Posted November 18, 2014
Everest don't care about their students. The system was implied to favor Summit Public School and in no way in interest of its students. Summit Public School only did it for the money.

Posted September 01, 2014
Everest with this new system is horrible!! I will be straight forward. I am a sophomore now, but I transferred out of Everest due to the fact I didn't feel like I was taught anything. I thought a small school was good for me, but it wasn't so I decided to transfer out to M-A. Everest would be an amazing school if they went back to textbooks and actual tests. I do not believe a system with Chromebooks is correct. So many students cheat and so many students don't have plans to going to college like I do. Any parent please reconsider putting your child there. Everest will just make your child suffer!! Your other public schools offer a lot more variety from clubs to electives to challenging classes!

Everest Public High School 4

Posted June 25, 2014
This school is for students who are motivated to learn and take the initiative. The teachers are there to teach the students, but not spoon feed them. The students who seek knowledge and are inquisitive will succeed in this environment. There was a lot of complaining about the new style. Many students hoped this would get the admin to switch back to the old system. It took some time to get used to the new learning environment. The learning curve was longer than I would have liked. I do think too much time was spent learning the PLP (Personalized Learning Plan). The system was not fully vetted at the beginning of school. Once we got it, it worked very well for our student. There has been too much turnover. We will have 3 directors in 4 years. The people leaving have moved to new positions within Summit Public Schools. This needs to stop or slow down. I suspect the parent involvement is like most schools: a small percentage of the parents are very involved, some are sort of involved, and some never get involved - EVEN though it is a charter school. 30 volunteer hours per student is required. We are looking forward to a great senior year without all the drama of last year.

Everest Public High School 5

Posted June 14, 2014
A great fit for my child. He never excelled in traditional learning environments (teacher gives content, kids absorb content, kids go home, practice content, return with demonstrations of knowledge that are turned in for credit/grades). Emphasis at Everest is more on learning and not busy work or rote memorization. The changes recently ("flipped learning", chromebooks) have inspired him to be more self-directed, proactive, and embracing of change. For the first time he could use school time to learn and get work done. He finished his junior year at Everest with his highest grades ever, and a feeling that HE is in charge of his academics. Everest is not for every kid (no school is), but it's an excellent fit for some, and I'm so grateful it exists as a public option.

Posted May 16, 2014
Horrible! This school was super great in Freshman year but ever since this new system has been implemented there have been a numerous of set backs. The teachers are a concern as they no longer teach and are helpful but rather feel the need to point us back to our Chromebooks. Even if my grades are considered outstanding I feel as if I have learned nothing. One other thing would be the spirit in this school. It has a very toxic atmosphere. As a student I have had personal conflicts with other students and even teachers! This is ridicolous. I no longer plan to attend.

Posted April 23, 2014
The 5 star reviews are likely freshman, who get a fresh start to this new system. However, for the rest of the school, Everest is like a science lab where the faculty are the scientists and the students are like Experiments. I am a current Junior at EPHS. The teachers are grumpier this year, refusing to help me citing that "I did not look it up on my Chromebook". I do not feel confident in taking my AP History Exam this year, because of the poor teaching done by my AP History Teacher. Every time I ask her about something, I do not feel confident that she knows the answer. She misguided me on several interpretations of Historical Documents. I can also name several kids who were Straight A students prior to August of 2013 (When this new program started) who are now struggling to pass their Junior Year. Bottom Line: If you want your kid to severely struggle in High School (I am confident even more so than they will in college) go to this school. Otherwise, go to Woodside. You will not regret it. Dont make the mistake that 300 students did!

Everest Public High School 5

Posted March 25, 2014
I love Everest!! Is definitely an awesome school, the teachers are amazing! and they are always willing to help you and always expect the best from you. They are always pushing you to do good but also to be responsible, I'm really happy to be part of this community! :)

Posted March 21, 2014
Everest (and Summit Schools in general) started out great. Engaged students and engaged teachers made for a great learning environment. Then Diane Tavenner, CEO of Summit Public Schools screwed the whole thing up with "blended learning" and "self directed learning" where the teachers oversee students working on their own. Students work on Chromebooks, accessing learning materials on line. Teachers are not lecturing and students and parents are frustrated. Only about 20% of the senior class is on track to graduate. Students feel lost and are unmotivated. High turnover rate in the resource dep't, if your child has special needs, be prepared to bring a new person up to speed often. The new educational model has numerous flaws, for example: after a student takes a test on line they are given their score. They are not, however, being told what questions they answered incorrectly, thus unable to know what they don't know. I expect a big drop in the number of returning students and possibly many teachers. The administration is useless. Avoid Summit Public Schools at all costs. We would have left at the end of last year had they told us of the 180 degree change in format.

Everest Public High School 2

Posted March 14, 2014
Beware. This was a good school that went off the deep end. We started out as big fans -- the teachers are young, well-educated, hard-working and enthusiastic and it was a very engaging atmosphere. But sad to say the teachers no longer teach. They coach projects in the classroom and leave it up to the students to learn the grade-level content independently on computerized modules. In other words, students learn what they need to know to pass a test and immediately forget whatever it was. Gone are the lively and intellectual classroom discussions, and if students aren't completely on top of the computer all the time and extremely organized they will fail.

Posted February 26, 2014
I am a current student at Everest. This is my Senior year and I fear it may not be my last. I have been here since my Freshman year and I absolutely loved it. This year, I dread the thought of waking up to go. The school changed their format without notifying parents and students over the summer. The school now uses an online/computer approach to "teach" and the teachers feel that means that they don't have to teach anymore. Since the new format I feel I may not graduate. Many students since the beginning of the year have left. If you consider sending your children here, please reconsider. This is not a school if your child needs instruction and guidelines, the rules and work policies are very loose and arbitrary. I have spoken to other students, they hate it here and younger students feel that if they leave they will have to repeat their grade because they feel behind. Do not go to this school, your child will not be ready for college, they will not get the education they deserve, and they will struggle and fall behind like me. Everest, Summit, Rainer, and Tahoma, avoid these schools.

Everest Public High School
455 Fifth Avenue, Redwood City, CA  94063
Last modified Everest Public High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Everest Public High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top