Posted October 16, 2014
Your kid is a number and the school moves them through the assembly line as fast as possible. Teacher involvement is minimal, administrators are hands off.

Posted June 06, 2014
I love this school - it is big - but the kids get a great education.

Carmel Valley Middle School 4

Posted May 31, 2014
I am a former student of CVMS, and I now attend Torrey Pines High School. One of the reasons I chose to attend CVMS over Earl Warren was its proximity to my house and its advanced math classes. When I was attending, there was a program for students who were way ahead in math to take a couple of classes at Torrey Pines High School. I didn't end up getting that far in math at CVMS, but it was good to know that I had options. Now I hear that they even opened up an Algebra II/Trig class right there at CVMS with ten or so students, and it amazes me that so many kids are getting that far ahead. Now that I am Torrey Pines, I am completing Multivariable calculus, and it's great to know that I've been challenged and not forced to sit around in a class I don't belong. CVMS is far from perfect, but given that it is a public school with comparable or even superior academic opportunities to those at nearby private schools, this school is definitely a great option.

Posted September 15, 2013
I am in Carmel Valley Middle School and I am a 2013 - 2014 7th grader. I love this school, it is above 5 stars (Excellent). I recommend people to go to it, it's fabulous.

Posted August 17, 2013
Where to start. How about overcrowding? Carpool is a nightmare with rude parents cutting in line, rude kids sauntering across the street against the red light so traffic can't move- it's gridlock. Same goes for the classrooms, seriously overcrowded. The campus is dirty, the track in poor shape, the field unkempt. The parents are smug about test scores, but all that rote learning comes with a price. My kids were aware of rampant cheating; the bullying was intense and the partying and sexual activity (just ask anyone about the infamous parties and Highlands shopping center shenanigans) were outrageous. One of my kids was failing a class due to being overwhelmed with busy work and the teacher never contacted me till it was almost too late. Test scores aren't everything, parents, and Carmel Valley is not the "be all and end all." Your child would be much better off at a 6-9 inclusive school with fewer students and less ridiculous pressure.

Carmel Valley Middle School 2

Posted July 02, 2013
RUN AWAY from this school as quickly as you can. Choice your middle school student out and go to EARL WARREN MIDDLE SCHOOL in Solana Beach. ~It is overcrowded. ~It is very dirty and unkept. The janitor does nothing and the school is filthy dirty. The floors are disgusting. Not sure when they clean anything. ~It is not up to par with current technology. The school district knows it, but won't invest in upgrading the technology systems. They expect the parents to pay for it. Don't we already pay enough taxes? ~White kids are NOT the majority. Chinese and Middle Eastern Indian kids get preferential treatment at this school. ~Parking is a nightmare. Poor city planning. ~Most of the teachers are great. But, there are a few rotten apples. ie, one of the male PE teachers ~The admin working the front desk are not friendly. I think they are overwhelmed with the overcrowded school and the filthy working environment. ~School lunches are over priced, fattening, and greasy. No fresh fruit bowl. No carrots. No celery and peanut butter. Oh, they do sell a small slice of pizza for $3.00. My older kids were fortunate to attend other middle schools. Yours should too.

Posted June 28, 2013
We moved to the Carmel Valley area specifically so that my sons could eventually attend Canyon Crest Academy. Carmel Valley Middle School turned out to be the added benefit as they received a real wake-up call on what it would take to be a top student at CCA or Torrey Pines HS. This is an area where parents truly put education first, and CVMS is competitive with lots of opportunities to take advanced classes. The proof is in the results, as the students who rise to the occasion will graduate HS with GPAs well over 4.0 and enough AP classes to skip entire semesters in college. The music program at the school is also stellar, virtually everyone runs (excellent mind-body training--the Boys and Girls Club is right next door with a very good track and other after school programs), and CVMS is one of the few in the district to have bus service. My sons are now attending USC, and I thank CVMS for providing them the groundwork necessary to have been among the 5% of applicants selected. If your goal is for your child to attend a highly selective university, you need a middle school like CVMS. Added note--San Diegiuto is probably the best run school district in CA, of which CVMS is part.

Posted May 16, 2013
CVMS is unique, in that it attempts to provide a transition to the academic demands and social confusion of High School. For most kids, entering 7th grade, is a confusing change. Our sons left an Elementary school with 60 kids in their grade to middle school with 700 plus kids in their grade. They are expected to be responsible for their academics and are held accountable for same. The Aeries program is an ongoing account of their progress and a boon to helpful parents. How the teachers are able to handle this work load is an example of their commitment to the educational process. They must work an 80 hour + week. Wow! Great, dedicated teachers working so hard with children from all kinds of cultural, academic backgrounds. What a challenge! Kids are adaptable and love their caring, and hardworking teachers. Our sons are on different learning levels and are treated fairly and personably by the staff at this school. This is education at its best! One can nitpick some of the perceived shortcomings of CVMS, but, all in all, it is a superlative educational environment for young people at this stage of their march to becoming responsible adult members of society.

Posted March 09, 2013
I'm so glad to choose this school as a choice for my son. I was initially looking for a private school and then though of giving CVMS a try based on high ratings and friends' recommendations. I would say school worked out great for my son. There is a lot of homework but my son is able to handle it with no help. There are lots of choices based on student skill set. I'm very satisfied with CVMS.

Posted January 11, 2013
I am disappointed in this school. We moved here because of the great reviews, but the school is overwhelming and way too big for any effective discipline. My daughter is constantly being bullied and fortunately has found a safe haven in the library. I have also been shocked by the inappropriate language she has learned there. I am hoping to pull her from the school. The teachers do not have time to help the kids. It is sad.

Carmel Valley Middle School
3800 Mykonos Lane, San Diego, CA  92130
Last modified Carmel Valley Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carmel Valley Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top