Bad
Good

Westwood Elementary School 2

Posted October 02, 2014
This school is across from large apartment complex and there seems to be high turnover of students. The teachers in younger grades are good but as kids get older not so much. The only staff I ever see mingling or smiling on campus is the Vice Principal. The Principal always seems to be in a rush. Office staff not very friendly. They push the new common core. The PTA is actually asking for donations to help implement it on their annual fund raising campaign yet we have no art teacher..no music teacher...I do not want to use my hard earned money to pay for a new curriculum that was never voted on by parents has a horrible track record in places that started long before us. Notice all the great reviews on this site are for Pre K, Kindergarten and 1st/2nd grade or the reviews are very old. The drop off and pick up at this school is the absolute worst. We moved here for the schools. Disappointed with this one.

Posted April 01, 2014
This school is amazing! My daughter had some outstanding teachers here. I have to applaud Mrs. Style for teaching my daughter how to read. I loved her morning read program as it was welcoming to be in the class every morning and get to know the other kids, parents, and teachers. All the other teachers were always rigorous and supportive. I was really skeptical about the 2/3 combo but was so impressed with their organization and assignments. There are so many fun activities throughout the year! My daughter adored this school. The community helps to make this school awesome. And I have to give some major love to the ESS program there! Ms. Tina is the absolute best!!! She is so loving and caring with every child. Unfortunately we moved out of the area but we always look back at this school fondly.

Posted February 04, 2014
My son who is in Kindergarten is enjoying his school life, which I never did as a child. Thats very important for me. Teacher are approachable and warm hearted. Lots of activities in the school make it a fun for parents too. My son is growing day by day as his academic year progressing.

Westwood Elementary School 4

Posted October 14, 2013
The school itself is actually very good. Community oriented, family is always involved (maybe sometimes too involved, there are some hovering parents! ) but its a great place to have your kids...BUT whatever you do avoid the 2/3 multiage classes! They are lazy, will work with the kids they like and will just get by with others. They talk a good game but by the end of my time with them my child was a great 2nd grader, 3rd grade was a waste, wish I would have listened to the many people who told me to run from that class! Not to mention one of those teachers feels she can wear completely inappropriate attire for 2nd and 3rd graders or for any classroom for that matter (if you go there will be no question of who that is). if you steer clear of then you're good! Btw- the neighborhood is awesome so no complaints there...wish we cld have stayed longer.

Posted July 12, 2013
My son went here a few years back for kinder. It was great, such involvement from the teachers and parents, great school activities. Wonderful school!

Posted May 19, 2013
Westwood Elementary has a staff full of caring individuals who are equipped and willing to go the extra mile to care for your children. We have been w/the son since my son was in Kindergarten. We are happily moving to the 4th grade and we are looking forward to his continuous growth and development. Special shout out to Mr. Kardashian (3rd grade teacher). He is the epitome of discipline and standards. I personally love that. My son thrived in the structured environment he offered in his classroom. Let me mention that he cares about each one of the children immensely. Westwood is the best school in the area and I'm proud to call our family RoadRunners.

Posted June 01, 2012
This is a fantastic school! If you can get your child into the 2/3 multiage class with Mrs. Matsushita and Ms. Chopak, do it! I've had 2 boys in there so we've had 4 years total with these teachers and love them! They will truly be missed! Westwood is a great neighborhood and the blend of ethnicities is perfect. There are kids from all walks of life and my kids have learned so much from them.

Posted February 01, 2012
The best principal and great teachers. The principal truly cares a listen to you. When ever I had some concerns about my child's teacher or classroom environment, he acted right away. I love the program they have for math. My child is a first grader, and they tested all 1st graders for math on October and divided them to 3 groups pf high, middle, and low. So, whenever is math time, the kids move to their corresponding classes, so they can take the most advantage out of their math time. Even though, all should follow the same book and standards, but the higher group's teacher, teaches in faster pace to leave room for more brain engaging and out of the box problems; where as, the lower group can learn with their own pace without feeling the pressure of super hard problems. These groupings are not written on stone, and the kids may be moved up or down based on performance every month or two; as it happened to my kid several times. Parental involvement is super; and it is hard to find an empty spot to volunteer.

Posted October 09, 2010
When my son entered kindergarten at Westwood after two years of a Montessori environment it was a big adjustment to say the least...but the school staff was very supportive in making the transition for him a smooth one. There were challenges with his speech and language skills that the school addressed immediately. We had a meeting which included the school principle, his teacher and on site speech therapist. Together we came up with a schedule to help assist him. He worked with the therapist a few days a week; the schools extended student services staff would assist him with his speech assignments after school and the addtional work we did at home...all of us working to help my son; he entered first grade with the same skill set as his peers and a noticeable confidence that shines. As a single full time working mother it's hard enough getting through the week on the best of conditions. With the support from the family at Westwood; my son's progression was amazing. Westwood is a wonderful environment; their focus is on the students. I know my son is safe while in their care.

Posted September 14, 2009
Great school with proactive teachers and staff.

17449 Matinal Road, San Diego, CA  92127-1299
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. (858) 487-2026
Last modified Westwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.