High Tech High Media Arts School

Charter | 10-12 & ungraded | 404 students

Posted November 6, 2013

I agree with all the negative parent & student comments. Fortunately for my daughter I recognized these flaws about the school within the first months of school and started looking into the school's accountability act, and meeting with principal and teachers about the curriculum, or lack thereof, but getting nowhere. Staff is all well prepared to avoid answering direct questions, which basically cleared up any doubts I might've had about the school and made my decision easy. Unfortunately, I had to leave my daughter through a full year of HTM (8th grade) where she earned As and Bs -based on the school's standards , which are basically nonexistent. My daughter's freshman year of high school was tough, and even though she missed her HT friends she was glad she was back to a 'real school' where she was being tested and pushed to do better. She is now a 10th grader and is in full swing of high school and preparing for college, because contrary to what HT claims public schools do prepare kids for college. Sorry to all the parents who are seeing their kids' college careers be a struggle to them. I knew more of us would start speaking up and unveil the truth behind this school.

Posted September 27, 2013

College is hard, and anyone who is not responsible enough to care about their own future will not succeed! Sure, there are a few students who are used to having parents or guardians telling them what to do at all times. And when they fail, they must blame someone else. I graduated within 4 years of a 4-year university, and I was not a straight A student. I must admit that, I took remedial classes in college myself but I went to summer school and made up for those credits. The exhibitions, POLs, internships, and projects that are though at HTHMA really help students to get an idea of college, and to be prepared for it. You don't get any of this at a regular public school! When sitting in a 200 student class, I would participate and ask questions. This is because when I graduated HTHMA I was confident enough to know that I had the right tools to navigate in the 'real world'. Some of the classmates that graduated with me, didn't even attempt to stay a full semester because they needed a 'break'. Who is to blame HTHMA? Every student is responsible for their own decisions! The school is diverse, just like college, just like the world. - HTHMA Alumni

Posted September 21, 2013

This school is not successful in keeping teachers around and keeping students in college. The administration brags about all students getting into college, but this is only true because they make their students fill out community college applications (community colleges accept all students). Students who do go to college often drop out within the first semester or flounder through community college for several years before giving up. I recently saw my son's friend working at Home Depot (they both went to High Tech High Media Arts). When I asked what happened to her schooling, she said she felt overwhelmed and needed a break. When I asked when she would return, she said she was not sure she would. My son is struggling in college as well and, like other parents have mentioned on this cite, he has been put into remedial courses at his college. I did not know that the success rate for students going to college and succeeding was so low. I am very disappointed. My son was an A and B student and did "well" at this school. Hopefully, through tutoring and help from professors he will be successful. Holding my breath..... Disappointed Dad.

Posted September 19, 2013

If I had it to do over again, I would not send my kids to this school. I was disappointed in so many ways. The environment was chaotic & noisy, teachers had little or no experience who pounded extreme liberal views into young minds. It's nice to get good grades, which they did, but both left ill prepared for college. If you are looking for solid education with college prep, go elsewhere. There are plenty of great schools that actually teach high school curriculum- you won't find it here.

Posted September 13, 2013

I'm a senior at my university and hoping to pursue a PhD after. HTHMA made me who I am now and without the help of the phenomenal counselors, I wouldn't have gotten a full-ride scholarship. The projects I did in HTHMA inspired me to pursue a degree in international relations due to the emphasis on global citizenship and world affairs in various classes. With its project based learning approach and diverse body of teachers, HTHMA provided me the knowledge to succeed academically and also professionally. While at HTHMA, I participated in 2 internships which later helped me in college applications. In addition, I was placed in advanced writing due to the strong emphasis in the argumentative writing I was exposed to at HTHMA. While there are many reasons why I consider this school my second home, I think that the connection I had with my teachers was essential. Many of them stayed after school to make sure we understood the material, and incorporated our artistic talents to create innovative projects. HTHMA is place for the future problem solvers, and without the guidance of my teachers, I wouldn't have gone to college. Submitted by an extremely proud HTHMA alumnus

Posted August 20, 2013

This school is like a circus, mostly flashing lights and colorful distractions. Teachers are nice, some have experience and some don't. Seems like a very smart staff but not very effective teachers when it comes to state standards and college testing. My son has had a lot of turn over with teachers. Would have liked him to have more stability. He is worried about getting recommendations because so many have left or were fired. Students are nice to each other, although my sons class were cyber bullying each other to the point where their emails were shut down. My son is not testing well on SAT, and he says that is because they teach that tests are not important. I tell him that while that is kind of true, his future depends on them. I confirmed that they teach this mentality with my child's friends and other parents. My son complains about the principal and feeling scared /uncomfortable around him. He states he is not the only one. If I had it to do over, I would send my child elsewhere. I was sold on the idea but not convinced by the product.

Posted April 9, 2013

I'm really surprised to see the negative responses about HTHMA. My experience (as a parent) has been completely different. The teachers are young, engaged, and dedicated. Not to mention uber smart. They have PhDs on staff! The challenge is that it is project based learning and some kids don't respond to that. Learning is a two-way street, not just a teacher dumping info into an open head. The curriculum does require engagement and curiosity - not every student will excel in that environment.

Posted January 26, 2012

My son graduated from HTHMedia with a solid B average. His teachers loved him. He loved his teachers. We all knew he could get A's but no one at the school ever pushed him to do more... a B was good with them. We thought many of the teachers were great, but the principal was a huge joke. Imagine our surprise when he called from college -- a great university outside of California - and told us he didn't know what the heck he was doing. He had never been asked to really study or take tests. He failed his freshman math class. We had to get him a tutor to get him through his freshman requirements. He said everyone he knew at school had covered much of the material in their high school careers, but this was stuff he had never been exposed to! It looks great on paper but ultimately the High Tech schools fail to deliver in the real world. Oh, and that baloney about 99% of the kids go to college? Forget it. Most of his peers went to community college and dropped out after the 1st year. The few that got into 4 year colleges are struggling.

Posted February 7, 2011

I was shocked to find out my daughter had to take REMEDIAL Math, Science, AND English classes her first year at CSU after graduating with above a 3.5 GPA from HTHMA. When I contacted her counselor at CSU, I was told that ONE PERCENT of incoming students from HTHMA demonstrated "college readiness". This is a college preparatory high school that prides itself on a "liberal arts" (according to Larry Rosenstock) education. Clearly the administration needs to review the leadership and the quality of the teaching staff at this school. I am shocked.

Posted May 30, 2010

I wish I could list my millions reasons as to why I thought this academic institution failed but it would pages instead of paragraphs. HTHMA is all about college preparation and as a college student having attended this school I can say that I wasn't very prepared. I'm an english major and although the english classes were sufficient yet filled with random and unnecessary subject matter I was completely screwed in my science/math classes. Unlike english where you can get away with presenting random subject matter sometimes, science and math you CAN'T WHATSOEVER and HTHMA is guilty of that. I and a few other friends who attended HTHMA have had to repeat math classes in college. Those who fortunately haven't were really struggling, especially in chem. I remember when I took chem I didn't do an experiment one. If I was a science or math major I would be EXTREMELY WORRIED.

Posted September 18, 2009

High Tech High draws from the whole community and generates enthusiasm and focus in its students

Posted August 31, 2009

This school is not very organized with their curriculum. Their math classes are amazingly unorganized as well as the science classes. This school offers no extra curricular classes and their afterschool program is a mess. There is also very minimal cultural diversity and some of the staff is in my opinion unprepared. I think this school can be fun, but not for everyone.

Posted August 31, 2009

Awesome school! My son excelled in this school to his full potential. He has gained so much knowledge that traditional schools don't teach and he loves the school and the way it teaches. It is interesting and challenging.

Posted April 14, 2009

Completely disillusioned after hearing so much hype. Math gets lost in the curriculum. There are no extracurricular activities whatsoever. School spirit (or school culture as the High Tech High people like to say) is non-existent. My impression is that teachers are extremely overworked and, in my opinion, the director of this school does not think through his decisions. Just a real let-down overall.

Posted January 30, 2009

So far not impressed; Im told one thing and I've seen no follow-up. Yes this school has a good reputation but hasnt lived up to it.

Posted November 7, 2008

Amazing school, I enjoy going there. The teachers are chill, the facilities are nice, and everyone respects eachother. There is an amazing degree of freedom (and responsibility) given to the students, and that translates into quality work.

Posted October 25, 2008

this is an awesome school all the projects are made to challenge all the kids and help them in their needs and the teachers are really helfull and friendly.

Posted August 31, 2007

HTHMA is the newest kid on the High Tech block, and definitely has experienced growing pains, searching for it's identity. Despite the obvious potential for integration of 'high tech' with graphics and arts, that's still a fairly primitive relationship here. Changed directors in the middle of last year, and staff turnover is still alarmingly high. I hear that's by the school's choice, mainly, so that suggests some vision is being implemented.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students7%

Parent education - not a high school graduate50%
Parent education - college graduate47%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate76%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students94%

• Robert Kuhl
Fax number
  • (619) 224-1198

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now