. and monarch chourus, YMCA day care, fitness Fridays, fall festival, a Halloween parade, and A-thons to raise money for our school. I highly suggest this school for your child!

Posted June 13, 2013

Mariposa is an awesome school! Fantastic teachers, wonderful principal who knows you by name, and such a positive learning environment. Not only does Mariposa offer strong academics, but here, teachers, staff, and PTA are dedicated, creative, and generous of their resources and time, donating much appreciated after school 'extras' like choir, GATE, run club, garden club, and sports events they are not compensated for due to budget cuts. Our children are fortunate to excel in such a well-rounded educational experience we are grateful for an extraordinary public school like this. Thank you Mariposa!

Posted June 11, 2013

Our family has been at Mariposa for 9 years. How blessed we are!! All nine years have been filled with stellar teachers, a challenging and encouraging learning environment, welcomed volunteering, exposure to the arts, and a great sense of community. The principal has been supportive and is a fearless leader when it comes to leading the teachers and supporting the families during these tough economic times and budget cuts. Our family is honored to be part of the Mariposa Community.

Posted June 6, 2013

This school is AMAZING!!! Teachers are warm and friendly, parents are highly involved and administration is always there to listen. We have attended Mariposa for kindergarten and 1st grade and our child has had the time of his life! We were SO worried about putting our son in public school because we've heard horror stories about all of the education cut backs and how awful schools had become. This school has been able to retain the most amazing teachers and had a very warm attitude through the whole political mess. Our little boy has grown leaps and bounds and never been happier!

Posted June 6, 2013

Mariposa is an outstanding school. I have a third grader and first grader and we all love Mariposa. I'm very impressed with the creativity and initiative the school has instilled in my kids. For example, in my third grader's class project, she had to do the research on European Hornets, make the insect model using natural material, add one more visual aid, choose the related background music (she chose to compose and play her own music.), select costume,and present the report as a character other than a third grader. So this science project actually covered science, visual art, music, performing art, and presentation skills. And the best of all, she did it all by herself, with fun! They do have lots of fun. So far this year, the third grader had musicals, talent shows, many fields trips and parties. The school and PTA sponsored many enrichment activities, e.g.,chorus, band, art , Chinese,fall festival, Reflection, Fitness Friday, and many assemblies. My first grader also loves the school and the teacher. She had grown so much academically and on her independence. And the principal, I'm just amazed that he remembers all student's names! How can we not love Mariposa?

Posted June 4, 2013

Stellar school, super parental support, tremendous teachers, and great administration. Many, many happy parents and kids!!

Posted June 3, 2013

Outstanding job for another wonderful school year. Our 2nd grade teacher was a blessing for our child. He progressed wonderfully throughout the year. We appreciate the time and effort the PTA members, parents, staff, and principal put into this school and each and every child. We are thrilled with the approach to education being taught at Maripose.

Posted June 3, 2013

We could not ask for a better school for our kids. The teachers are top notch and the principal is amazing. He is very involved in everything that goes on at the school, and pays personal attention to each student. There is a real sense of community at the school, and the teachers work hard to meet the individual needs of each student. My family loves Mariposa!

Posted June 3, 2013

"Cheers, Cheers for Mariposa School; we're all a family! The teachers are first-rate and learning is always great! Mariposa School is number one! " This is the beginning of Mariposa's school song, which is song by the whole school every Friday afternoon at flag assembly! We really are one big happy family; the parents are welcomed to volunteer; the office staff is extremely friendly and helpful, and you cant say enough about our Mr. Bohlender -- lovingly nicknamed "Mr. B"! He knows every child by name and cares about all the children. I've even seen him in the pouring rain directing traffic and carrying children through deep puddles! Our school has a wonderful emphasis on the arts, which is so enthusiastically shown in our latest "A-Thon" video, which is posted on our school website. My children will be entering the fifth grade next year and I am very emotional about leaving Mariposa and going to middle school. The memories and experiences my children have from this "Most Distinguished School" will hold a cherished place in my family's heart!

Posted June 3, 2013

What a huge blessing Mariposa has been to our family! When we entered public schools 3 years ago we had no idea that a public school could be so amazing with so much to offer. The principal is an phenomenal administrator who wants the best for each child and does what he can to meet the needs of every family. The teachers are highly trained with many years of experience. It's a happy place all year long that always welcomes parents and family members on campus. There seems to be an open door policy with each staff member, they have been more than accommodating every time I need something. We are thrilled to spend many more years at Mariposa!

Posted June 3, 2013

We have 2 children at Mariposa. When we first moved to Redlands school district from out of state, my first born went to her "assigned school". We were not happy and went school shopping. Mariposa welcomed us when we came to visit the school with open arms and we have had that experience ever since. Are you are interested in a school were the teachers love to teach, the principal is kind, intelligent and caring, and the parents are always welcome? Then this is the school for you!

Posted June 3, 2013

Mariposa is a great school! Everyone in Redlands wants a transfer is their children can attend the best school in the area. There is amazing parent involvement, the PTA is outstanding and our Principal knows each and every child by name. Although Mariposa has high standards for the students, it also promotes the Arts. Every class has the opportunity to perform in a play or music performance. The Office Staff is awesome! Everyone who works at Mariposa strives to make it a positive experience for parents and children alike!

Posted June 3, 2013

Mariposa is the most awesome school we have ever attended. My oldest child attended two private schools in Redlands and when we started at Mariposa I knew I was throwing my money away for all those years. My middle child has just competed the 3rd grade( he has been a member of this school since kindergarten) with the most amazing teacher ever! He has had grown so much this school year it is unbelievable. I will never waste money again on private school tution when we have this amazing school in our neighborhood. I would also like to point out that each and every member of the staff is amazing. Our wonderful principle knows each and every child by name! I couldn't ask for a better education for my children!

Posted June 2, 2013

We had a great experience at Mariposa during Kindergarten. But, jumping to 1st grade, the teacher was a bully and the principal did not correct the situation. In addition to that, I have to say that I was very dismayed that the staff was so so wrapped up in test scores. I received notes and emails about the same upcoming tests (this is 1st grade mind you) and my child received admonishments in class to "study hard for the test." My child developed anxiety over testing at this school. There are more important things to develop in 1st grade than a person's ability to take a test. How about fostering a life long love of learning? There are other schools in Redlands that are great and don't put so much pressure on the little ones to perform. There is a difference between having high expectations, which is fine, and culturing a child to respond to high pressure, which is not.

Posted May 21, 2011

Mariposa is above the rest. My son is in 2nd grade and because he and several classmates are very advanced in math, they created an accelerated 3rd grade math. My son again is in 2nd grade and has already learned division. The teachers are amazing and the Principal is the best there is. The principal knows all the parents and in the mornings he greets everyone and he is always involved in every activity the school is doing.

Posted April 23, 2011

I LOVE MARIPOSA SCHOOL THE TEACHERS ARE 100% COMMITED TO THE STUDENTS. THE PRINCIPAL IS AWESOME. IF YOU LIVE IN THE AREA CONSIDER YOURSELF BLESSED THE GARDENS, TRAILS, CREEK AND MURALS ARE FANTASTIC!

Posted May 11, 2010

I love Mariposa School because they support me in my efforts to raise a conscientious child. The kids get recognized for keeping their school clean. They plant gardens and weed their school campus together. They teach ways to conserve energy and cut down on pollution. Their teachers and principal are A+ too.

Posted October 3, 2008

This is the best school! I went here as a child and now my 8 year old attends. It is wonderful; the teachers and staff care so much about each child! There are so many parent volunteers that teachers get extra help for the select children that need it most. This way the teacher can concentrate on the whole class and not just one or two students that are behind and need more assistance. I am so fortunate to be a stay home mom with a very bright child. This means I get to be a volunteer and assist with the children that are not reading at their appropriate level. I can not say enough good things about Mariposa... It feels like a huge family and not only my son, but I have made some amazing and long lasting friendships here.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students93%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

30800 Palo Alto Dr.