No rating

Redeemer Lutheran School

Private | K-8 | 211 students

Living in Redwood City

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $1,100,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,530.

Posted May 20, 2014

This is my child s first year at the school. We transferred from a highly regarded public Blue Ribbon School. Redeemer has been a true blessing for our family. Our child was bullied at the previous school and was not thriving academically or socially. This year we noticed huge leaps in confidence and a newfound love for school and learning. I am highly sensitive when it comes to bullying especially after our experience at the public school. I volunteer during the lunch hour, so have exposure to several grades and have never noticed any bullying occurring. We had a couple of instances with our child misbehaving and the principal handled the situation in a stern, but loving manner. I feel that a more solution-based approach is best suited when working with school staff. I looked at a lot of other private schools and the tuition at Redeemer is on par with other parish school in the area. In some cases it s even lower in price.

Posted April 16, 2014

This school has a big problem with bullying they don't want to address. The teaching is really poor quality. The kids perform really bad on standardized tests. I agree with the review about that "It's a church w/ attached school mainly for generating income"

Posted January 14, 2014

I highly disagree with the poster who feels that the school and principal allow bullying and exhibit favoritism. On the contrary, my 6 years at Redeemer have shown me that while imperfect, the staff at RLS is committed to growing and evolving into an educational institution that serves ALL students. Rather than ignore the feedback, the staff seems to take to heart each interaaction as a source of growth, challenging themselves to grow in curricular areas on an annual basis. Over the course of my tenure with children at RLS, I have witnessed the teachers and programs grow with the addition of a Vice Principal, RSP teacher, PE teacher and curricular growth in the sciences, writing, math, and technology. Considering the fact that RLS is a moderately priced (unsubsidized) school, they are always providing a quality, child-focused, relationship building, emotionally supportive, CHRIST-centered environment in which EACH child is loved and valued. I am so sad that the previous posters have had such negative perceptions and would love to hear more about these interactions/expectations and how and in which ways they felt unheard and unappreciated.

Posted December 30, 2013

i highly do not recommend this school for anyone. the principal is emotionally and verbally abusive, along with some of the teachers. though some teachers are outstanding supportive people, most of the teaching is a joke. there is blatant favoritism. people who don't deserve to get awards get multiple awards. they don't really challenge you, they've added a few programs since but still the same. the principal is only nice if you're new to make sure you stay enrolled at the school. the bullying and issues are not handled properly and just make things worse. and lastly the teachers make it quite obvious when they don't like you.

Posted October 17, 2013

This is our 4th year at Redeemer, and we've been more than pleased with the education and experience our child has gotten. The environment is always extremely positive, caring, and a great place to drop your child off every day. The Principal, Mr Mancini, greets every child and parent by name. He is not only one of the most enthusiastic principals you will ever meet- he cares greatly about each child, his teachers and staff, All the teachers at Redeemer are enthusiastic educators, and give each child the tools to succeed. In middle school, where most of our experience is, the kids get great benefits. Public speaking is a required part of their studies. This is a huge step for many kids, and it really prepares them for high school as well as life in general. The middle school offers different math levels which the kids test in to- which gives each child a chance to fully understand all concepts as well as be challenged. Redeemer offers a wealth of enrichment classes like drama, art, sign language, computer science, engineering, etc. I can't say enough about Redeemer as a wonderful place to trust with your child & their education.

Posted July 22, 2013

Redeemer is a small, caring, dedicated, and Christ-centered learning community. I have been a parent at RLS for 5 years, with two children currently enrolled and one to join in a few years. The community of Redeemer is committed to nurturing and engaging all types of learners. I have never had a problem with having staff or the principal respond to my needs, concerns, or questions. The teachers love their students, work hard each year to expand their expectations (writing scope and sequence, writer's workshop, math facts, Resource support) and experiences for our children (Ocean Week, Cultural Week, Science Night, Author's Night, etc). The recent addition of the Resource teacher, PE teacher, Vice Principal, and Principal's Advisory Board are other examples of the school's commitment to education. Do not let any of these negative reviews sway you from calling the school for a visit. Check it out for yourself, you will not be disappointed!

Posted July 15, 2013

To the reviewer who stated that their are 16 "free" staff children that are driving up the rates, please elaborate because I do believe your false information needs to be corrected. Rates are not driven by ANYTHING other than the normal 3-5% increase ALL aspects of the economy undergo on an annual basis. Please feel free to share the source of your wisdom as that seems to be what is driving you to give such a negative review.

Posted May 7, 2013

Reading the negative reviews. My exact experience. They also are not a 'bargain' they have gone up. They are paying for 16 staff children to go to the school so they are charging a lot more to cover them. DO NOT RECOMMEND. Regret sending my kids here. Certain parents run the parent board. If you have a new idea they don't care. The special ed program is not effective sine the middle school teachers rarely follow what is supposed to be done.

Posted August 19, 2011

Redeemer School is a BARGAIN for the top-notch education that my child has received and is currently receiving. My friends are surprised when I tell them that every year, my child's teacher visits our home before school starts to answer any of our questions and to get to know my child before the year even begins! The teachers have always been available to meet with me, and the communication is excellent. The principal has a passion for Christ that is visible to all, and he is a great example for my child. The team is never satisfied with just an average year; it seems that they are constantly working to make the best school. They have implemented a Culture Week (the kids study different countries and present them to the rest of the school), standards-based report cards, the use of "Smart Boards" in the classroom, and even had a science day last year with several of the grades completing fun experiments! I looked at many other schools in the area (including North Star), but nothing compares to the academic and spiritual education that Redeemer offers my child. If you want your child to be known as more than a number, bring them to Redeemer!

Posted May 24, 2011

It's a church w/ attached school mainly for generating income. Little attention to students/family needs (unless you are church member). We had two kids there for two yrs, experience was disappointing for a private school, it felt like being squeezed out for money. Acamedically poor due to teachers have little outside experience, many of them are actually past Redeemer graduates. On plus side, stuff cares for the children, they have good afterschool childcare. Can't recommend this school.

Posted April 19, 2011

I went there stay away they are greedy and care not about the students, only expansion and covering up past deeds

Posted June 4, 2009

I've had my children in Redeemer since 1993. Even after leaving the school, they speak fondly of their experience there and their love for their teachers of past. The education was top notch, demanding, and very much prepared them for high school. The environment is very caring, loving and nurturing. My youngest son will be in 8th grade in 2009-2010 and I'll be sad to leave Redeemer school behind. It's been an outstanding experience for my family.

Posted March 16, 2009

Be aware of the promises the principal makes! We were impressed by the high promises, e.g. personal attention, etc., the principal gave us. After we enrolled our child in fourth garde, everyting changed. Neither teacher nor the school stuff was available to discuss any issues with us, we felt worse treated by Redeemer Schhol than in any public school with 100+ students per grade. Definitely not recommended. Mother of a 4th grader.

Posted January 29, 2009

Even though the first impression appears appealing (small number of students, personal attention), after a couple of month, the picture turns pretty negative: troublingsome experience with teachers (lack of competency), too much focus on material issues (e.g. ongoing talk about the churches financial situation along with requests to the families to keep donating to the church's aggressive expansion plans). The school has ongoing issues with it's cirriculum, which favors great students and leaves out average talented ones. In our experience, Redeemer Lutheran School is not recommended, especially given the large variety of other hreat schools on the Peninsula.

Posted December 8, 2008

We are absolutely thrilled with the quality of education at this surprisingly moderately priced private school. Other privates may charge thousands more but it would be hard to convince me that the children receive a better educational experience. The Principal is outstanding and sets the tone and standards very high for the other teachers. great teacher communication and involvement.

Posted October 19, 2004

Small classes, individualized attention, caring teachers, excellent Christian environment.

Posted December 6, 2003

Excellent School with high Values and dedicated teachers. Top notch school.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod
Fax number
  • (650) 366-5897

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious