High Tech Middle School

Charter | 6-8

Living in San Diego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $615,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,490.

Posted April 22, 2014

This school is great - teaching kids to learn skills that will help them to reach for the stars, you can create anything if you put your mind together with others.

Posted April 21, 2014

Awesome school! Both my kids love it, though they were hesitant at first. Didn't take long before it has become their second home. Small enough that they know everyone and feel safe. Love the team projects, the dress code, the small amount of homework and availability of the teachers and staff for any questions or problems. Also love the diversity and strong teaching.

Posted April 21, 2014

My son attends High Tech Middle. He loves the fact that is project base which means they work in groups a lot when they are working on a projects. They problem solve in a group and get to combine all that they learned in one project. They have a wonderful group of teachers that have so much passion for their job. Also they offer a great before and after school program that is free o.f charge for all students. This is a great and unique school and I'm honored to have my child go there.

Posted April 17, 2014

Love the small size, the director knows every kid personally, the teachers are incredibly hardworking, and nice. My child was initially nervous going to a school where he did not know anyone, but its not been an issue at all. He's thriving and proud of his work, can't ask for more than that! Only negative is traffic in/out of Point Loma.

Posted November 5, 2013

Now that my child has graduated HTM and moved on to a public school, I see a big difference in the education/curriculum. I'm torn because HTM offered some great things as a superb atmosphere, strict rules about bullying, free movement while learning instead of sitting behind a desk in class, and the kids seem very happy. However, the curriculum lacks the ability to prepare the kids for college. There are no English classes therefore the kids writing skills suffer greatly; there is no biology, and no Physical Ed classes. I will say that Judo Math is an excellent program they recently added. All schools should have Judo Math! The projects are somewhat elementary and no college uses project-based learning. While POL's help with public speaking skills, the projects in the POL aren't significant or challenging enough for the kids. The materials for the projects are paper, cardboard, etc, nothing high-tech. While I loved how happy and safe my child was, having no books, no development of writing skills and no AP courses just doesn't adequately prepare kids or college. I wish I could combine this school with another school and create the perfect school. Tough to choose.

Posted August 2, 2013

High Tech Middle has been a supportive, creative and academically challenging environment. The students are not only taught academics but also life skills to help transition them from a school environment into the real world. The teachers are caring and supportive and the students often stay in touch with them even after they have moved on to college.

Posted August 16, 2012

I am going into 7th grade this year. I attend High Tech Middle, and it is the best school in the world. Our teachers are the best in the world. The drama class is advanced and amazing. We learn everything from blocking to being in our own school play. If you are thinking of putting your child here. Go for it. You will see your child bump up his grades if they were bad before. This school makes you pay attention in class by adding fun to everything. It's hard not to get an "A". I assure you that when summer comes next year your child will sure miss school. I sure do. We get a time at the end of the day called "X-Block" where we get to choose out of many activities including Lego's, tutoring, skateboarding, plays, movie time, football, soccer, baseball, tech class, guitar, drums and even yearbook staff, etc.. We get an hour of any fun X-Block class in the school a day. We get the privilege to go to liberty station on short days to get what we want. During lunch we have a park to eat at, the food court, or the big school area. At the end of the year we go on a really fun trip to celebrate the end of the year. We went to soak city. And we are 1 of the few schools that has 1 week camp.

Posted June 29, 2012

This school is absolutley amazing, I am a student going into 7th grade, and the staff are all young, energetic and creative. No one is grumpy or mean. I had Mrs. Strong and Mr. Shaddox. Mrs. Charlie was my art teacher and she was fantastic she made you want to do your best with fun activities. Mrs. DeAnna was also amazing, as my drama teacher. She was funny and entertaining. I look forward to 7th grade. I was actually sad to leave my school on the last day.

Posted May 22, 2012

I think its a great school. Honestly I think they do push kids and reading the comments from a few years back they seem to have made some adjustments from what I see. My daughter has always been an upper level student and very proactive in her classes and this school so far has given her the right challenges. Her match teacher recognized that she is advanced beyond the rest of the class and does push her with more advanced work after she completes and shows her knowledge for the standard lesson. I do agree this school probably isn't for everyone but I feel it is a great school for my daughter and will be getting my 2 younger ones in there for middle school. The school also offers softball in which my daughter is a travel ball player so that also is a positive that there is great academics as well as sports. For the people complaining about no football at the high school for their son..I believe if a sport isn't offered you can attend a different school for that sport? At least in high school we had a kid on my basketball team play who came from a charter school.

Posted March 16, 2012

We found the teachers really cared about how the kids did, how they grew and matured and whether they were happy there. The director (MsGriswold) was fantastic. Our kid learned some valuable lessons on how to talk to others, plan projects, meet deadlines and present information during a meeting. Made good friends and did not get exposed to some of the nastier bits of middle school. However, I do not feel the work was rigorous. It required very little effort to get As and too much time during projects painting and hotglueing stuff. Also because the school draws from all over San Diego the students enter the school with very varying abilities so my kid spent many math classes staring out of the window or teaching other kids. We decided to move to a regular public high school. It was a shock to the system to get plenty of homework and a much more rigorous schedule. My student is less bored in class now and has to work much harder to get good grades. I don't much care for the public school system but our kid is learning to work there. If you have a motivated student they will do well, but school does not push kids who don't push themselves.

Posted November 12, 2011

I m a parent of an 8th grader who attends HTMCV. This is a beautiful new building sitting in the outskirts of Chula overlooking big open spaces of the Otay Valley. All young, beautiful and enthusiastic teachers, safe environment for the kids but that s where the positive ends. I ended up pulling my 5th grader out of the HT elementary. He was having a hard time adjusting to the no text books, no homework and no real math mentality. He hated the school & didn t understand why at their age they had to sit around the carpet and have the teacher read & act out third grade reading level books to them. Not much really changes with the upper grades. HT Staff does not discuss academic performance; my questions to them have gone unanswered. Town hall meetings are about the beautiful school & how lucky we are to have our kids there rather than school performance. Most parents will not question the school because they get caught up in the hype. The ones who are finding out the many faults of the HT schools system are the ones paying attention, questioning their kids and doing quite a bit of research. I ll be pulling out my 8th grader next year as well.

Posted November 29, 2010

An amazing school with a modern perspective on education. Young energetic staff and faculty with an emphasis on real world project based learning. Two primary elements to consider: 99% of HTH students who apply to and are admitted to college after graduation 100% of HTH students complete the A-G Requirements for entrance into the CSU and UC systems, something only 34% of all CA high school students accomplish. These are the "gatekeeper' courses that, once completed, give students an opportunity for a quality, public college education. In closing, this educational institution not only boasts and unmatched success rate for prepairing our youth for College, but more importantly has developed a system that has made the elementary to middle school transition seamless and free of the "typical" pit-falls found in this most critical stage of childhood development. I am very impressed with what we have been so lucky to be a part of!

Posted September 9, 2010

I feel honored and privledged to have my daughter at HTM. She is doing wonderful in this unique environment. The teachers have the cool factor which seems to keep the kids more focused and more eager to learn. I do see some kids who fool around and are disruptive - makes me sick when you see all the bright young children who would LOVE an opportunity to go here. All in all we are very very happy!

Posted June 1, 2010

My child has learned so much from attending this school. How to stand up in front of peers, teachers and parents and run a meeting, plan resources, answer questions, practice leadership roles, how to plan a project from start to finish. The projects are interesting and generally engage the students. You can tell that all the staff really care about the kids. This is evident in how willing they are to meet with parents and work with 1-on-1 with kids. The small school model really helps kids get to know one another and not get lost in the crowd. It also means that they tend to get along better. I do not think the academics are strong. In part because of the wonderfully diverse student population that has come from all different elementary schools. My kid has been able to complete the work and get good grades without much effort

Posted May 22, 2010

I wanted to put my son into HTM and did some extensive research, took tours and talked to staff. I asked if they had any programs for gifted children at the elementary level. I was told no, all of their students are smart (!) and most of the teachers were GATE certified. A few yrs ago I noticed a lot of them were but when checking out the Middle School I was suprised to find that many teachers do not even possess a credential! Maybe this is why their math program is so poor. I also noticed the test scores have consistently gone down. I think this school was once great but now just average.

Posted December 4, 2008

We now have two children working their way through the HTH, HTM system and both really enjoy school. Teacher's keep it challenging and interesting. Project based learning makes the kids own their work more than standardized text books. I have never seen a friendlier environment for all students. Kids all appear to get along. Administration doesn't allow troublemaker's to stay so learning environment is enhanced. We have a third child heading their way in two years. Good job HTH, HTM. Chuck Fortin

Posted November 7, 2008

I'm a parent w/4 yrs at HTM. I agree with 1/9/07. My kids learned how to get more out of their education by focusing on areas that interested them, but they had to be nudged into this. If your student is less interested in working, and won't do anything unless parents force them, you might be frustrated with this model but your kid will end up more independent after spending time in this school. Not working isn't an option, your kid won't be forgotten or seen as a lost cause. All of the kids I have known like going to school here. There isn't academic competition so the kids don't know who is #1 in grades. Teachers are not middle aged, most are under 35, but they are enthusiastic, dedicated & hard working.

Posted May 12, 2008

Not enough efficient learning. To much painting and making to learn a small detail. No broad picture or exposure to a variety of topics. There are no textbooks even to provide even the most basic instruction. The internet is used extensively, but the internet is not reviewed at all in most cases. In two years my kids have not learned any history. zero. To my surprise, they actually have learned some math and science. I owe this mostly to the fact that their math/science teachers both years were 'fresh' from schools that had to pay attention to the California Stds and had therefore not lounged fully into the laidback lazy 'project based' excuse for not teaching any of the expected standards. No gym. The kids seem nice and the class sizes are small. I am teaching them at home,now too. I give 'average' since most public schools now seem worse.

Posted January 9, 2007

I am somewhat puzzled at the parent's review for 1/07. When mentioning 'not enough hard work'; I wonder if the parent understands the concept of a project based curriculum. My 7th grader has never worked harder; and she has always been a straight-A student. A's take much more work at HTM! for those parents unfamiliar with a project based curriculum; I would strongly suggest Ron Berger's 2003 book: An Ethic of Excellence. In response to the concern regarding the median age of the faculty, I too was (at first!) somewhat surprised. But after more than 2 years now, I embrace the youthful spirit, energy, and dedication of every faculty member I've met. It is their enthusiasm that truly seems to connect with these formative personalities. As for extracurricular activities, the supplemental 6 to 6 program just keeps getting better! This is an incredible school!

Posted January 8, 2007

As a Parent I have had two children attend this school. It was okay, but there didnt seem to be alot of really hard work happinging. Many of the teachers are in there 20's and dont have alot of experience. the school was a nice change from pubic school but didnt really help my children advance. And there is no good activities.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students72%

Fluent-English proficient and English only71%
Parent education - college graduate80%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate75%
Parent education - declined to state61%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students69%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Janie Griswold
Fax number
  • (619) 814-5088

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields