Bad
Good

Both my kids continue to attend this school and there are many other private and public choices available to us. As an active parent in my children's education, I feel my efforts and ideas are respected as a parent, and very welcomed by the administration and staff to be involved and positively affect any changes I feel would benefit the school. Past issues that have come up with discipline, socialization, or educational goals have been very fairly handled and I felt I fully had team support from teachers and administration. Because I am at the school frequently, I have had extensive interaction with the office staff and administration, and everyone is positive and upbeat. Lastly, I am very satisfied with the security of our classroom environments- their rules and requirements for classroom visitations and parental involvement are in place to protect our kids and support their daily curriculum without excessive interruptions.

Let me first start by saying that I had high hopes for this school based on the ratings. I have been disappointed from the first day of school and throughout the year. Communication with the administration is poor and scheduling appointments are not allowed by the principal unless made by her, which makes the role of her secretary limited. It is incredibly difficult to get a timely response from her. When you have been responded to, do not expect any issues to be actually dealt with. You will find that the year has gone by and nothing has changed. The admin and office staff can be incredibly unprofessional at times and very unwelcoming. I was not allowed to view the SDC without Pam present. The special education program lacks the proper tools and staff to provide an education to your child. My child was treated like an inconvenience to their staff. The teacher we had desperately needs to retire as she is clearly burnt out and can not handle the workload. The experience with the mainstream room was positive, with the exception that the school district ignores IEP's and will create a schedule on their convenience. Prepare to stand your ground if this is your school.

I went to Vencil Brown from kindergarten to 5th grade. I couldn't have gone to a better school. I would have my daughter go there, however we have moved. There was a lot of parent involvement. My mother would always come help out. She even helped paint one of the old murals. Amazing school, amazing teachers, all around awesome!

I think Vencil Brown is a great school with so many great qualities. The children at this school display a great deal of intellect & beyond average skill levels in all academic areas.

There is a lot of parent involvement which does make for a wonderfully tight educational community (every school should be so lucky) however the administration lacks tremendously when trying to deal with children that do not learn at their cookie-cutter rate. They deal with those children as "problems" and actively seek to get them expelled. Art, music and science are severely lacking at this school.

My daughter just entered the second grade and we have had good experiences so far with her teachers. We especially loved her kindergarten teacher who retired last year. Lucky to live right around the corner from the school as well.

Lack of special ed capabilities. And teachers are lack of Autism awareness.

I love this school. I have three children that have all been at Vencil Brown. Every teacher that we have had has been wonderful. They love and care about the children. The parent involvement in this school is amazing. I feel very welcomed at this school as a parent volunteer. All kids and parents are very friendly with one another. All of my children have excelled at school here, in their studies also in their self esteem. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Do not expect to find any special ed capabilities aside from the special ed teachers. The special education teachers are great, I just hope you never have to deal with the administration.

Last modified Vencil Brown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.