Rosemont High School

Public | 9-12

Posted January 19, 2014

I am a junior at Rosemont High school. And there are wonderful AP classes and courses that prepare you for college. The students are about what you see at other schools. There are students that don't care about school, then there are students that really care about their education. I love the sports overall. The fields are great and there is no major alcohol or drug issues. There are police on campus just like other high schools. There hasn't been a fight since two years ago. This is a great school and I highly recommend it to future students

Posted May 3, 2013

Terrible school. Three fights in the same week during STAR testing. With all the drugs, alcohol, and smoking present, the administration needs to open their eyes and fix this school or shut down Rosemont for good.

Posted April 7, 2013

This school has a serious disaster on it's hands... and if they don't change something quickly... next year is shaping up to be a nightmare. I could easily estimate that 60% of the current Freshmen class is failing half to all of their classes... I've never witnessed such ignorance towards education from kids. If you're planning on sending your kids here Fall 2013 think again. The class just above them are ridiculous! Thank god juvenile hall is across the street! I will say this though... there are fantastic teachers on this campus that teach AP classes... AP English, AP Math, Algebra II teachers are fantastic! Physics teacher is incredible... but if your kid isn't bright enough to be in these classes... they'll have to hang out with all the other "saggy pant wearing low-life kids." At least once a week... there's a fight after school at the park around the corner.... kids are High in class, don't do their work, won't even attempt work, and could care less about education in general. I'm reading some of the comments below, and I can't believe some of these comments...

Posted November 12, 2012

I wonder if the person who posted on December 15, 2011 about the assembly actually took the time to investigate the situation. I doubt it, because the situation they describe happened at the Rosemont High School in MINNESOTA! The YouTube posting of the incident and TV reports there in Minnesota are still available. Please take the time to report first person impressions, not smear a school through ignorance.

Posted December 15, 2011

Blindfolded children and forced them to perform lewd acts with their parents for an assembly. Simply disgusting.

Posted December 3, 2011

I am not at all impressed by Rosemont HIgh. My son is a Sophmore and although he struggles with Math and Science, the school really doesn't offer much to help me overcome the struggle. The tutoring offered is generic. Some of the material offered is not specific to the areas he's struggling with. Also, the school always reminds me that they have had severe budget cuts and that's why....there is no automotive program.......construction program.....individual tutoring.....etc. I understand budget cuts, but our kids still have to be educated and not treated as a number to get funding that sin't being used for the students. Its like a real bad case of fraud.

Posted July 29, 2011

I think that the school has so much more potiential, there are some challenging teens and there are the ones that are really trying to get an education. My son had to go to summer school (private $600. for 8 weeks) to retake a class that is an essential for graduation. The first week he told me that some of the stuff he's reading, he didn't read the first time around at Rosemont. I'm not saying its only the teacher's fault, my son and I take responsibility also. But if a student is borderline (has to be motivated), try another school, if a student is self driven, they will succeed. And one parent cannot do it all, and if kids want to play sports, there is no transportation available afterwards. They are left to find rides and end up quitting sports and getting into trouble. And try volunteering at the school, being a single parent. Its very difficult to raise a responsible teen nowadays.

Posted July 27, 2011

I've been attending RHS for the last three tears and I can honestly say the problems I've had in school were based around personal problems and not the schools ambiance. The teachers care about you but, you have to show interest. I wouldn't like too feel as if i was wasting their time as a student either. Teachers motivate the motivated I'm now the president of Key Club and CSF (California Scholarship Federation) and will be starting a math club, fashion club, and Operation Smile Club for my senior year. Don't blame the school blame the student. If you have the drive to succeed you can do it anywhere.

Posted March 16, 2011

I moved to Rosemont 4 years ago in preparation for my son to go to Rosemont High when he became of age. I had heard good things about the school at the time but unfortunately I have to say the school & the neighborhood is NOT what I was expecting. It's sad because I love my house & my landlords but I am in the process of inter district transferring my son to Folsom High next year & ultimately will most likely have to downgrade our living space to an apartment just so he can be raised in a MUCH better area. My son has told me there have been drank 40 ounce beer bottles in the bathroom, constant physical fights, drug sales & usage etc. The teachers, wow where do I start...out of all of my son's teachers I'd say only 2 of them actually seem to enjoy teaching these kids & care about them & have their best interest in mind. Most of them won't even respond to emails & I've had issues w/more than one about calling the students names already in my son's freshman year. There is rarely ever homework assigned which I feel should be important in high school.

Posted March 4, 2011

I must disagree with the Mom who stated that Rosemont's staff is doing nothing to address student challenges with drug/alcohol problems. Many students today come to high school and middle school with substance use disorders and Rosemont High is one of the most progressive high schools in the county in terms of taking off the blinders and actually providing drug/alcohol treatment to their students on campus. Their School Counselors, Administrators, Faculty and staff are well educated and trained by a local youth provider in the area of adolescent substance abuse and addiction and this same agency has a FULL TIME Youth Addiction Specialist available to students on the RHS campus. RHS was the first in the County to have that and has been providing it for 5 years because they see the need. Kudos to them for not pretending like it isn't happening like so many other schools. Yes - there is still a long way to go - but if a student at RHS has a problem w/ substances - everyone on campus knows exactly where and how they can get help and it is FREE. Not bad. (this program costs the school, district, and students, families nothing - funding is through grants, medi-cal and free)

Posted March 3, 2011

I have taught at Rosemont for 5 years after having taught in 3 other states over the past 25 years. I am very proud to be a teacher at RHS. I teach World History and Advanced Placement World History. I find my students to be respectful, responsive and willing to rise to the high standards I set in my classroom. I have never had a student who couldn't learn or wouldn't learn. The atmosphere throughout the school is caring, respectful and filled with positive energy. "It's good to be a Wolverine!"
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 3, 2011

In my experience, Rosemont provides quality instruction and a positive learning environment in a safe and well cared for environment. The Rosemont students, staff, and parents I have met and worked with are pleased with the educational support and positive outcomes produced by this school.

Posted February 5, 2011

This school is horrible. My son wants out of Rosemont due to all the lack of dicipline and all the gangs and drugs that are obviously allowed. Drugs and alcohol are ramped in this school, and I can't believe that none of the teachers or staff members are doing anything to prevent this. Definetly looking for another school

Posted January 27, 2011

Just Moved here from the bay area this past summer, and decided to attend rosemont and i was dissapointed in my choice. thank god i am moving out. this school doesn't emphasize the meaning of "teaching". the first 4 months i was the there only learned a couple things. the teachers focus more on how there school looks rather than teaching the kids. Dont get me wrong some teachers teach, but the majority of them don't. If i was you i'd look into a better district outside of Sacramento. ELK GROVE all the way.

Posted December 30, 2010

The students with true potential are often overlooked and if they are starting to fall, it will continue to happen until the parent or atleast someone intervenes. School spirit is there but it feels fake.

Posted December 30, 2010

Honestly, this isn't a positive learning environment. Get out fast. Slowly I am starting to care less and hate school. I feel stupid even if I get As and Bs. Miss the block schedule. A lot of students are not motivated or simply do not care if the school becomes distinguished or recognized. Purposely ditching school on the STAR testing days and just playing the bubble game will get them nowhere. It also makes it feel like doing well is for nothing. Only a FEW teachers actually add some sort of review or preparation for the important big tests. There seems to be a huge divide between quality of education between the levels. Behavior has improved but nowadays, the administration focuses on overly punishing people for almost minuscule things instead of identifying bigger problems. Sometimes resources are so limited that it holds students back and continuity has yet to start. Winning TALKS A LOT at this school. So far I am only staying for the extracurricular activities, but overall if you are looking for a real education, go to somewhere outside of SCUSD if you can. :D

Posted December 15, 2010

I currently attend Rosemont and as a student I can tell you nothing is to be learned from this school. Some of the teachers are either incapable of teaching simply don't want to. Discipline is a joke, as are the arts (literally, kids joke about the arts). If you want a daycare to put your kid in it's perfect, but if you're looking for a real educational environment I'd such elsewhere. It lacks many of the basics every school should have (eg. a decent principal, a strict code of discipline that is actually enforced, a choir, etc). I am currently looking for a new school.

Posted August 18, 2010

I'm slowly watching my son fall through the cracks. It's very, very sad. He started out in all advanced classes as a freshman. Did not meet expectations. They dropped him down a level as a sophomore. He failed all classes. None of the teachers can keep him interested. I've been asking for help from counselors, teachers, admin -- since he was a freshman. They have limited resources and no one can really give me any alternatives. I'm digging around for myself before it's too late. You can't make a teen do anything he or she doesn't want to do. Maybe it isn't the school's fault but mine? I'll take responsibility for a big portion of it- but they get low scoring for not even identifying that he has a problem or having access to outside resources where I can go for help.

Posted May 19, 2010

We were so happy when Rosemont was finally up and running, the reports from parents in the first few years were excellent. This was supposed to be a school where the students could learn a trade, the block schedule was pioneered at this school, our students were supposed to have all the advantages. The first 16 Teachers were proud of their school and their kids, they worked with the staff and counselors to keep the students on track. Then the District came in, budgets were cut, changes were made to the curriculum, the staff and the schedule. This year a Principal was brought in from a middle school in which she had been totally ineffective, I should know my daughter attended that school. She has not done anything to change my opinion. It is really sad that what started with such promise, has been allowed to die a slow death.

Posted May 18, 2010

My son was a senior at Rosemont HS. I had to pull him out of the school because the teachers were discouraging him. They were very negative especially his counselor, who never placed him in the classes he requested. The principal was no help. It took weeks for me to get a response from her, even when I called the school district. Seniors are supposed to have priority over classes and there were younger kids placed in some of the classes he requested. If you are a minority, make sure you are being treated the same as everyone else.

This school's

(2012)

4 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

4 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

184 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

346 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

172 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

288 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

294 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students7%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - college graduate67%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate65%
Parent education - declined to state31%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students24%

Parent education - college graduate65%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate65%
Parent education - declined to state57%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

332 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students75%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 10%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Art room

• Band
Performing arts
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9594 Kiefer Boulevard