Reseda, CA
Students enrolled: 2,072

Sherman Oaks Center For Enriched Studies 4

Posted September 26, 2014
My kids have been attending SOCES since 4th grade. They are now starting their 10th and 8th grade. I'm very happy with the administration and teachers. I'm very supportive of teaching your kids to be independent. if you are a parent that is always babying your kids, this may not be the school for your kids, look somewhere else. I agree with another parent comment about classes being big in all LAUSD schools but SOCES is amongst the best so far. Parent, Teachers and volunteers try their best to provide and meet student's educational needs. SOCES is the best next to a private school.

Sherman Oaks Center For Enriched Studies 3

Posted September 25, 2014
At Back to School Night I was surprised at how dated this school was. They need to amp up on their technology BADLY. While most schools have smart boards this school is still trying to operate old overhead projectors. Also its dirty. Beginning of the school year, so many lockers were filthy. I was shocked. They had all summer to clean the campus up and it was filthy. There just is no excuse for dirty. They need someone new in charge of facilities.

Posted August 18, 2014
My child got in for 4th grade and we were so excited for this experience. This school should not have an elementary school. They get completely lost in the size of the school. They are expected to move from classroom to classroom and carry all their books with them. My daughter could not carry hers and left it at home and the teacher got mad at her. The class sizes are huge and the teachers are not energetic about teaching. She had 4 teachers and did not like any of them, and my daughter likes everyone. She was not getting an of the attention she needed and the teachers got upset when she came to the desk. One of them, she said, was at her computer too much. We took her out and put her in a charter school with small classes. I don't know much about the principal but have heard that she is not approachable. The counseling office had a line down the hallway and my daughters counselor was no help, but basically said 'she will get used to it'. I don't want my daughter to be 'used to it'. I want her to love school.

Sherman Oaks Center For Enriched Studies 4

Posted May 17, 2014
We are finishing up our first year at SOCES. It's taken a bit of getting used to, although I'm very glad my son has gone there. Making close friends can be hard at first because of the commute, but some time after Christmas, he began to enjoy his experience there immensely. The main complaint I hear from disgruntled parents is that the admin here is horrid. I'll admit they can take some getting used to. The attendance office can feel a bit like talking to someone at the DMV, but the school's aim is to teach students to be independent thinkers and doers and perhaps this approach is necessary to chase off the hovering parents... When anything important has actually come up, the school has immediately become responsive. They just don't cater to demanding parents, which can be hard for those used to babying their babies! My son has already begun to show more responsibility and pride. Classes are large everywhere in LAUSD and while a school of 2000 kids sounds huge for a 4th grader, 200-300 kids per grade is tiny compared to the 1000-1500 kids per grade at most public middle and high schools! All in all, the school is doing a great job and we feel fortunate to be there.

Posted May 04, 2014
This school is way too big for its own good. With 5 administrators you would think that this school would be safe and that your child would be cared for. This is not the case. My child became a number here. This school is not what it was 7, 8 years ago, academics are weak and bullying has become a huge problem.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 02, 2014
Had my son at SOCES for 4-8th grade. In his time there he has only had one teacher that truly demonstrated that she cared about the students. Mrs Lincke. I kept him there and pushed him to do better but this school is not for the kids that "fall through the cracks" as one of the counselors put it. Just happy he got accepted to VAAS and Northridge academy. Were they don't fall thru the cracks.

Posted February 03, 2014
For those of you that got your kids in at the 4th grade level how many points did you have? I'm guessing you'd have to apply in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade to get them in for 4th?

Posted October 22, 2013
SOCES is a great school. I can send my child anywhere and I choose to send him where he can not only acquire a tremendous education, but be in a real world setting where kids come from all different backgrounds - socioeconomic, race and ethnicity, culture, etc. My child has learned that he might have to work a little harder to stand out, but hey, that's the real world. I love that there's just the right amount of parental involvement and the right amount of feeling of community (for the parents). My child feels a strong sense of community. Great academics, great academic and social community, great school.

Posted October 07, 2013
No school is perfect and this one isn't either BUT I wholeheartedly believe this is the best school I could have put my kid in! If you are looking for rigorous academics and a diverse population, you've come to the right place. The students that come here make an effort to be here and that says a lot!

Posted October 06, 2013
This school is great! The teachers and administration emphasize and encourage students to go to college. The teachers' dedication and guidance is reflected in the school's API.

Sherman Oaks Center For Enriched Studies
18605 Erwin Street, Reseda, CA  91335
Last modified Sherman Oaks Center For Enriched Studies is a Public school that serves grades 4-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sherman Oaks Center For Enriched Studies Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 117 reviews. Top